Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Pinstripes nice or rice?

jeff

2000 Post Club
I kept looking at pictures of the Civic R and Soul Exclaim, they have these red stripes along the lower part of the car, and I thought what if, and then this happened....

The swooshing nature of the side of the car kind of makes it look uneven...the uneven surface makes it appear uneven...not sure if I like that or not...

Tell me if this looks horrible or tasteful, NICE or RICE, thanks!

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Who cares what anyone thinks? If you like it, keep it. It matches the other red accents.

Not a fan of pinstripes personally.

But I'm also the type that wants to completely debadge everything for the "clean" look.

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
Not something I’d do, but it fits the car’s personality, and it fits with your other cosmetic mods. A+

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Imo no rice there. Matches the rest of the red on the car. It's not flashy or over the top. I'd do it to mine because every part I buy is in red but I woukd mess it up.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I don't have an opinion. I'm thinking of doing wide black stripes on my Orange Spice FiST so you know that if I did have an opinion, it should be disregarded based on the older thread here where the huge majority hated stripes. [hihi] [unbelieveable]

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Not too bad jeff. I think it would look a little better if the red stripe followed the top line of the grey graphic.

Side note: The shark fin you got does it literally just plug into the stock antenna harness and stick onto the roof? And hows the reception quality after the shark fin mod? I have Nav and Sirius. I think the nav uses a different antenna but would still like my Sirius to stay with good reception.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
Thanks fellas I appreciate the feedback. Sometimes the opinions of others are helpful.

I'd call it more of an accent than a pinstripe, though pinstriping was used. Still not sure and haven't done the other side yet but meh we'll see.

Not too bad jeff. I think it would look a little better if the red stripe followed the top line of the grey graphic.

Side note: The shark fin you got does it literally just plug into the stock antenna harness and stick onto the roof? And hows the reception quality after the shark fin mod? I have Nav and Sirius. I think the nav uses a different antenna but would still like my Sirius to stay with good reception.
I like the straight look (Honda type R/Kia Soul Exclaim) but I appreciate the feedback. Was going for something more subtle hence the down low.

Yes on the fin, I have a whole review thread elsewhere just search for "shark" for more thoughts. Plugs right in super easy, I've had no problems with Nav or anything.

I don't think it's too ricey necessarily, but it's not my cup of tea. It seems to clash a bit with the natural lines/curves of the car in that area. If I were to do something like this, I'd probably do something with a bit more flare like [MENTION=1313]BRGT350[/MENTION] has on his car, but that's easier to get away with on a blue car than a black one I suspect.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #14
I don't think it's too ricey necessarily, but it's not my cup of tea. It seems to clash a bit with the natural lines/curves of the car in that area. If I were to do something like this, I'd probably do something with a bit more flare like [MENTION=1313]BRGT350[/MENTION] has on his car, but that's easier to get away with on a blue car than a black one I suspect.
Thanks man yeah that's the conclusion I've come to....when it warms up I'm gonna peel those off and experiment a bit lower on the car and see if I can find a more straight place, though it's all curvy down there so it might not work.

FWIW I actually do have grey swooshes on my car similar to BRGT's, but way more subtle, the red accent stripe is between the swoosh lines.

Yeah, I gotcha. I don't have a picture of his handy, but I think there's just more going on and it probably goes higher up the wheel well. It stands out more and looks a bit more dynamic, but like I said, it's harder to do that well on a black car. I'm curious how it would look if you tried to align a red graphic with the natural contours of the car, kind of like the reverse of this. It might be hideous, but I kind of want to see it. [giddy]

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #17
Yeah, I gotcha. I don't have a picture of his handy, but I think there's just more going on and it probably goes higher up the wheel well. It stands out more and looks a bit more dynamic, but like I said, it's harder to do that well on a black car. I'm curious how it would look if you tried to align a red graphic with the natural contours of the car, kind of like the reverse of this. It might be hideous, but I kind of want to see it. [giddy]
Yeah that's kinda cool but too bling for me. It does follow the natural contours though that's for sure. My swoosh stripes follow the contours well but a single stripe is hard to make look right.

For me its not happening. I am not a big fan of pin stripping.
Whats more important is that you are happy with it.

I know I am showing my age when your car is starting to remind me of the original Batmobile.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #19
For me its not happening. I am not a big fan of pin stripping.
Whats more important is that you are happy with it.

I know I am showing my age when your car is starting to remind me of the original Batmobile.
HAHA Batmobile that's pretty darn funny, and true.

This input has been great. I did the other side as pictured below. The curves of the car just don't mesh with the red stripe accent, so I peeled them off.

Maybe later I'll experiment with another less curvy area and try to achieve the same, but for now this experiment is over.

Hosted on Fotki

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #20
Alright take 2...........opinions welcome..........removed my pinstripes, put one new continuous one down a few inches lower where it doesn't conflict with the swooshy lines of the car as much.......hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...............

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

Is this still in Batmobile territory or are we getting there?