Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Anyone else experience exhaust hitting underbody?

green_henry

1000 Post Club
My FiST is still almost new (~5k) and I've already had some unexpected noise. While I was installing my rear sway bar, I noticed that the exhaust moved a fair bit under very modest pressure, so I installed some Mountune exhaust hangers and now most of the noises are gone.

codestp202

Stiffer aftermarket hangars help a whole lot. Mine was bouncing and melting the rear bumper. If you do any spirited driving they are well worth it.

Mine thumps on the underbody right at the bend that goes over the beam. I have the Mountune catback along with their hangers.

I was expecting more from Mountune, the fitment kinda sucks. It mounts way to high, even bending hangers it still didn't provide enough clearance.

Ylli

I have the Friedrich Motorsport Catback with stiffer hangers.

Do you plan on keeping the car? Then put it on the lift. Everywhere you think it could hit the underbody, take a wrench or something and just hit that aluminum thingy and bend it inwards a bit (yes, that sounds very cheap and idiotic but it worked wonders for me, it won't be able to hit that spot anymore no matter the movement). Oversize catbacks here in Germany and switzerland will usually hit the underbody, even with different hangers and all sorts of trying to fix it.

I'll Keep my car until it gives up so that was the best solution for me.

Mine thumps on the underbody right at the bend that goes over the beam. I have the Mountune catback along with their hangers.

I was expecting more from Mountune, the fitment kinda sucks. It mounts way to high, even bending hangers it still didn't provide enough clearance.
I have the same setup, and had the same issues. Mine was also interfering with the heat shielding by the fuel tank. Their clamps are also garbage, which I suspect Mountune knows since they modified the eyelets on them. I just replaced them with some stainless band clamps.

FYI - I was able to get the alignment reasonably good by putting a 3/8" spacer on the muffler side of the rearmost hanger, which basically pushes the muffler hanger out of the urethane. I then trimmed the bottom of the urethane so that the flare on the hanger locks in properly.

I've been doing stuff like this for years and aftermarket exhausts almost never fit like factory, but I was expecting a bit more from an $800 system. I wasn't exactly thrilled that the box said "made in taiwan" either.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Never. My 3" Thermal comes very close but never comes in contact with it. I have the Powerflex Urethane hangers.