Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What's This Engine Piece/Is It Supposed To Be Loose?

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
While checking under the hood I noticed that this black plastic panel (Now circled w/green line, redid photo as this is my first time with Paint to draw on photos) to the left of the battery and to the right of the intake hose was loose, I could move it around a bit with my finger. I tried to tighten the phillips screw in the center (circled in blue), and it doesn't tighten, just spins freely.
My guess is it's supposed to be loose to allow for engine movement, but just wanted to know what it is and if it's supposed to be loose from those more proficient at working on their car than I am. Ignore the hose above that's also in my circle. Thanks. FIST TRIM PIECE.jpg

Last edited:

zanethan

What's This/Is It Supposed To Be Loose?

Not sure what specifically the cover is for but the screw isn't a screw. It's a plastic button retainer (not sure if that's the technical term). Basically it's a fancy plastic trim clip, thus why it just spins freely.

Zissou

As others have said, it won't "tighten", hell mine's been missing the clip for at least 20k now
I lost one of those clips taking the bumper off. You can get replacements at a body supply shop. It was less than a dollar for a couple. The Ford dealership in my town actually didn't have any.

I lost one of those clips taking the bumper off. You can get replacements at a body supply shop. It was less than a dollar for a couple. The Ford dealership in my town actually didn't have any.
That's because dealership techs never lose or break those clips. They would never dream of sending a customer down the road with clips missing. [ohcrap]

Lol yeah, I bought a bag of like 100 a couple years back, always forget to do it when I'm under the hood though

Those are commonly called scrivets. I just replied because scrivet is a fun word.