Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Roof-mounted Light Bars?

[poke]

Has anyone put a light bar on their roof? I do some night time back road driving, and it drives me crazy how the headlights cast shadows over the road ahead if there is a small rise in the road, making it difficult to see what's coming up. The only thing I can think of is to have a light bar (or something) mounted higher than my line-of-sight.

I was thinking of maybe mounting it to an aftermarket roof rack so it's removable when I don't need it. Could also provide a good place for extra lighting for reverse...

I know I've seen pics where someone actually screwed the lights to the roof (maybe even the hood?) in the past, but searches aren't bringing them up.

OP
Spaceman_Spiff
Thread Starter #4
Close, but no cigar. I'm looking for ROOF MOUNTED lights, not in the grill. Defeats the purpose entirely by having them in the grill, it's the same height (maybe lower?) as the headlights. Thanks for the suggestion, tho [like]

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
There also is that newer company making the DHM design intercoolers and crash bars that puts a light bar on the crash bar if requested.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Close, but no cigar. I'm looking for ROOF MOUNTED lights, not in the grill. Defeats the purpose entirely by having them in the grill, it's the same height (maybe lower?) as the headlights. Thanks for the suggestion, tho [like]
I can understand that preference for aesthetic purposes. In terms of functionality, rally folks may prefer the high-mounted ones because they're less susceptible to getting totally covered up by mud.

But it isn't the location of the headlamps that cause the cut-off, it is the aiming of them. High-beams for instance, will aim high enough to light-up the highway road signs.

So you could still mount them in the grill while aiming them high. Regardless of where they're mounted though, you'll still be faced with the same problem as the standard high-beam lamps... manually flipping them on/off as you encounter traffic.

OP
Spaceman_Spiff
Thread Starter #7
But it isn't the location of the headlamps that cause the cut-off, it is the aiming of them. High-beams for instance, will aim high enough to light-up the highway road signs. So you could still mount them in the grill while aiming them high.
I beg to differ. The problem is that the lights are shining from a lower angle than what my eyeballs are looking from. It's not a big deal if the road is flat, everything is lit just fine; however, when there is a rise in an otherwise flat road, the lights can't shine past it but I can still see past it (except for the shadow it casts). Does that make sense? I can put together a fancy graphic if it helps - but the point is that I'm looking for a way to mount the lights higher than the bumper.

Regardless of where they're mounted though, you'll still be faced with the same problem as the standard high-beam lamps... manually flipping them on/off as you encounter traffic.
I found a video on youtube of a Focus with one mounted on a roof rack/basket, wired in to the high beams, which is pretty much the way I'd do it (minus the basket).

Zissou

So what if you do a roof top basket and mount a LED light bar to the front of that? I'm thinking that could look pretty cool and be super functional.

Here's a pic I found of one of our members with a roof basket.

OP
Spaceman_Spiff
Thread Starter #10
So what if you do a roof top basket and mount a LED light bar to the front of that? I'm thinking that could look pretty cool and be super functional.

Here's a pic I found of one of our members with a roof basket.

Yeah, that guy even mentioned in the thread that he was going to put a light bar on it, but there weren't any updates after :/
Here's a youtube video of someone doing exactly that with a Focus.

I was hoping someone had already gone through this project and could offer up some tips (and pics!). Maybe I'll just have to forge a new path here...

Light bars are for trucks. Having done plenty of late night touge I'll tell you nobody uses lightbars. Bright lights mounted low in foglight positions or in the grill are very common. The lightbar is going to create insane drag and disturb the handling of the car. As for road conditions, know them. Do not out drive your headlights at night (braking distance > headlight visibility) unless you have been down that road during the day and know/have memorized where the major potholes are.

Just ditch the notion of a lightbar, unless you wanna go hardpark next to the duallies.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Yeah, that guy even mentioned in the thread that he was going to put a light bar on it, but there weren't any updates after :/
Here's a youtube video of someone doing exactly that with a Focus.

I was hoping someone had already gone through this project and could offer up some tips (and pics!). Maybe I'll just have to forge a new path here...
Reminds me of a police vehicle. Might be prudent to find out what equipment they use to mount theirs. (keeping in mind that anything sold to govt is going to be a minimal of 3x the normal price)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I would eventually consider the hood mounted, rally style 'pods' IF they did not involve drilling holes into the car. [:(]
(Every cop around here would probably stop me for having them even on the car, let alone lit up anyway.)

OP
Spaceman_Spiff

Spaceman_Spiff

Thread Starter #17
Ever think about trading it in for an EcoSport? A roof light bar might look much more at home on it!
I honestly hadn't even heard of those, I had to google to see what you were even talking about lol

Light bars are for trucks. Having done plenty of late night touge I'll tell you nobody uses lightbars. Bright lights mounted low in foglight positions or in the grill are very common. The lightbar is going to create insane drag and disturb the handling of the car. As for road conditions, know them. Do not out drive your headlights at night (braking distance > headlight visibility) unless you have been down that road during the day and know/have memorized where the major potholes are.

Just ditch the notion of a lightbar, unless you wanna go hardpark next to the duallies.
I don't really care about keeping up with the cool kids. Deer are attracted to cars around here, and the more I can see ahead of me the better. Even on the roads I drive every day, I never know when a critter is going to be sitting there waiting to ambush me (tricky little S.O.B.'s are out to get me!). Also, since I'm hoping to make it somewhat "modular", if I'm going to be driving back roads at night a lot I can put it on; otherwise it can stay in my garage.

Reminds me of a police vehicle. Might be prudent to find out what equipment they use to mount theirs. (keeping in mind that anything sold to govt is going to be a minimal of 3x the normal price)
Yeah, sure. But I believe they are permanently mounted, and I'm trying to avoid that. Hence the removable aftermarket roof rack. I appreciate your suggestions, tho!

Doordriver

[poke]

Has anyone put a light bar on their roof? I do some night time back road driving, and it drives me crazy how the headlights cast shadows over the road ahead if there is a small rise in the road, making it difficult to see what's coming up. The only thing I can think of is to have a light bar (or something) mounted higher than my line-of-sight.

I was thinking of maybe mounting it to an aftermarket roof rack so it's removable when I don't need it. Could also provide a good place for extra lighting for reverse...

I know I've seen pics where someone actually screwed the lights to the roof (maybe even the hood?) in the past, but searches aren't bringing them up.

.... did you ever do this? I found this in net search results because im thinking of doing this. I have exact same problem as you. I delivery drive and need more light as you did. Im thinking of getting roof racks, front and back, then putting 4 cube lights, one at each corner, 2 facing front, 2 facing out the back. Maybe 2 light bars facing out each side. Does anyone know the legality of roof lights? I've never dealt with them. I won't be "offroading". Just everyday driving. Thanks for any replys.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
It can vary state by state ..But most are for 4x4 off roading only. You could "utilize" them on side roads versus Highways and interstates. Where it wont draw as much attention*[rockon]