Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Rota Grid 17x8, Am I Good to Go?

Hey guys, this is my first time putting aftermarket wheels on a car and I would like some input on if this setup will work out.

- Stock suspension

- Firehawk Indy 500 205/40r17

- Rota Grid 17x8 40 73

- UberTechnic 63.4 ID x 73.1 OD hub rings

- Gorilla Lugnuts

I'm a little confused on the hub-centric rings. I see conflicting posts about plastic melting vs. aluminum bonding to the wheel, and I see conflicting posts about 73.1mm vs 73mm. I only see a 0.1mm difference so I don't see how that wouldn't work.

felopr

Hey guys, this is my first time putting aftermarket wheels on a car and I would like some input on if this setup will work out.

- Stock suspension

- Firehawk Indy 500 205/40r17

- Rota Grid 17x8 40 73

- UberTechnic 63.4 ID x 73.1 OD hub rings

- Gorilla Lugnuts

I'm a little confused on the hub-centric rings. I see conflicting posts about plastic melting vs. aluminum bonding to the wheel, and I see conflicting posts about 73.1mm vs 73mm. I only see a 0.1mm difference so I don't see how that wouldn't work.
you wont have a problem with plastic hub on the street and you can get away with it on an autox, but on a track day they will melt imo, happend to me once on a track civic. not melt like a goo/liquid but deform themself.
in my opinion, plastic for daily driving
aluminium if you ever going to track it.
put a little antisiege paste (where it meets the rotor) and that should stop from bonding

green_henry

1000 Post Club
I haven't had any melting issues with plastic hub rings (albeit on a different car), but they got really loose and would fall out when I removed and rotated the wheels. I asked TireRack if they had aluminum rings and they did not. The Ubertechnic rings look nice; get them and use a little anti-seize compound.

As for the wheels, I'd be a little concerned with 8s; I think they're overkill for 205s but this is based mainly on my experience with a different car. 7.5s would probably be perfect, but I don't think they exist for our 4x108 pattern :(

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
I don't see the point in going to a 17x8 if you're gonna use stock size tires, unless you want that stretched look...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

CSM

1000 Post Club
all good but I def wouldn't go 205 on a 8" wheel. I'd rather use a 215/45/17 on those 17x8 wheels. Wider tire + added comfort of 45 series tire

OP
JFrye
Thread Starter #6
Thanks for the responses!

I just looked up the specs on the current tires on stock wheels and the manufacturer recommends a wheel width range of 7-8" so I'm gonna go with the 17x8s and the aluminum hub spacers [party]

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
I haven't had any melting issues with plastic hub rings (albeit on a different car), but they got really loose and would fall out when I removed and rotated the wheels. I asked TireRack if they had aluminum rings and they did not. The Ubertechnic rings look nice; get them and use a little anti-seize compound.

As for the wheels, I'd be a little concerned with 8s; I think they're overkill for 205s but this is based mainly on my experience with a different car. 7.5s would probably be perfect, but I don't think they exist for our 4x108 pattern :(
Not Rota's, but Team Dynamics has 7.5's.

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/1248-Pro-Race-Wheels-For-Your-Fiesta-ST-!

My aluminum rings have never come close to bonding. Plastic rings work fine but if they see a lot of heavy use over time they may warp a little.

Tires, you could also consider a 215/40/17. Not sure if a 205/45/17 would work but they would help prevent some of the tire stretch from a 205/40 on an 8" wheel.

Very interested to see this setup though, I like grids. Do you already have the wheels?!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The 215/40-17s are just about perfect, since even the widest of them are just 'square' with the 8" wheel width in tread width, and they are not overly tall (ALL under 24" in diameter), so rubbing, even on a lowered, (but NOT 'slammed') FiST is less likely.

You even get a little bit more sidewall for that 'cush' effect on the street over the 205/40-17s. :)

That being said, IF there were a 100 tread wear or more 225/40-17 made, they would be on my 17x8 1.2s in a heartbeat! (Again, ricer stretch, and it's supposed 'turn-in' response improvements be DAMNED!) ;)

OP
JFrye
Thread Starter #14
My aluminum rings have never come close to bonding. Plastic rings work fine but if they see a lot of heavy use over time they may warp a little.

Tires, you could also consider a 215/40/17. Not sure if a 205/45/17 would work but they would help prevent some of the tire stretch from a 205/40 on an 8" wheel.

Very interested to see this setup though, I like grids. Do you already have the wheels?!
Firestone says it’s a-okay for this tire, but I’m just a little worried about not having enough protection for my wheel. Coming from the realm of 4x4 trucks, I’m still trying to learn how close I can park to a curb. I’ve only got 5k miles on these tires so it’ll be a while until I can change it up.

I ordered the wheels yesterday morning so they should be mounted first week of the year! I’ll be sure to check back with you guys with the results, pictures, etc. I don’t plan on dropping the car lower because California roads are atrocious. I’m pretty excited.

And yeah bronze Grids is sacrilege to my normal tastes, but I saw a picture of a white Miata with these wheels and it looked great.

I looked at those as well, but I have committed to the 4x100 conversion and will be ordering wheels tomorrow. All other major modifications should be done so figured that conversion would be the final touch for awhile. Very interested to see the grids though! I'm looking at 17x8 +40 as well.

OP
JFrye
Thread Starter #17
So there's quite a bit of stretch. I'm digging them so far but I'm going to have to drive hard and wear these tires out so I can get 225s. The company that sold me the wheels accidentally sold me 63.35mm hub bore so I didn't need the hub ring adapters.

The 225 tire selection is not very big. 215/40 or even a 205/45 would be the way to go if you’re retaining stock suspension. Def too stretched for my tastes but wheels look great!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yes, a 225/45-17 at ~25.0" tall average height, might be a bit too tall and wide for even a stock suspension/factory height.

The Yoko S.Drives are the only 225/35-17 available here in the states, and there are NO 225/40-17s available here besides the un-streetable, race ONLY Hossier A/R7s. :(

I'm committing to the fifteen52 fender flares for my FiST, and I want to go for some turbomac wheels as well on stock suspension. on a 17x8 with the right offset could I be using a 235/40 or possibly a 245/35?