Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Self Powered Sub install help?

Hello all, I have a Kicker Substation PES10C that I have had for a few years and been in storage for about 2 years or so. Looking to put it into the Fist, but I cannot for the life of me remember what is needed or how I am can wire it up.

I know I need to run power from the battery to the sub, but other than that as far as the remote wire and RCA cables I am lost. Any guidance on a kit or a how to would be appreciated really don't want to sell it as it is a pretty nice unit.

Thanks

OP
spdkills83
Thread Starter #5
Ok I followed the guide above and I got my powered sub to come on, but nothing is happening. I tapped the passenger side rear speakers as illustrated in the write up with a LOC. Made sure RCA's were correct and am getting nothing.
Only thing I can think of is the LOC is bad as I went to adjust the gains on it and they broke on me. I bought everything new from crutchfield as well.

Think the Line out converter is just bad? I would think as long as I am getting power to the powered sub that is the only thing it could be.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks

Why are you using an LOC? Based on a quick search of the Kicker Substation PES10C, it has high and low level inputs. Basically it has a built in LOC. You can run a parallel set of speaker wires from the driver or passenger rear speaker and use this as your input source.

If you did use an LOC then which LOC did you purchase? If you recently bought it from Crutchfield it probably is the Scosche LOC90. If that is the case, then you can expect to get up to 4 volts of A/C out of the RCA jacks of the LOC90 with ~3/4 of the volume of the main head unit in the car (see crutchfield Scosche LOC90 manual). Use a multimeter to check that you are getting voltage out of the LOC at the RCA jacks. Additionally, check to make sure the base knob is turned up to ~ 1/2 volume. If no voltage out of the LOC then you either have a wiring issue, incorrect settings, or a bad unit.

Best of luck,

gary

Note:

OP
spdkills83
Thread Starter #7
Thanks for your reply, unfortunately I am not savvy in audio. I just had this sub lying around from a previous install and instead of it just sitting there thought I would try to put it in.

As far as running speaker wire to the inputs how does one do that? My box has an input switch from hi to low and an RCA plug. Do I just cut the RCAs off the plug and wire the speaker wire to the plug? Would I flip it to hi vs low if this is the case?

The loc I bought was actually the $10.00 one from crutch field the scosche LC 80.

I have a PAC SNI 35 coming though.

Passenger side speakers are already tapped with posi taps also.

Thanks for the help and sorry for newb audio questions, really do not mess with this stuff enough to know much about it.

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Follow the picture below and you can connect the speaker wires directly to the amp via the High-Level inputs.

OP
spdkills83
Thread Starter #9
Thanks for the help guess cutting the RCAs and flipping the switch is in order. I will give it a try.

I appreciate the help guys.

Thank you

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Thanks for the help guess cutting the RCAs and flipping the switch is in order. I will give it a try.

I appreciate the help guys.

Thank you
You don't need to cut the RCA cables. You can just hook it up directly from the speaker wires. If you've already tapped into the speaker wires from the B-pillar, just hook it directly to the amp's high level input. (Which are the gray/black stripe and white/black stripe wires in the picture.)

OP
spdkills83
Thread Starter #11
Booked every thing up and flipped it to hi and still nothing. There is a switch on the box that powers the amp on when it gets audio signal. I flipped it to that to come on if it gets signal and it powered on when the music came on, but nothing came out of the speaker.

I even took the taps out of the rear speaker wires and hard wired them to the speaker wire I ran for the hi level inputs. Just in case there was a connection issue.

The speaker itself could be bad, but that is hard for me to think as it worked fine before putting it up for storage a few years back.

Thanks for the guidance, even downloaded the manual for the powered sub to see if I am missing anything.

Also I turned all knobs up as high as they go and turned the factory unit to 25 and did not get anything.

OP
spdkills83
Thread Starter #12
Also, got a multimeter and set it to ACV as the manual suggested and I am getting 11.5 out of the +\- speaker wires I ran for the hi level inputs.

OP
spdkills83
Thread Starter #13
Well I guess leaving everything hooked up over night worked magic as I started the car this morning and it was working. Only thing I can possibly figure was maybe a touch of corrosion on some of the connectors that plug into the box. Cleaned everything up using electrical component cleaner and everything seems to be working as before.

Will add pics later on again thanks for the help.

OP
spdkills83
Thread Starter #15
Still having some minor issues to sort out so everything is still a mess right now. Not having good weather doesn't help and where I don't DD it I have not got to work on it much in 2 weeks or so.

Will post a pic if/when I get it going properly.