Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2019 Ford Edge ST is here

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
It seems like maybe you are talking about sport cars, but I was talking about cars in general. Yes SUV sales have grown overall but the civic, corolla, and camry are still in the top ten (likely top 5). I wouldn't necessarily call that tanking.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
Toyota RAV4 (314,925 sold) ...
Honda CR-V (319,557 sold) ...
Honda Civic (335,445 sold) ...
Toyota Corolla (346,999 sold) ...
Toyota Camry (355,204 sold) ...
Ram Pickup (441,862 sold) ...
Chevrolet Silverado (520,604 sold) ...
Ford F-series (733,287 sold) No surprise here.

2016 data top 8
The largest selling cars sold less that half of the number of Trucks and SUVs. 1.036M cars VS Trucks/SUV 2.329M in 2016. Dropped more in 2017 but I did not find a full years data for 2017. The F-150 alone sold double the highest number of cars. Cars are dead in the US, the F-150 sold more than the top TWO cars combined. Ford's profit on the F-150 is obscene.....more that selling 10 Fiestas. So there is simply no money to be made in small cars in the US, Ford's business model is being followed by GM. They too are dropping some cars next year. Ford and GM will not make inroads on the Japanese cars, Toyota and Honda has a rabid following, thay have to have one because the cars are hideous looking!

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Actually if you look at overall sales statics for the U.S. Sedans and small cars have tanked . Not talking about Sports cars and my post specifically mentions sedans and small cars. Civic sales and Corolla sales may be ok but respectively the market segment they in are has tanked overall in the U.S.
Well you original responded to me and I was talking about cars in general...I didn't specify any particular types of car. You used the BRZ as an example which is fairly sporty and a niche model. But still I'll have to say I disagree with that statement - unless by tanked you mean dropped. To me tanked means dropped...by a lot...a whole lot.

Car sells may have dropped but they are still going pretty strong...these newer crossover SUVs (ie: CRV and RAV), even though they are really just larger cars with car frames, are really what's starting to tip the scale.

neeqness

1000 Post Club

2016 data top 8
So there is simply no money to be made in small cars in the US, Ford's business model is being followed by GM. They too are dropping some cars next year. Ford and GM will not make inroads on the Japanese cars, Toyota and Honda has a rabid following, thay have to have one because the cars are hideous looking!
Yes, I saw that. I agree because their hideous cars is a big reason why I wound up buying my FiST. That new Civic Sport looks nice though (for a sedan).

But let's keep this in perspective, these cars made the top 8 (2 made the top 5), might as well say they made the top 6. Just because 3 truck models beat them (regardless by how much) does not mean they are losing money on this deal. They beat every other model in existence, including other trucks. This is the very top list...there are plenty other models doing just fine that are not on this list. The very fact that they even made this list should show how relevant cars still are to the market.

Ford should have put more into it's quality control a decade or two ago when they were one of the top car sellers. People don't want to buy Ford cars now when there are more reliable cars on the market. Ford has lost some trust in the car market.

Heck, if it weren't for those hideous models I myself would still be driving Japanese because reliability is important to me too. I couldn't bring myself to drive something that ugly though so here I am, lol - and thankfully with no regrets so far after 55k+ miles. But for many people reliability and rep is more important than looks and/or they just have different tastes, lol. Well let me clarify, reliability is more important to me than looks, but there IS a point where I must draw the line, lol.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Yes, I saw that. I agree because their hideous cars is a big reason why I wound up buying my FiST. That new Civic Sport looks nice though (for a sedan).

But let's keep this in perspective, these cars made the top 8 (2 made the top 5), might as well say they made the top 6. Just because 3 truck models beat them (regardless by how much) does not mean they are losing money on this deal. They beat every other model in existence, including other trucks. This is the very top list...there are plenty other models doing just fine that are not on this list. The very fact that they even made this list should show how relevant cars still are to the market.

