Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Engine Oil Drain Plug Gasket

Hello everyone,

I’m attempting to find out information regarding the routine replacement of the drain plug gasket.

Will I be able to replace the gasket itself, or will I need to buy a new drain plug every so often?

This is my first new car, so I’ve been doing all of my own work ever since I’ve brought my FiST home.

I am just not sure which gasket to buy, so any and all assistance is welcomed.

The dealership told me the gasket washer is only available with a new drain plug. I’m sure you can probably find it somewhere separate though.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
That confused me, too. I guess technically, the washer IS a gasket, or functions as one.

The plug and washer should last the life of the car, no problem. I've only ever replaced them to put magnetic ones in motorcycles.

DEss

Hello everyone,

I’m attempting to find out information regarding the routine replacement of the drain plug gasket.

Will I be able to replace the gasket itself, or will I need to buy a new drain plug every so often?

This is my first new car, so I’ve been doing all of my own work ever since I’ve brought my FiST home.

If you don't mind spending ~$30, the EZ drain valve or Fumoto valve - plus an extension - will mean no more worrying about drain plugs and gaskets. I use the EZ-106 valve and A-106 extension in my ST and it works great. Only wish it wasn't so $$.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
There IS a gasket? Wow.

Still, there must be a separate part # for it.

EDIT: I didn't see that there is, at first.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Hello everyone,

you don't need to replace the gasket unless it has failed

here's an option I offer with a magnet
comes with a re-usable gasket

https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopify.com/collections/2014-2017-ford-fiesta-st/products/project-kics-magnetic-oil-drain-plug

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
I ordered the drain plug and it looks great! I was wondering if you're suppose to use BOTH of the washers that are included?

As I recall: is the OEM one not an o-ring in the drain plug itself? (I looked all over for a separate washer first time I changed the oil - lol)

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
As I recall: is the OEM one not an o-ring in the drain plug itself? (I looked all over for a separate washer first time I changed the oil - lol)
correct
o-ring is part of the drain plug referring to OEM

OP
Sprinkle_Star
Thread Starter #14
I've decided to just buy a back-up OEM drain plug.

Inevitably, the gasket will fail at some point in the future, so I'll just swap it with the one I've just purchased.

It wasn't more than $10 if I remember correctly.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
I have the same plug on my focus. I replaced it at about 220k only because the bolt head started to look a lil stripped. Never leaked with all those 4k oil changed. Now I make sure to use a 6 point socket instead of a 12 to reduce the chances of that on the fist. Never leaked.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I inquired of my Ford tech buddy about this very issue after my first oil change. He said, good idea to swap the plug every so often as the threads wear out. The price at the dealership for plug and washer is about 20 cents more than just the washer. So...makes sense to have a spare plug and washer incase that washer gives up the ghost. At least that is my thinking.