Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

E-brake light comes on while driving. Dealer said it's because my pads are low.

My e-brake light started randomly turning on while driving a week or two ago, so I had the dealer look at it while getting my oil changed over the weekend. Mileage is just a tick over 22k.

They told me that it was probably because my pads are low (2-3mm) and that some fluid might be leaking. Of course, they also pushed me for a brake job on the spot.

I'm not surprised they tried to sell me on the brake service (especially with how these cars eat them), but does this sound reasonable to anybody?

I'm no mechanic, but I've never heard of low pads triggering the handbrake light, so their answer was about a 5 on my bullshit-o-meter.

felopr

22k on stock front pads, believable
the rear one can go to 34k-36k in my experience.
brake fluid leakage should be covered under warranty because that shouldn't happend.
when i changed the front ones, they went all the way to less to 1mm, never leaked
maybe they confuse it because, as you get the pads lower, the brake fluid reserve will get lower as well

If they think there is a brake fluid leak they should,before they change pads or anything to pressurize the brake system (like with a motive pressure bleeder) to see if there are leaks, if there is a leak (bad caliper seals, brake hose, etc) they should cover it under warranty, but for pads only , you are out of luck

OP
our guile
Thread Starter #3
I should clarify: I know the pads and rotors are not covered under the warranty. I'll replace the pads down the road with something that doesn't produce as much brake dust (Hawk 5.0 maybe?)

What I want to figure out is if the dealer's reasoning is sound. Would low pads cause my handbrake light to illuminate while driving?

I don't recall what they said they did to fix whatever the leak was, but they sent me on my way and my handbrake light still comes on randomly when I drive.

felopr

I should clarify: I know the pads and rotors are not covered under the warranty. I'll replace the pads down the road with something that doesn't produce as much brake dust (Hawk 5.0 maybe?)

What I want to figure out is if the dealer's reasoning is sound. Would low pads cause my handbrake light to illuminate while driving?

I don't recall what they said they did to fix whatever the leak was, but they sent me on my way and my handbrake light still comes on randomly when I drive.
In my opinion, no
The only thing that can "actuate" the e-brake light on the dash is a switch on the e brake handle inside the car, nothing mechanical side ( as in caliper, pads, etc) can actually "turn the light on"
So, you are looking 2 things here:
1) the switch is so close to the actuation point while the ebrake level is in rest mode that any bump can actuate the switch

pic for reference, not ford fiesta specific
you can check this with the car parked, pull the ebrake level, and if the ebrake light comes on with the slightest of you pulling the ebrake level, then this might be your problem
or
2) the ebrake switch wiring is shorting to ground, and that is going to be harder to track down

Last edited:

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
I am not sure if the Fiesta is setup this way or not, but on a lot of my previous cars, there was a sensor on the brake fluid reservoir that would trigger a light if the fluid dropped too low. It was the same light as the handbrake light. When the pads are worn, the piston travels further than they would with new pads. The brake system is sealed, so the pistons extending to make up the difference of the pads would cause there to be more fluid volume needed behind the pistons and cause a drop in the fluid in the reservoir. Just the same when you install new pads and retract the pistons, the brake fluid tends to spill out of the reservoir. It is a sealed hydraulic system. I am about 90% sure the worn pads would trigger the low fluid sensor to trigger the dash light.

I'm pretty sure its not a dedicated "E-Brake" light, its more of an "Alert, something's up with the brakes somewhere" light, it will also come on for low fluid level or something like that, which could be as a result of low pads increasing the amount of fluid required. Have you checked your brake fluid level?

felopr

Add some brake fluid to max, if it stops, then there you have it
i run my car to almost to the metal on the front pads and never received a warning though

BRGT350 is correct. The brake calipers will fill up with more fluid the thinner the brake pads get, thus making the fluid in the reservoir low enough to set the brake light off. I'm currently in the same situation, just to lazy to replace my brakes. Do not fill the brake fluid reservoir to turn the light off, once the calipers are compressed it will refill the reservoir. If you add fluid it could damage the rubber diaphragm in the brake cap. Hope this helps!

My e-brake light started randomly turning on while driving a week or two ago, so I had the dealer look at it while getting my oil changed over the weekend. Mileage is just a tick over 22k.

They told me that it was probably because my pads are low (2-3mm) and that some fluid might be leaking. Of course, they also pushed me for a brake job on the spot.

I'm not surprised they tried to sell me on the brake service (especially with how these cars eat them), but does this sound reasonable to anybody?

I'm no mechanic, but I've never heard of low pads triggering the handbrake light, so their answer was about a 5 on my bullshit-o-meter.
Yep, your dealer itā€™s right! It happened to me, he told me the same, but he filled up the brake fluid reservoir, and a few days after I went with another mechanic, that also reviewed the pads. This last one, recommended me to change them, and when they were changing the brake pads, the fluid started to raise inside on the tank, so he had to removed some fluid of the tank to avoid some overfilled and spilling over the inner fender. (This fluid was the quantity that the dealer added during the first revision). The brake light has never been turning on again (while Iā€™m driving)

Regards

The dealer is correct. I had the light on mine come on randomly once they were due for replacement. Pretty sure the light came up because the fluid was low once the pads were down to 3mm.

OP
our guile
Thread Starter #11
Thanks for the replies everyone! It makes sense now, but at the time it sounded a little fishy. I'm glad to know my dealer wasn't being shady with me!

Thanks for the replies everyone! It makes sense now, but at the time it sounded a little fishy. I'm glad to know my dealer wasn't being shady with me!
I still find that odd. But, I did have to add fluid before I had about 1mm or "down to the metal" on fronts and rears. Afterwards, was mandatory to bleed the brakes to even physically get the calipers retracted without specialty tools.

I would recommend Hawks 5.0 front / HPS(?) rear for more spirited daily driving/autocross. EBC yellows on 4 corners for slightly more agressive driving/hard autocross and very light track use.. Had both, both excellent for what they do. Stay away from Track & Steet pads, as they tend to suck at everything (bad road manners, melt on the track).

Two things can make the light come on, low fluid level or low pressure, odds are the fluid level has dipped below the minimum mark because they pads are considerably worn

Ford Community Posts