Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Replacing front door blown speaker, what would you do?

Considering what I have on hand, how would you install it?

• Install sub + amp and swap the front door speakers, drive with amp (disconnect rear?)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Couple weeks ago one of my passenger front door speaker started to buzz. Very annoying and got worse each day until I was unable to listen to anything. Got my hands on a "Kicker 43CSS654" component kit at a good price (for Canada...) over crutchfield.ca to take care of this problem.

Now my question for those who know car audio: I also have a subwoofer, amp and cables from another car, bought used, never installed. The sub is too big for the fiesta, but can I drive the Kicker component kit with the amp? Will I gain sound quality and output?

I have friends able to help me plug everything and I can swap the speakers myself no problem. But if someone can give hints on how to use what I have, and if, what more would I need, I'd like to tackle this project on my own.

So what would you do?
1. replace the speakers only
2. replace the speakers and use the amp to drive front speaker, (disconnect rear or drive by amp too?)
3. install the sub + amp and drive front speakers with amp (possible?)
4. install the sub + amp, let the front and rear speakers with the OE amp

Thanks to everyone reading this and have a nice 2018!

Before I get bashed, I am stating what I would do and not what you should do. At the end of the day everyone needs to make an educated decision on what their time and effort is worth.

I would choose option 1.

The 2 channel amp you have shown will put out ~25 watts X 2 which will make new door speakers a little bit louder, but not sound better. (search to see other posts concerning DSP to understand how to actually make the system sound better) (also, sound better is a very subjective statement)

The amp you have shown when bridged will put out ~60 watts @ 4 ohms bridged which would drive that sub, but you would need to build a new box to use it as you stated as it will not fit in it's current state. Also, the ~60 watts is low for driving a sub even though it is possible.

The amount of work needed to install everything is not worth the time and effort with the stated components (except the speakers for the front door). You will most likely be disappointed as you will not get much gain.

Note:
If you purely want this as a learning experience, have plenty of time available, and not overly concerned with the results then go ahead and install everything. You will at a minimum gain insight into the car and where everything is and how to tear it down and put it back. Again not bashing you or the equipment just being honest about the minimal (?) gains you will most likely get.

Note 2:
There are many posts with details on how to install a sub and amp, but if you do have questions more specific about the work please ask.

Best of luck,

OP
bigPelo
Thread Starter #3
Before I get bashed, I am stating what I would do and not what you should do. At the end of the day everyone needs to make an educated decision on what their time and effort is worth.

I would choose option 1.

The 2 channel amp you have shown will put out ~25 watts X 2 which will make new door speakers a little bit louder, but not sound better. (search to see other posts concerning DSP to understand how to actually make the system sound better) (also, sound better is a very subjective statement)

The amp you have shown when bridged will put out ~60 watts @ 4 ohms bridged which would drive that sub, but you would need to build a new box to use it as you stated as it will not fit in it's current state. Also, the ~60 watts is low for driving a sub even though it is possible.

The amount of work needed to install everything is not worth the time and effort with the stated components (except the speakers for the front door). You will most likely be disappointed as you will not get much gain.

Note:
If you purely want this as a learning experience, have plenty of time available, and not overly concerned with the results then go ahead and install everything. You will at a minimum gain insight into the car and where everything is and how to tear it down and put it back. Again not bashing you or the equipment just being honest about the minimal (?) gains you will most likely get.

Note 2:
There are many posts with details on how to install a sub and amp, but if you do have questions more specific about the work please ask.

Best of luck,
Thanks man! I like your detailled analysis. You make some good points and from my search, the amp is only good for a sub as you explained.

I am currently installing the front door speakers. (Must) I will update later today, we are 3 and have time to test the sub + amp.

Envoyé de mon SM-G955W en utilisant Tapatalk

OP
bigPelo
Thread Starter #4
So, a couple weeks have pass since the installation. The front speakers have been replace and are driven by the OE amply. The sub is also installed, driven by the kicker amply. I am very happy with the results. Sound is much clearer and the extra bass filled the cabin nicely. I had to cut the gain on the sub amply to about 30% because it was too much but know it's great. Only downside thus far is the trunk space that has been reduce by a lot. For the purpose of this car though, I love it even more!

So, a couple weeks have pass since the installation. The front speakers have been replace and are driven by the OE amply. The sub is also installed, driven by the kicker amply. I am very happy with the results. Sound is much clearer and the extra bass filled the cabin nicely. I had to cut the gain on the sub amply to about 30% because it was too much but know it's great. Only downside thus far is the trunk space that has been reduce by a lot. For the purpose of this car though, I love it even more!
Good to hear you are happy with the results....