Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Boomba Short Shifter instal - Reverse Lockout problem.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Evening gents.

In dry fitting the components together today I noticed that the reverse lockout piece does not slide all the way down the shifter like it used to. As it stands, the lockout is barely below the threshold of allowing entry into reverse while it is fully down. Below are images showing what I am talking about. Has anyone else noticed this? I cannot physically get it to go any lower, Boomba's has a wide collar on the arm that is fatter than the hole in the lockout sleeve.

IMG_1002.JPG
IMG_1001.JPG
IMG_1003.JPG

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
It took me a hour to find out why on my car

You need to grind the stopper on the inside of the shaft. I wish I had a computer to show you better in a picture. But if you look at it you can see what is preventing it from going down all the way. It took me a minute to figure it out

OP
kivnul

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Thread Starter #3
It took me a hour to find out why on my car

You need to grind the stopper on the inside of the shaft. I wish I had a computer to show you better in a picture. But if you look at it you can see what is preventing it from going down all the way. It took me a minute to figure it out
I see the stopper. Ill knock it down. I am wondering if the older fiestas did not have the nub so Boomba had no way of knowing of this problem when they designed the shifter.

OP
kivnul

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Thread Starter #4
Posting for folks who may have this problem in the future. This may apply to folks who don't notice this during assembly. I could see this creating a rough shift feeling 1st to 2nd as well as a barely functioning reverse lockout. I took a dremel and removed the plastic to turn it from convex to concave matching the roundness of the rest of the plastic.

IMG_1004.JPG

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
Yes! You got it

It took me a while to find it out also. Couldn't find anything online anywhere

My car is also. 2017

I had the same issue, I took a different approach. I modeled and printed a new one without the nub haha, though my intention is to at some point be able to make the shifter an inch or two longer and slightly more angled back, so having it designed it would be easy to extend the length

Boomba Racing

1000 Post Club
So we just checked with our engineers here and pulled out the piece we used to develop this shifter when we were testing for fitment on the 2016+. It appears that the piece we developed this on is a shifter from a 2016 Fiesta ST but the lockout does not have that little "nub" on the inside.

This is something that will have to be edited into the installation guide moving forwards. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Thanks kivnul! I’ve had my shifter installed for a few months and it’s been great other than moving into the reverse position too far left on occasion if I apply too much pressure that way. That nub was causing it to sit too high on the shaft. Problem solved!

Also wanted to thank the OP of this thread.
I installed mine over the holidays and ran into the same issue, the fix described worked like a charm

Evening gents.

In dry fitting the components together today I noticed that the reverse lockout piece does not slide all the way down the shifter like it used to. As it stands, the lockout is barely below the threshold of allowing entry into reverse while it is fully down. Below are images showing what I am talking about. Has anyone else noticed this? I cannot physically get it to go any lower, Boomba's has a wide collar on the arm that is fatter than the hole in the lockout sleeve.

View attachment 16545
View attachment 16546
View attachment 16547
Oh I don’t know. I’ll look at that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m installing my kit on a 2016 and I’m having a weird issue with my reverse lock out. It won’t slide all the way down. Hopping this helps. Boombas products are quality stuff but man to they need help with their install instructions. They filled or take picture in a dark cave! Lol an extra 5-10 seconds on showing where to trim with actual angles would have helped a ton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just installed mine and ran into nearly the same issue except I have no nubs to knock off. My reverse lockout collar is completely smooth from the factory.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk