Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

H&R Super Sports and Tire/Wheel Fitment

I'm looking at wheels for the summer and worried about picking up a set with tires that will rub a lot. Can people with these springs (H&R Super Sports) offer up their wheel and tire setups to get a better idea of what should and should not rub?

I was eyeing the Konig Dekagrams (16x8 +40) with a 215/45/16 tire but someone on Vogtlands said that setup was horrible for them in the front and H&R SS are lower. I really don't want to stretch too much tire to make a wheel fit either. Coilovers are not an option right now either.

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
I run Konig is 17x8 and with stock 205s and it rubs on stuff that a fender roll won't fix

It rubs on the tabs that hold the headlight and bumper in. I'm on super sports also and not looking forward to going up to 215s

OP
Typical Tom
Thread Starter #3
I run Konig is 17x8 and with stock 205s and it rubs on stuff that a fender roll won't fix

It rubs on the tabs that hold the headlight and bumper in. I'm on super sports also and not looking forward to going up to 215s
Yikes! Thanks for the response. Maybe I won't go with an 8" wide wheel :/

DaveG99

There are a lot of people on 8" wide wheels that say they dont rub. Some even claim a 225 series tire doesn't rub. Its so hard to get accurate information on rubbing as everyone has a different opinion. I think the rubbing issue is when a tire size is much larger diameter than stock. Some of these tires people run are almost an inch larger than stock diameter.

16x8 dekagrams with gforce rival S tire specs..... sec width 8.4" tread width 7.5" diameter 23.6"
stock tire sizes................................................ sec width 8.4" tread width 7.6" diameter 23.4"

As you can see they are almost identical. You shouldnt rub anymore than the stock setup would. That .2" larger diameter and .1" tread width shouldnt make to much a difference. And the slight stretch will help reduce the possibility of rubbing as well.

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
Rubbing is not subjective

You need to all he on the same suspension. H&R Super Sports will rub, I'm on stock tires and these are the lowest springs out

DaveG99

You need to all he on the same suspension. H&R Super Sports will rub, I'm on stock tires and these are the lowest springs out
I guess people shouldn't install those springs then. Didnt know they were so low.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club

I do agree that rubbing isn't subjective, but I do think there are a lot of issues with people's reports on rubbing. To be 100% accurate, the wheel and tire combination needs to be put through the entire range of motion to check for interference. In the rear, this would be both sides full up (bump) and full down (jounce) and then one side up and one side down. The front is more complicated as the suspension needs to be traveled and steering articulated. This is typically done with the springs removed. The suspension is placed at ride height and then articulated accordingly. Nobody besides serious suspension nuts do this. I have only done this on my Mustang, and still not even to the extent I should have. Most people just add springs, some wheels and tires and drive around to see if anything rubs. Considering most people don't use more than a very small amount of suspension travel and steering input, they conclude the tires rub or not. Their report isn't wrong, just incomplete. This why you get one person that says the combination will rub while another says it doesn't. Considering most ST owners (at least the ones on the Facebook groups) can't even figure out there is a sticker on the door jamb to tell them how much air pressure their tires should be at, I doubt anyone will take the time to understand their car's suspension or go through the effort to check the clearance throughout the range of articulation.

DaveG99

I do agree that rubbing isn't subjective, but I do think there are a lot of issues with people's reports on rubbing. To be 100% accurate, the wheel and tire combination needs to be put through the entire range of motion to check for interference. In the rear, this would be both sides full up (bump) and full down (jounce) and then one side up and one side down. The front is more complicated as the suspension needs to be traveled and steering articulated. This is typically done with the springs removed. The suspension is placed at ride height and then articulated accordingly. Nobody besides serious suspension nuts do this. I have only done this on my Mustang, and still not even to the extent I should have. Most people just add springs, some wheels and tires and drive around to see if anything rubs. Considering most people don't use more than a very small amount of suspension travel and steering input, they conclude the tires rub or not. Their report isn't wrong, just incomplete. This why you get one person that says the combination will rub while another says it doesn't. Considering most ST owners (at least the ones on the Facebook groups) can't even figure out there is a sticker on the door jamb to tell them how much air pressure their tires should be at, I doubt anyone will take the time to understand their car's suspension or go through the effort to check the clearance throughout the range of articulation.
Agreed. I have been researching a wheel and tire set up for a while now and I have read all kinds of conflicting information on rubbing. I take my car to pretty extremes a coupe times a year on our ST cruise in the Arkansas mountains and ANY rubbing is too much for me. Im pretty sure some people claim they dont rub when they would actually rub if the car was pushed hard.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Yep, you are totally correct, Dave. Most owners don't use enough of the car's suspension and steering to know if there is anything that will rub. A tight autocross slalom will really get the suspension moving through it's range of motion, but very few owners do that with their cars. Mountain roads are another area that puts a lot of articulation into the suspension. I like to find out issues at an autocross since I tend to be close to home. Something else to consider is that if you are running mountain roads with a passenger and a trunk full of items, your static ride height will be less, therefore you may have rubbing that you wouldn't have otherwise. I found that with a full tank of gas, spare tire in the back, Mountune springs, P205/45 17 tires, and two passengers in the back seat, the tires only had about .25" of travel available. That is not good at all! The temporary fix is to remove the spare tire and jack for the summer, don't carry any people, and keep cargo to a very minimum. This spring I am going to address the issue by raising the rear of the car a little. While I never rubbed with the wheel/tire/spring combination, I could clearly see that the amount of suspension travel I have available is severely limited with any weight added to the car. Did it rub? no. Would it rub? yes! It really doesn't take much alterations from stock to start running into issues.

Somewhat related to this is the spring rate and dampers. If you don't take out the springs and check the full range of articulation, but rather just install parts and go for a ride, you may still have issues. With my Focus, I had ran P215/45 17 tires with Progress springs and stock dampers. No issues at all rubbing when autocrossing, track use, or on the street. As the dampers wore out because of the increased spring rate and track/autocross use, I started to get issues where the tires would rub around a corner when hitting a bump with the compressed side of the suspension. The tire size didn't change, the wheels didn't change, the springs didn't change, but the dampers did become worn out and the damping rate dropped. I added a set of Koni yellows and had them at full soft for street use and the rubbing went away. I question a lot of the blanket statements made by people when they talk about what combination of springs, dampers, wheels, and tires work on our cars. The more you change the more potential for issues you have.

OP
Typical Tom
Thread Starter #11
Thanks for all of the responses. I also believe people are nuts when they say they have no rub on setups I'm certain would have rub. During the warmer months I love to hit some of the back roads where I live late at night (when no one is on the road) and have some fun. I believe I push my car very hard so if it was going to rub, I would know.

I think I'm going to keep poke to a minimum and stick with stock tire size until I get coilovers down the road.