Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How many people warm up their Fiesta ST before driving?

How many people warm up their Fiesta ST before driving?

• I don't

Votes: 122 34.0%
  • I always do

Votes: 131 36.5%
  • I do but only on really cold days

Votes: 106 29.5%

• Total voters

Shmi

I let it run for as long as it takes me to put on my seatbelt, pick a song or station or whatever, then just drive it carefully until it warms up. I don't let it idle beyond that though.

XuperXero

No warm up here. Especially not good for direct injection engines like ours. Introduces carbon build up.

Someone mentioned low oil pressure and another mentioned tranny oil temperature which is also reasons not to warm up.

I always let mine warm up for at least a min or two before driving. I stay out of boost until I see the temp reading four bars. Our cars warm up very quickly anyway.

iso100

1000 Post Club
Accessport can display it. I saw as high as 210 yesterday on the highway.

I never let it idle to warm up unless it below freezing. Everyday I just use light throttle until I can feel the engine more willing to make boost and rev. Takes about 5-10 minutes of driving

iso100

1000 Post Club
I never let it idle to warm up unless it below freezing.
You should never do this, especially below freezing. Get in and drive it. It will get warmer quicker with proper oiling than if it just sits there for 10 minutes idling.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Cars as old as E30 BMW's ( like late 80's 3-series) have been "get in it and drive". Pretty sure warming up may have come from carb engines. Of course... Hot rodding a cold engine is silly. Co-worked of mine blew his Harley up in our parking lot. Started it up, revved it real hard to show off ( god I hate that shitty 35hp 2 cylinder sound), and it threw a push rod.

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Cars as old as E30 BMW's ( like late 80's 3-series) have been "get in it and drive". Pretty sure warming up may have come from carb engines. Of course... Hot rodding a cold engine is silly. Co-worked of mine blew his Harley up in our parking lot. Started it up, revved it real hard to show off ( god I hate that shitty 35hp 2 cylinder sound), and it threw a push rod.
LOL, the pushrods probably expand a 1/4" between hot and cold.

Get in, start car, buckle up and drive Lightly down the street. Car warms up super fast. Not sure how it will do in winter. May get the block heater installed.

TW@

It's a 110 degrees here, I just get in and drive. I don't push it hard when just starting the drive of course

One thing is the transmission stays cold a bit longer than the engine so the temp needle won't reflect that.

If you put synthetic in the gearbox you can really tell the difference when it gets warmed up versus cold.

I usually let cars fast idle for 30 seconds ( a bit longer in Winter) and then don't really get on it for 5-10.

razorlab

1000 Post Club
This car warms up pretty darn fast.
Not as fast as the dash will lead you to believe. I logged my Fiesta from a cold start to full coolant temp. The dash board showed normal operating temp WAY before it actually was, at about 120F, where fully warm is 185-190F. Which took, after idling for about 1 minute in my driveway, about 2 miles of driving and sitting at stop lights, at about 65F ambient.

Here is the log:

http://datazap.me/u/razorlab/fistcommute082514?log=0&data=1-5-6-7&solo=5&zoom=0-3790

dyn085

2000 Post Club
You should also log oil temperatures as they take even longer to come up to operating temps.

Not as fast as the dash will lead you to believe. I logged my Fiesta from a cold start to full coolant temp. The dash board showed normal operating temp WAY before it actually was, at about 120F, where fully warm is 185-190F. Which took, after idling for about 1 minute in my driveway, about 2 miles of driving and sitting at stop lights, at about 65F ambient.

Here is the log:

http://datazap.me/u/razorlab/fistcommute082514?log=0&data=1-5-6-7&solo=5&zoom=0-3790
So glad to see this, as I was incredulous at how quickly the dash engine temp readings came up to 'normal'; one minute? It just didn't make sense! Thanks so much for this vital information.

I never 'push' my engine until I'm certain she's up to normal, healthy, operating temps.

This information makes me wonder why the gauge reading would be so inaccurate and how I'm supposed to know when it happens, since the 'gauge' cannot be relied upon...

And, I can't stand not having an analog gauge on a performance engine... such is the 'price' of an affordable hot-hatch I suppose...
You should also log oil temperatures as they take even longer to come up to operating temps.
+1