Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Can't get lugs off one wheel

So I was able to get all the lugnuts loose by hammering on a 19mm on 3/4 wheels. However, on my passenger front wheel I can't get a 19mm on any of the lugs no matter what I try, nor a 3/4s. Then when I try a 20mm, it fits fine, but just spins the cap.

I had a ford dealer replace 4 lugs on this car after a local tire shop rounded them off, so wondering if they maybe gave me different size lugs?

Anyone have any ideas on how I can get these off? So far my only thought is to drill into the caps, and try to peel them off with a screw driver and a pliars, but there has to be a better way...

Cannot wait to get these off and get these new not terribly designed lugnuts on

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I do believe there is a class action lawsuit about Ford's capped lug nuts on numerous vehicles....they were rounding off and people were paying a couple hundred dollars for removal and new nuts installed. I encountered this at about 10k in ...after my wheels were rotated and I went to take mine off to put some parts in....I had about 6 that were having the issue. So I got some after market lug nuts and never looked back. I ended up pounding on a 18mm and it's a bitch to get them out of the socket. I just banged the socket on my Hoist arm as I spun the socket and they eventually will come out. Ron at whoosh sells some nice aftermarket lug nuts...compared to the dealers....$5-8 a piece....now times by qty-20....Ron's lug nuts at whoosh look very tasty and can be had in colors also unlike the dealer. They are also one PIECE....not capped! Merry Christmas and Happy new year!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Intuit

3000 Post Club
A web search seems to say that this isn't unusual for lugs and studs. The capped-off lugs may simply be less durable versus defective. The lawsuit may be difficult to pursue once Ford points out that some portion of them show evidence of over-torquing; which unfortunately is not an usual occurrence in garages. (especially after a customer looses a wheel driving down the road) Prior vehicle, there were times I could move the entire car before torquing a lug nut loose. The dealership couldn't remove a lug on my Father's vehicle. Rather than destroy the parts, they ordered replacements and gave the vehicle back until they came in. These were all standard lugs and studs.

OP
R
Thread Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys.

Just to update this in case anyone comes across this post with the same issue, hammering on a 19mm socket worked for 3/4 wheels. However, those last 4 lugs were completely destroyed, caps were much more swollen than the others, obviously waaaay overtorqued. A 19mm would not fit on them regardless, and a 20mm just spun the cap. I ended up having to drill a hole into each of them, and peel the caps off one by one with a screw driver and a pliars, not fun. In most cases, hammering a socket on should work, but keep in mind this car is only 1 year old, all it takes is one careless tech to impact your lugs on.

Lesson: Replace your lugs immediately after buying this car.

So I was able to get all the lugnuts loose by hammering on a 19mm on 3/4 wheels. However, on my passenger front wheel I can't get a 19mm on any of the lugs no matter what I try, nor a 3/4s. Then when I try a 20mm, it fits fine, but just spins the cap.

I had a ford dealer replace 4 lugs on this car after a local tire shop rounded them off, so wondering if they maybe gave me different size lugs?

Anyone have any ideas on how I can get these off? So far my only thought is to drill into the caps, and try to peel them off with a screw driver and a pliars, but there has to be a better way...

Cannot wait to get these off and get these new not terribly designed lugnuts on

I recommend using a 19.5 mm socket to remove them as I ran into the same issue. Have a bench vise, flathead, and mallet ready to knock them out of the socket when they come off. Hopefully this helps anyone in 2020 and beyond.

the 19mm ford lug nuts expand due to heat when customers drive them and when techs try to take them off they get rounded off. some toyota lug nuts are the same.. kinda trash but a decent set of aftermarket ones are pretty nice