Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

A solution for those who want a 2-door Fiesta in the US.

Bluedrank

I think you're going to have a tough time finding many people willing to buy a cheap car like ours and then pay somebody a decent amount of money to cut it up to turn it into a 2 door car. I feel as if nothing good could come of trying to turn a 4 door into a 2 door.

OP
M

MilesKim25

Thread Starter #3
I think you're going to have a tough time finding many people willing to buy a cheap car like ours and then pay somebody a decent amount of money to cut it up to turn it into a 2 door car. I feel as if nothing good could come of trying to turn a 4 door into a 2 door.
Well, as I stated in the original post, the procedure would not include modfying anything in the frame. The reason why I was attracted to the idea was because there would be no need of "cutting up" (also stated in the original post). And considering there are numerous articles and even petitions to bring the 2 door version into the US, I think I would find a good amount of people that would want to do the conversion. People like converted cars because they are unique, and sometimes cooler than the ones they are used to in their home country. In the same way people pay tons to convert their Chevy SS into an Australian ute, I believe there would be a market for something like this.

Might be more money in converting Mazda2’s into fiesta ST’s. You’d loose a lot of weight, have a better car, and it would be very unique. A wrecked fist with a good set of front/rear sub frames would be your main ingredients.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Well, as I stated in the original post, the procedure would not include modfying anything in the frame. The reason why I was attracted to the idea was because there would be no need of "cutting up" (also stated in the original post). And considering there are numerous articles and even petitions to bring the 2 door version into the US, I think I would find a good amount of people that would want to do the conversion. People like converted cars because they are unique, and sometimes cooler than the ones they are used to in their home country. In the same way people pay tons to convert their Chevy SS into an Australian ute, I believe there would be a market for something like this.
Would this come under 'kit car exemptions' as far as NHTSA/DOT crash testing and such, or are those 'gummint' agencies now gone in this current regime in power, so no worries about them? [dunno]

There is also still the issue of paint matching, and/or the expense of re-spraying the whole car, and the whole Car Fax thing making the car seem like it was totaled and rebuilt (unless one does ALL of the work themselves).
Of course IF one is worried about resale at all, and the negative effects of Car Fax on that, the whole "unique" thing would have to be the selling point. ;)

zanethan

Your idea won't work as you are going to have to cut and move the b-pillars as the 2-door doors are longer. Cutting the b-pillar will have SIGNIFICANT ramifications for the structural rigidity and safety ratings. If not done right you will essentially be creating a death trap. I would highly discourage this as if you ever sell the car an unsuspecting person may end up with it down the line not knowing what they bought. In the long run it would likely be more economical to import a euro spec FiST if the 2-door is that big of a deal.

HBEcoBeaST

I think the door opening is bigger on the 2 door so you'd have to cut some metal.

Too many horrible drivers on the road these days make me NEVER want to compromise the structural integrity of our cars. Grant it I'm in SoCal so I see horrific accidents frequently. People don't even understand basic right of way rules.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Bluedrank

My favorite part of this thread was his initial reply to me saying that he won't have to cut anything. He literally just lined up the car's pictures from the Ford site and thought it was a done deal. LOL. Hopefully no sane person will allow this guy to chop up their daily driver and turn it into a rolling coffin.

Sure, you won't have to cut anything, except for the entire B pillar. Good luck with the structural integrity of the car after that. I'd love to see the response from an insurance company once they realize the car you crashed has had extensive cutting to the frame.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
In the long run it would likely be more economical to import a euro spec FiST if the 2-door is that big of a deal.
Yes, and IF I had the coin to be able to do that (IF it is still even legally possible-does the 'gray market' still exist? [dunno]), I would bring in an MS-RT R5, or 2016 WRC customer car Fiesta 2 door. [wink] [raceflag]

While they look similar on the outside and share the same platform, I would bet that there would be some major internal structural differences. This is a unibody constructed car and to say that no cutting would be necessary is not correct. Everything is welded with the exception of the front fenders and doors. It would seriously compromise the integrity and safety of the car.

I find it comical how back when I had my focus zx3 everyone on the forum wanted a 4 door. While they did offer them here they didn't sell many. Now everyone wants a 2 door. To each their own I guess.

Sekred

1000 Post Club
I got a 2 door if you want me to measure some stuff, but the doors look bigger and the b pillar looks to be different and the quarter looks to be different too

Intuit

3000 Post Club
[lovest] 4 door.

Curious about how much of a factor the *larger* front door is, for those who prefer dual door vs quad?

Some people paid close to $30k for their FiST. [ohcrap]

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
just bondo the back doors shut. much cheaper and safer and you get the same effect.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I love the coupe. It's so much better looking, and no one really rides in the back, anyway. It sucks that we didn't have that choice. I read 4 doors will be available in the UK.