Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Need help choosing the next direction to go

Well the mod bug has officially bit me with this car. I tried hard, really hard, to leave it mostly alone as I bought it to be a fun daily to my near race ready Mustang. The car is of course a ton of fun, but is a bit underwhelming in the acceleration department. I will never upgrade the turbo and will likely leave the factory intake as well (or Mountune Box if that route w/ filter). Not opposed to doing a FMIC or catless downpipe if necessary.

My car is a 2016 with 17k miles on it. I already have ported the OEM airbox and K&N filter, Boomba shift plate, JLT oil separator, and Cobb rear mount. Next logical step is of course a tune, and this is where my dilemma is. I initially was near set on the MP215 package as I like having a fun car with a warranty and with it still being on sale it's not a horrible deal at $850 (I work at an ASE shop so have install covered). However the car enthusiast in me doesn't like that I can't really upgrade from the MP215 kit without buying everything over again. Also reading that the powertrain warranty is effectively reduced to 3 yr/36k miles if the failure occurs due to the tune is a bit of a turnoff.

A couple other of the tuning options are buying an Accessport from Mountune with a custom tune from Randy, or buying a used Accessport and then having Stratified or Adam at Tune+ write me a file. A Cobb OTS file is not really in consideration but would initially run it if I bought a used AP.

There are a lot of threads discussing which tune to get, but I haven't seen many inputs from people who have had one of these and changed to another. I am definitely getting a tune, but I'd like to know how much "better" a custom Mountune, Stratified, or Tune+ file is over the MP215 file.

Has anyone started with the MP215 and gone a different route without changing any hard parts? I see on Mountunes site that the MP215 puts down around 240 tq while their custom tune supposedly puts down 260 tq.

I love this car and enjoy hearing how much better a tune makes these things. Can't wait to see it firsthand!

Quisp

1000 Post Club
There was someone who went from MP215 to custom and was happy about it. I've hqd an engine replacement and clutch replacement ( the clutch probably due to improper install during engine installation) while tuned. I just unmarried it before taking it in.

I am a former mountune customer, the 215, the 230 and their fmic. save yourself some dough and step up the ic to something bigger and do a tune that is open to upgrades. I wished I had just bought the x37 first. the 215 and 230 are just paper weights. nearly gave the ic away. bob

TDavis

1000 Post Club
FMIC (whoosh or depo) + tune turns it into a whole new car.

And dont worry about warranty.
Lets be honest. Just an octane tune alone transforms the car. An intercooler is also a great thing to have.

DaveG99

Lets be honest. Just an octane tune alone transforms the car. An intercooler is also a great thing to have.
But without the FMIC you will not get as much performance out of it. The FMIC allows you to have a much more aggressive tune.

I am a former mountune customer, the 215, the 230 and their fmic. save yourself some dough and step up the ic to something bigger and do a tune that is open to upgrades. I wished I had just bought the x37 first. the 215 and 230 are just paper weights. nearly gave the ic away. bob
I'm the guy that bought Bob's Mountune IC and to be honest it's been working great for me. I'm going to be swapping the turbo soon and will likely get a bigger IC as well but the Mountune is serving me well. When I sell it I will likely sell it for what Bob sold it to me for and pay it forward so to speak.

OP
Speedboosted
Thread Starter #9
Thanks for the input so far guys, I think I will pass on the MP215 kit. Does anyone know if custom tunes are able to limit boost a little in the first two gears? It already always spins 1st and often times 2nd, I can't imagine what all the extra torque is going to do lol

I thought I had read something about aftermarket downpipes making less power on a stock turbo...is there any truth to that or is it one of those backpressure myths that can't die soon enough?

glad it is working for you. it was my intent to make sure somebody got some use out of it. glad you see it the same way. bob

DaveG99

Thanks for the input so far guys, I think I will pass on the MP215 kit. Does anyone know if custom tunes are able to limit boost a little in the first two gears? It already always spins 1st and often times 2nd, I can't imagine what all the extra torque is going to do lol

I thought I had read something about aftermarket downpipes making less power on a stock turbo...is there any truth to that or is it one of those backpressure myths that can't die soon enough?
Your tuner can put the traction control into the tune which keeps the wheels at the perfect amount of grip during hard acceleration. Its adjustable and works much better than the factory setup.

OP
Speedboosted
Thread Starter #13
Just an update. Picked up an AP3 from the classifieds section on here and am extremely satisfied. Got really lucky, the guy had an identical car to mine so both the Mountune and Stratified tunes loaded up and work great on my car!