Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stock Air Filter Fit In MP215 Airbox

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I'm thinking about getting this tune, but would use the OEM Motorcraft air filter that came with the car because I understand it's thicker with more pleats, so hopefully filters better. I also don't like oiled air filters, which I understand the Mountune one is. So, two questions-

1- Does the OEM one, especially from a '16, fit in the Mountune airbox? Some earlier posts said it did, just wanted to reconfirm.

2- If you don't use the Mountune one what, if anything, do you give up? If you lose a few hp or a little sound, I'll trade that for better filtration. I hope to keep this car a long time.

Thanks all and have a great holiday.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
I'm thinking about getting this tune, but would use the OEM Motorcraft air filter that came with the car because I understand it's thicker with more pleats, so hopefully filters better. I also don't like oiled air filters, which I understand the Mountune one is. So, two questions-

1- Does the OEM one, especially from a '16, fit in the Mountune airbox? Some earlier posts said it did, just wanted to reconfirm.

2- If you don't use the Mountune one what, if anything, do you give up? If you lose a few hp or a little sound, I'll trade that for better filtration. I hope to keep this car a long time.

The ST200 airbox which is the UK OEM version of the Mountune lower box comes stock with a paper filter so I'd venture to say yes it fits.

The OEM should fit fine. You can also pick up a foam filter from Ron @ Whoosh. Although I'd say the paper filter probably filters the best out of anything.
I have read for years that paper OEM filters do a better job of stopping small particles than oiled fabric or foam filters. The oiled filters can also get the MAF sensor dirtier as oil residue can get on it and hold dirt, though cleaning the sensor with CRC MAF sensor cleaner takes about 2 minutes. I have gone back to my OEM paper filter for the same reason as the OP.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Just looking at the Motorcraft OEM paper filter, as installed at the factory, it looks to be the MOST stout, and 'substantial' of all of the other paper filter variants out there, yes, even the Wix included (albeit that is probably the next best one).

The Mahle, as great a rep as they have as an outstanding filter company, just are not as thick, nor as sturdy as the Motorcraft.

I use an OEM filter in the ST200/Mountune +Velossa Airbox. Oddly my overseas one came with a stock ford filter. Maybe later switch but dont see any need. Dont think should give up much sound at all.

On MR230 tune for over 18k miles now, and did test the factory paper in the mountune air box for 306 miles last December. Fits fine, BUT, noticed -2 mpg degradation, and less power throughout rev range. Reinstalled mountune filter. (Because power corrupts, absolutely!)[deviltail]

When I look at how much more filter area the stock Motorcraft filter has, how many more pleats and the depth of the filter versus the oiled Mountune one, I can't see how an oiled gauze filter can really pass more air than the stock filter. The filter area on the Motorcraft is easily 10 times the surface area of an Mountune/K&N panel filter.
When I hold an oiled filter to the light the huge number of open pin holes does not give me much confidence it how much it filters. Probably keeps bugs and the bigger rocks out and not much else.
For a street driven car which I don't drive super aggressive, I'll take a better filter over a couple of horsepower, if in fact I am loosing anything.
I have switched back and forth and if there is any difference it is extremely marginal, maybe just slightly better throttle response.
Be nice to hear from someone that has done back to back dyno runs between Mountune/K&N filters and the OEM filter.
I do have the MP-215 map and airbox on mine.

When I look at how much more filter area the stock Motorcraft filter has, how many more pleats and the depth of the filter versus the oiled Mountune one, I can't see how an oiled gauze filter can really pass more air than the stock filter. The filter area on the Motorcraft is easily 10 times the surface area of an Mountune/K&N panel filter.
When I hold an oiled filter to the light the huge number of open pin holes does not give me much confidence it how much it filters. Probably keeps bugs and the bigger rocks out and not much else.
The reason the oiled gauze filter passes more air is because it provides less resistance to air passing through it. All of those open pin holes and less surface area of the filtering media means more air can be drawn through it.

The reason the oiled gauze filter passes more air is because it provides less resistance to air passing through it. All of those open pin holes and less surface area of the filtering media means more air can be drawn through it.
It would still be interesting to see a dyno comparison back to back with the Mountune versus stock Motorcraft filter. I am guessing a very minimal difference if any on a lightly modded car. I think some one may of posted that they did this, but I can't find the old post.

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
For a street driven car which I don't drive super aggressive, I'll take a better filter over a couple of horsepower, if in fact I am loosing anything.
I have switched back and forth and if there is any difference it is extremely marginal, maybe just slightly better throttle response.
Be nice to hear from someone that has done back to back dyno runs between Mountune/K&N filters and the OEM filter.
I do have the MP-215 map and airbox on mine.
Thanks, this answers my questions about whether the stock paper air filter definitely fits in the new Mountune airbox that comes with the MP215, and whether it most likely provides more or better filtration.

Last edited:

redmoe

I wish someone made a dry panel filter for this car. They seem to be the best compromise between flow and filtration.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I wish someone made a dry panel filter for this car. They seem to be the best compromise between flow and filtration.
I keep bugging both AirRaid and aFe to make us a washable DRY filter, but fat chance now that ours is a 'dead' platform. [mad] [:(]

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
On MR230 tune for over 18k miles now, and did test the factory paper in the mountune air box for 306 miles last December. Fits fine, BUT, noticed -2 mpg degradation, and less power throughout rev range. Reinstalled mountune filter. (Because power corrupts, absolutely!)[deviltail]
I imagine the hotter tune needs the air. But, with the ST200, it comes with a stock filter. The 200 is very similar to the MP215, power wise and air box wise, so the panel filter probably has no real effect if the MP215 is all you do to it.

Did you go from MP215 to MR230? I am considering the change over and was wondering what you thought of it, and if you did all the exact Mountune parts or if you did some things differently (intercooler, exhaust, boost pipes, etc).

Did you go from MP215 to MR230? I am considering the change over and was wondering what you thought of it, and if you did all the exact Mountune parts or if you did some things differently (intercooler, exhaust, boost pipes, etc).
MP215 to MR230. I like the MR230...but being a locked tune, I don't have first-person perspective on other custom AP tunes. MR230 requires good 93 octane. I run a Shell 91 and VP MS109 mix. The MR230 will still pull to about 5400 rpm, and not just die after 3600 like the MP215. Just don't expect hybrid or big-turbo mid-to-upper rpm performance. I'm not using my FiST for track nor strip, just spirited drives in the local canyons, and the occasional daily commute.

I'm running the complete MR230 mountune setup with a GFB DV+.

(Currently eyeing a x47+ hybrid...because Power corrupts, Absolutely![deviltail])

MP215 to MR230. I like the MR230...but being a locked tune, I don't have first-person perspective on other custom AP tunes. MR230 requires good 93 octane. I run a Shell 91 and VP MS109 mix. The MR230 will still pull to about 5400 rpm, and not just die after 3600 like the MP215. Just don't expect hybrid or big-turbo mid-to-upper rpm performance. I'm not using my FiST for track nor strip, just spirited drives in the local canyons, and the occasional daily commute.

I'm running the complete MR230 mountune setup with a GFB DV+.

(Currently eyeing a x47+ hybrid...because Power corrupts, Absolutely![deviltail])
Thanks much for the reply! Did you have to retune for the MS109? The stoich ratio for MS109 is much leaner than pump gas, I used to blend it in my 5.0 coyote with a tune but the computer wasnt too happy with that. I have access to 93 and usually up the E85 content to a net E15 or so, within stock limits per Ford, about 94 octane net. Works great on the MP215. Are you seeing knock with straight 93 gas on the MR230? I am running the stock BPV too, didnt want to swap over but considering it. Would just be a lot cheaper for me to go MR230 right now since all I need is the turboback exhaust and the tune, vs the whole turbo swap kit and labor/etc for the MRX. The MP215 with intercooler and catback works great and tons of traction, lots of torque, but I was curious how much better the MR230 would be.

Thanks much for the reply! Did you have to retune for the MS109? The stoich ratio for MS109 is much leaner than pump gas, I used to blend it in my 5.0 coyote with a tune but the computer wasnt too happy with that. I have access to 93 and usually up the E85 content to a net E15 or so, within stock limits per Ford, about 94 octane net. Works great on the MP215. Are you seeing knock with straight 93 gas on the MR230? I am running the stock BPV too, didnt want to swap over but considering it. Would just be a lot cheaper for me to go MR230 right now since all I need is the turboback exhaust and the tune, vs the whole turbo swap kit and labor/etc for the MRX. The MP215 with intercooler and catback works great and tons of traction, lots of torque, but I was curious how much better the MR230 would be.
MS109 is used to increase octane since 93 is not available at the pump in CA.

The GFB DV+ helps hold available boost. Downside is more noticeable rev-hang.

MR230 is an improvement over the MP215. But when I installed the MR230 mid-2015, the x-27 was just starting to ship stateside and the MRx has yet to be developed. The biggest down-side is the of the MP215/MR230 is the locked Accessport. I really like the MR230, but there are a lot more (dare say better) options now.

...now back to the original topic.

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #20
I'm getting closer to getting the MP215 and asked Mountune and Ford Performance what they thought of using the stock Motorcraft paper filter in the MP215 airbox.
Mountune as expected wants you to use their air filters, and said their oiled air filters filter just as well, which seems unlikely based on comments on here.
Ford Performance was fine with using the oem paper Motorcraft filter with the MP215 airbox, and thought there would be no to negligible power loss.