Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2016 Fiesta using coolant

me32

1000 Post Club
For the life of me I can't find that specific area of the head. And it's so damn cold outside that isn't helping either lol.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Lol i bet its warmer done there than it is up here lol

Here is my story behind my 2016 built back in October 2015. Old style head with the coolant issue. This situation was determined over the course of 30k and 1 year of ownership. This might not reflect your situation but I hope it may help.

Mine started with a coolant issue where I was having to top of the coolant tank every oil change. I kept taking the car back and forth to the dealer for the issue, they went over the car several times and I even had second opinions from third parties who could not find anything. I even added fluorescent red dye to the system to find a leak, nothing was found. I noticed the issue was worse during the summer time and I eventually took the car back to ford after I started logging the engineoperation temps. The operating temperature which for my car was over 235 degrees Fahrenheit. The dealership eventually had to replace my head and head gasket. The gasket fractured and the head warped. After the replacement parts I noticed the engines temp was still running high averaging 235 in the day and 220at night, and I still was having to top off the coolant. I decided it was time to invest in a radiator so I bought a Mountune radiator and hoses. I installed them myself and flushed the coolant system with DI water to ensure it was clean. Since the radiator upgrade I have noticed my car not going past 194 degrees Fahrenheit and the coolant has not been an issue and has not needed to be topped off at all.

My take on the system is that when the cars become operation temps skyrocket cause of excess pressure to build up in the system. Once the system has this excess pressure the coolant overflow tank cap spring starts to all the excess pressure to bleed off causing this loss of coolant as a vapor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I am confused, according to the recall the affected cars are listed by build date.

"Affected vehicles equipped with 1.6-liter GTDI engines include:

2014 Escape – Louisville Assembly Plant, Feb. 12, 2013 to Sept. 2, 2014

2014-15 Fiesta ST – Cuautitlan Assembly Plant, Jan. 22, 2013 to May 27, 2014

2013-14 Fusion – Hermosillo Assembly Plant, Feb. 15, 2012 to June 6, 2014

2013-15 Transit Connect – Valencia Assembly Plant, June 13, 2013 to Dec. 14, 2014

That would indicate to me that no 16's are affected and I would think very few 15's based on build dates. It's not like Ford does not know which cars to recall or what head is on what car.

Also keep in mind the recall is not just in the US on this problem it affects other countries as well.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I moved to cleveland and it's 7 degrees :(

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
OK, LOL! I was going to say that if it is too cold for you in San Diego, then you'd better move to central DEATH VALLEY, or Nicaragua or something!!

Yeah, it was 16*F here today as a high temp, in the sun. ;)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Here is my story behind my 2016 built back in October 2015. Old style head with the coolant issue. This situation was determined over the course of 30k and 1 year of ownership. This might not reflect your situation but I hope it may help.

Mine started with a coolant issue where I was having to top of the coolant tank every oil change. I kept taking the car back and forth to the dealer for the issue, they went over the car several times and I even had second opinions from third parties who could not find anything. I even added fluorescent red dye to the system to find a leak, nothing was found. I noticed the issue was worse during the summer time and I eventually took the car back to ford after I started logging the engineoperation temps. The operating temperature which for my car was over 235 degrees Fahrenheit. The dealership eventually had to replace my head and head gasket. The gasket fractured and the head warped. After the replacement parts I noticed the engines temp was still running high averaging 235 in the day and 220at night, and I still was having to top off the coolant. I decided it was time to invest in a radiator so I bought a Mountune radiator and hoses. I installed them myself and flushed the coolant system with DI water to ensure it was clean. Since the radiator upgrade I have noticed my car not going past 194 degrees Fahrenheit and the coolant has not been an issue and has not needed to be topped off at all.

My take on the system is that when the cars become operation temps skyrocket cause of excess pressure to build up in the system. Once the system has this excess pressure the coolant overflow tank cap spring starts to all the excess pressure to bleed off causing this loss of coolant as a vapor.

Do you remember what your winter time temps were, with the recall replaced head on the car, but still with the factory radiator?

me32

1000 Post Club

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So this is good info a 2016 built in october 2015 that still had the old head which might mean alot of the 2016 built in august-october 2015 builds have the old head.

me32

1000 Post Club
I am confused, according to the recall the affected cars are listed by build date.

"Affected vehicles equipped with 1.6-liter GTDI engines include:

2014 Escape – Louisville Assembly Plant, Feb. 12, 2013 to Sept. 2, 2014

2014-15 Fiesta ST – Cuautitlan Assembly Plant, Jan. 22, 2013 to May 27, 2014

2013-14 Fusion – Hermosillo Assembly Plant, Feb. 15, 2012 to June 6, 2014

2013-15 Transit Connect – Valencia Assembly Plant, June 13, 2013 to Dec. 14, 2014

That would indicate to me that no 16's are affected and I would think very few 15's based on build dates. It's not like Ford does not know which cars to recall or what head is on what car.

