Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Money shifted into 1st, but no obvious damage. Next steps?

Today, as I was coming home, I decided to try a 2-3 pull on my FiST. Accidentally shifted into 1st instead of 2nd, and the car shot up to 8k rpm (at least), the wrench light came on, and the car died. I think I clutched in a second later and pulled to the side of the road. After turning off the car and restarting it, everything seemed fine, and the wrench light went away. I didn't notice anything strange after driving the car around some more, other than a slightly rougher idle (I might just have been more aware of the regular idle noise). I noticed the motor seems a bit rough at >5.5k rpm, but I don't remember what it was like before my mis-shift. The transmission originally whined a bit in 2nd and 4th gear but it didn't get any worse after the mis-shift. I also plugged an OBD2 scanner in, and recorded max boost of 21 psi (floored) and an idle of 750 rpm, which seems normal. The car felt slightly slower but I can't be sure if my mind is tricking me.

I checked the engine oil and there aren't any metallic flakes. I did notice a handful of hairline cracks what I think is the transmission, although I didn't check before this happened to see if those cracks were there. I also noticed a drop of what seems like coolant coming out from the head, but I have no idea when it appeared. Might there be any damage based on these signs, and would these have been caused by the downshift?

At this point, I'm thinking of taking the car to a Ford dealer ASAP to check the car out. What should I tell the mechanic and what should I get checked/replaced on the car?

2018-01-04_22.33.20.jpg 2018-01-04_22.33.47.jpg 2018-01-04_22.34.20.jpg

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Those are normal casting anomalies. I see sealant looking goop not coolant. Don't sweat it it'll be fine.

haste

1000 Post Club
Yeah looks like a little bit of oil mixed with dirt on the casting surface . I don't see anything obviously wrong with those pictures.

Drive it some more, keep an eye on the coolant level before you take it to a shop.