Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How many people warm up their Fiesta ST before driving?

How many people warm up their Fiesta ST before driving?

• I don't

Votes: 122 34.0%
  • I always do

Votes: 131 36.5%
  • I do but only on really cold days

Votes: 106 29.5%

• Total voters

dyn085

2000 Post Club
I've monitored my coolant temps and oil temps along my drive to get an idea of where it was basically ok to drive a bit harder, and I imagine it's a lot farther than most people think. I didn't take logs because I didn't really think about it, but I'll grab some as well next time I remember it. I didn't see a selection to monitor oil pressure, which I think would be the most valuable of the three in a turbocharged application.

razorlab

1000 Post Club
They aren't called dummy gauges for no reason. Most temp gauges are only useful for "Am I screwed or not"

I've had a car blowing coolant out the headgasket, 250F+ logged, onto my front tire into a braking zone with me trying not to scream like a little girl and the dash gauge still wasn't maxed out once I had time to look at it after recovering from said event.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
My jeep wrangler 4.0L cooked its self. The dash gauge was feed by a sensor before the thermostat. The engine ecu got feed off a sensor on the motor.

The motor knew it was running hot when the thermostat stuck closed, but I had no idea until my oil pressure dropped to 0psi with water in the oil.

Good call jeep.

So... I ditched that garbage old tractor motor and swapped this in

They aren't called dummy gauges for no reason. Most temp gauges are only useful for "Am I screwed or not"

I've had a car blowing coolant out the headgasket, 250F+ logged, onto my front tire into a braking zone with me trying not to scream like a little girl and the dash gauge still wasn't maxed out once I had time to look at it after recovering from said event.
The newer ones are a little better but generally there are three settings: Cold, OK, and Oh Shit Pull Over!

As with all my cars I let the idle drop down till I head out. Basically in the summer its a couple seconds, in the winter its closer to 30.

Generally let mine run for a couple of minutes in the morning then drive easy till it up to temp. I also sit for a minute or two when I park to let everything cool down a bit or stabilize. Habit from older turbos.

In the summer not really, but now that's it's colder I'll wait a minute or two then take it easy until it gets up to normal temp. Usually doesn't take but a few blocks.

felopr

myself maybe 1 minute or so, while the door garage opens and i put my seatbelt, plug the celphone , set the radio, etc etc

I've come to the conclusion I let my car idle too long. When I get out of work I turn my car on and let it idle for 5~10 min sometimes a little longer. So far everyone is saying I shouldn't be letting it idle and I've been doing it since I got the car because some bonehead I work with said i should let warm up because it's a turbo. Now I feel like a twat because not only is he wrong, so am I. I'm not gonna blow the motor up am I? Currently at 1900 miles.

As with all cars, but especially turbos you need to warm them up properly before getting on it. With turbos you really need to let the the oil warm up properly (so it can circulate the turbo providing proper lubrication) before getting in the boost. A little bit of boost is unavoidable but hard runs should be done on a fully warmed up car. Best way to warm it up is to drive it. But as ive said most cars you should give it 30 seconds when its cold outside so that it can build oil pressure before setting off and driving normal.
Hope this helps.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
I make sure the water temp is about 120-130 (its turns to middle of the temp gauge on the cluster at 122) and the oil temp about 90-100 before driving off!

I like to warm it up because I sure as hell don't like to be woken up, no warm up or prep and made to run spirit a mile within 1 minute [sleeping]
This is the correct answer.

haste

1000 Post Club
I normally let the car idle until the tach starts dropping, then drive off.

gabe

I always let my car idle until 4 bars show up. Otherwise I feel my oil isn't warm enough to flow as well as I would like.

MOFiST

I don't see extreme cold weather in my area. After reading on oil forums I'll continue the theory of starting the car and just driving for a few miles of low rpm shifting before giving any giddy up to the car.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
I just start up and go...But then again its really never cold here either...yesterday was in the mid 80's...

But while driving I still always wait until the engine is warmed up before going into higher rpms...

^ that. I let it idle down after starting it cold, avoid anything over 3000 RPM, and keep it out of boost for 10 minutes or 5 miles. Even then, the oil isn't going to be up to full temp, but the design of our oil cooler helps warm it up faster.

rexdriver85

I always idle for a minute and then take it easy until the coolant and oil come up to temp.

But how about cool down? I always let it idle about a minute or two after a drive, this is especially important in a turbocharged vehicle.

Wonder if COBB has plans to add a turbo timer to the AP. I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone install one yet.

Me personally, I have the discipline to just let it cool down after a drive but if the AP had a turbo timer I would use it.