Also keep in mind the recall is not just in the US on this problem it affects other countries as well.
What it means is the 2016 is not included in the recall. Does not mean it wont be affected and only time will tell. Hopefully ford will include early build 2016s that have ended up with the old head

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
What it means is the 2016 is not included in the recall. Does not mean it wont be affected and only time will tell. Hopefully ford will include early build 2016s that have ended up with the old head
Just what makes you think 16's have the old heads? Intuition? Do you really believe NHTSA would allow Ford to repair just "SOME' of the affected cars here? What it means is that ALL affected cars WORLDWIDE have been recalled. Do some people on this forum think this is a worldwide fraud and all the governments involved are conspiring to only make Ford fix SOME of the cars involved? Really? A world wide conspiracy to not fix some cars! Get a grip, NHTSA has been doing this for a while. But, please continue to worry about imaginative problems. I really believe this silliness.....NOT! If you car is affected take it in, if not quit freaking out! Why did you buy a Ford if you are so convinced Ford is out to screw you with service, warranty and recalls. And of course that would mean the Feds and the rest of the nations where they are being recalled are also involved in your wild conspiracy! WOW! This forum is entertaining in it's reactions and silliness. New headlines, "FORD involved in worldwide conspiracy to screw 2016 Fiesta ST owners! LOL!

me32

1000 Post Club
Just what makes you think 16's have the old heads? Intuition? Do you really believe NHTSA would allow Ford to repair just "SOME' of the affected cars here? What it means is that ALL affected cars WORLDWIDE have been recalled. Do some people on this forum think this is a worldwide fraud and all the governments involved are conspiring to only make Ford fix SOME of the cars involved? Really? A world wide conspiracy to not fix some cars! Get a grip, NHTSA has been doing this for a while. But, please continue to worry about imaginative problems. I really believe this silliness.....NOT! If you car is affected take it in, if not quit freaking out! Why did you buy a Ford if you are so convinced Ford is out to screw you with service, warranty and recalls. And of course that would mean the Feds and the rest of the nations where they are being recalled are also involved in your wild conspiracy! WOW! This forum is entertaining in it's reactions and silliness. New headlines, "FORD involved in worldwide conspiracy to screw 2016 Fiesta ST owners! LOL!
Good to see you let it all out.

Now look a couple post above and you will see a 2016 that had the old style head.

NHTSA will work with a manufacturer to determine the scope of a recall based on data it gets from that manufacturer. Sure, complaints from consumers might trigger an investigation, but consumer complaints are a minuscule part of the data that is examined. Also, it is not uncommon for the scope of a recall to be expanded over time as additional data is available. It is possible then that a problem with later vehicles has not yet manifested itself in sufficient numbers to warrant a recall. That said, I don't even know whether this was a voluntary or a compulsory government-ordered recall. If it was voluntary, Ford would determine its scope, particularly if it is not safety related.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
too much focus on the heads, radiators have also been known to fail, which can also show similar symptoms with coolant loss, etc.
I am waiting a little longer to see if any other (REPUTABLE) aftermarket companies release an upgraded radiator for our app, and if not, mine is getting the CSF Mountune. [wink]

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Dont forget the 16s that had the wrong relay and the fans would not turn on.
Some 16's did I read but mine didn't. Those that were was covered by a TSB and all should have been fixed by now I think. Other than the few cars covered in the fire recall I see no pattern indicating any one weak link in the cooling system for a stock or lightly modded car up to the 220 HP range. My MP-215 has never seen the dealer nor more than two bars in the normal range no matter what the conditions. I love my 16', it has done everything I expected and more.

So this is good info a 2016 built in october 2015 that still had the old head which might mean alot of the 2016 built in august-october 2015 builds have the old head.
No where in the post is it implied the head was of the old design. He only says the head warped and was replaced. It sounds like a bad radiator or something overheated the engine. Even after replacing the old one with a new one, the engine ran too hot. The radiator fixed the issue.

me32

1000 Post Club
No where in the post is it implied the head was of the old design. He only says the head warped and was replaced. It sounds like a bad radiator or something overheated the engine. Even after replacing the old one with a new one, the engine ran too hot. The radiator fixed the issue.
"Here is my story behind my 2016 built back in October 2015. Old style head with the*coolant*issue."

Maybe i miss read this, but it sounded like he said he had the old style head.

I never said the head was his issue. I only was pointing out the fact that he was saying that his 2016 built in 2015 had the old style head.