Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2016 Fiesta using coolant

My 2016 seems to be using coolant. I have had the dealer fill it up when it became low around September '17, and now it is low again. I've only put 21,000 Miles on the car total, and about 5,000 since it was last filled. I dropped it off at the dealer today and they called me back a few hours later explaining the coolant reservoir was faulty. I for one don't believe this is the issue, because there are no leaks and there is also a sweet smell that comes from the exhaust. This is the second time the coolant has been low like I said, and the last time they pressure tested the system and said nothing was wrong, and then topped it up. I am also aware of the issue with 2014-2015 Fiestas using coolant because of bad cylinder heads. Basically, I believe the dealer is just beating around the bush on this. I think the car is burning coolant, and I made that clear to them when I dropped it off today.

I will update this thread with what the dealership does and how the car is periodically if anyone is curious. Other than that... I know the whole motor would need to be replaced under warranty if it is in fact burning coolant. Car is also stock tune, cobb rmm, catback, and a green filter.

Anyone feel free to chime in if this has happened to you.

me32

1000 Post Club
Were ANY of the even early '16 model year builds included in that recall?
Currently is does not say the 16+ but that does not mean it will not fall into the recall if its the same problem. Thats why i asked when it was built. As i thought the head change was started on the late 16 builds

OP
shanero182
Thread Starter #5
I will look at the build date when I grab it from the dealership in the morning. I bought it December 2015. So it was an early '16 model.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
My 15 did this. They topped it off , did a pressure check and said all good. Shortly after it had difficulty starting. Cranking longer than usual. I took out the plugs and saw coolant in #3 cylinder. Took it back and they pressurized it overnight . Gave me a replacement engine at 8k.

OP
shanero182
Thread Starter #7
My 15 did this. They topped it off , did a pressure check and said all good. Shortly after it had difficulty starting. Cranking longer than usual. I took out the plugs and saw coolant in #3 cylinder. Took it back and they pressurized it overnight . Gave me a replacement engine at 8k.
How did you see the coolant, did you use a borescope, or was it obvious?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

me32

1000 Post Club
Define "late" above.

Did Ford EVER give a definitive 'after' build date for the updated heads? [dunno]
LATE = last run before the 2017s.

Ford did not give a defintive answer when the heads were updated in a production run. But its seems that 14,15,16s depending when the build was still had the old heads.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
How did you see the coolant, did you use a borescope, or was it obvious?

Flashlight down the sparkplug hole, you could see the orange tinge and the plug dis coloration.

My 2015 had a very slight loss of coolant (8 oz. every 3-4,000 miles). Turned out to be a pinhole in the top radiator hose. Never any visible signs.
Zero loss after replacement.

OP
shanero182
Thread Starter #13
Okay so my dealer replaced the coolant reservoir and cap. I talked to them about the issue for a little while, and they just told me to keep driving it to see if it ends up losing any more coolant. If it does they will look into it further. Hopefully they were right about it, but it still doesn't explain how the cars exhaust smelled like coolant sometimes. They also put dye into the coolant.

Build date is 11/15.

I marked the level so I will be keeping an eye on it and will post an update when I change the oil at 25k.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
LATE = last run before the 2017s.

Ford did not give a defintive answer when the heads were updated in a production run. But its seems that 14,15,16s depending when the build was still had the old heads.
Now I have to wonder (worry [dunno]) if an early September 2016 build has the new head or not?
(ANY way to tell by build sheet, window sticker, etc.??)

me32

1000 Post Club
Okay so my dealer replaced the coolant reservoir and cap. I talked to them about the issue for a little while, and they just told me to keep driving it to see if it ends up losing any more coolant. If it does they will look into it further. Hopefully they were right about it, but it still doesn't explain how the cars exhaust smelled like coolant sometimes. They also put dye into the coolant.

Build date is 11/15.

I marked the level so I will be keeping an eye on it and will post an update when I change the oil at 25k.

Keep us posted. Your build may still have the old head.

"This was taken from another thread"

The newer head are easy to identify as they have a sensor on the back of the head on the driver side that is under the black plastic coolant hose ( it's not in the plastic hose/housing, it's on the head ).

https://youtu.be/Jfn4AGq7BAI

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Do your own cooling system pressure test. BUT DON'T OVER DO THE PRESSURE. There are also block test kits and exhaust sniffers... although the latter will have to be done at a place that already has the specialized equipment and expertise.

me32

1000 Post Club
Now I have to wonder (worry [dunno]) if an early September 2016 build has the new head or not?
(ANY way to tell by build sheet, window sticker, etc.??)
Only way to would be part number on head or a sticker on the head somewhere.

The newer head are easy to identify as they have a sensor on the back of the head on the driver side that is under the black plastic coolant hose ( it's not in the plastic hose/housing, it's on the head ).

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Only way to would be part number on head or a sticker on the head somewhere.

THANKS! [thumb]

I forgot about that post.

OP
shanero182
Thread Starter #20
Keep us posted. Your build may still have the old head.

For the life of me I can't find that specific area of the head. And it's so damn cold outside that isn't helping either lol.