Ford should have put more into it's quality control a decade or two ago when they were one of the top car sellers. People don't want to buy Ford cars now when there are more reliable cars on the market. Ford has lost some trust in the car market.

Heck, if it weren't for those hideous models I myself would still be driving Japanese because reliability is important to me too. I couldn't bring myself to drive something that ugly though so here I am, lol - and thankfully with no regrets so far after 55k+ miles. But for many people reliability and rep is more important than looks and/or they just have different tastes, lol. Well let me clarify, reliability is more important to me than looks, but there IS a point where I must draw the line, lol.

Me too as to the reliability, Ford is much improved. CR has a list of 2018 cars no longer recommended due to reliability. 8 of 17 are GM's.........ZERO Fords on the list. I have owned 3 new Fords and only saw the dealer once for a loose bolt in my Capri RS. So Ford has been as good in reliability as my Toyota and seven Mazda's! Only owned one new GM in the first 2 months of ownership the dealer had it 6 weeks I had it 2 weeks, Buick Regal Turbo. Traded it for A Mustang Indy Pace car after 10 weeks of ownership. I am sure my ST will be my last new car and at 20K has been flawless. There is no competition for the Fiesta ST in the USA.

OP
LilPartyBox

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #45
I won’t be surprised if they rename the Taurus SHO to an ST, I highly doubt it though since most of their sells go to the police.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The ST badge has actually started to hold some real weight among enthusiasts. Most of my gym buddies have WRXs, Camaro SSs, S4s, Golf Rs etc and they hold the ST badge in the same regard they do there own go fast sleds. If Ford's plan is to start diluting the badge it will be a true tragedy. Building a rep with enthusiasts isn't easy. I'm keeping an eye on Hyundai's new N badge.

2016 data top 8
The largest selling cars sold less that half of the number of Trucks and SUVs. 1.036M cars VS Trucks/SUV 2.329M in 2016. Dropped more in 2017 but I did not find a full years data for 2017. The F-150 alone sold double the highest number of cars. Cars are dead in the US, the F-150 sold more than the top TWO cars combined. Ford's profit on the F-150 is obscene.....more that selling 10 Fiestas. So there is simply no money to be made in small cars in the US, Ford's business model is being followed by GM. They too are dropping some cars next year. Ford and GM will not make inroads on the Japanese cars, Toyota and Honda has a rabid following, thay have to have one because the cars are hideous looking!
Honda's Civic is truly ugly af with the pinnacle of hideous going to the Type R. A dam shame as it's getting rave reviews! And I'll never, EVER understand how the hell the F-series sells so much. What is it with people and trucks!! Drive like shit, guzzle gas, insanely overpriced...thank goodness they already have the Raptor or we'd have an F-150 ST

Me too as to the reliability, Ford is much improved. CR has a list of 2018 cars no longer recommended due to reliability. 8 of 17 are GM's.........ZERO Fords on the list. I have owned 3 new Fords and only saw the dealer once for a loose bolt in my Capri RS. So Ford has been as good in reliability as my Toyota and seven Mazda's! Only owned one new GM in the first 2 months of ownership the dealer had it 6 weeks I had it 2 weeks, Buick Regal Turbo. Traded it for A Mustang Indy Pace car after 10 weeks of ownership. I am sure my ST will be my last new car and at 20K has been flawless. There is no competition for the Fiesta ST in the USA.
I've always made fun of Ford when i was in bed with the germans but after 10 years constantly living under VWs and Audi's, i got sick of it & figured i'd give Ford a try. Couldn't be worse, right? And it's turned out to be pretty good. Save for the blown struts i suffered my first month, it's been a solid lil car with only minor quibbles. I still call Mazda the most reliable tho. My '12 mazdaspeed 3 had ZERO issues in 3 years. I mean nothing at all. If there were a new speed 3, i wouldn't be here. The more i think about it I'll probably be buying a CX-3 or CX-5 as the Edge ST will likely be kissing 46k OTD and i don't like leasing the family run about :(

Ford Community Posts