Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How many people warm up their Fiesta ST before driving?

How many people warm up their Fiesta ST before driving?

• I don't

Votes: 122 34.0%
  • I always do

Votes: 131 36.5%
  • I do but only on really cold days

Votes: 106 29.5%

• Total voters

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Be careful about absolutes. I can go out right now and start my carb'd 289 without any choke.
Fair enough. But I didn't use absolutes. An absolute would be saying you could never start without using the choke...which was not what I was saying at all. My point really was that adjusting the choke is needed with carburetors if it is cold enough. This is actually the purpose of having the choke.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Not sure I ever posted on this thread but I only warm up my car when it is cold out like 30 degrees or so, the rest of the time the good oil I use will take care of it if I take it easy until warmed up. Exception to that is where we are now located, very steep hill 100 ft from us, I start the car and let it idle awhile before I drive up it even if it is 60 degrees out.

Edit: Tracking or autocross, I always warm it up really well before driving it but on track sometimes I have to mostly use the warm up lap which does the job just fine.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
I warm mine to about 100F in the winter before I set off. Takes about 2.7 seconds here in Houston lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Does anyone prime their oil and fuel pump up before starting the car?

In the case of our push button start system, this would involve pressing the start button and waiting a few seconds for the gauges to cycle, before depressing the clutch & pressing the start button again in order to turn the engine over. On an automatic turn key type of vehicle, this would require putting the key in the ignition position and waiting a few seconds for all the electro-hydro-mechanical systems to boot up, before turning the key to start the engine.

In the case of our push button start system, this would involve pressing the start button and waiting a few seconds for the gauges to cycle, before depressing the clutch & pressing the start button again in order to turn the engine over. On an automatic turn key type of vehicle, this would require putting the key in the ignition position and waiting a few seconds for all the electro-hydro-mechanical systems to boot up, before turning the key to start the engine.
How does turning on the ignition "prime their oil?"

felopr

You mean prime the fuel, oil pump is driven by the timing chain/belt.
This is good practice to prime the fuel pump, especially if you have older cars. This car does it super fast, like 1 second, you can even hear it

Well I guess you can't 'prime' the oil if the oil pump is timing chain driven. I thought it was electro-mechanically driven like the fuel pump, but from what you guys are saying that is not the case. Thanks for catching that.

So say car XYZ has been sitting in a lot for a while or its really really cold outside. Is there a method you can use to generate oil pressure, to purge the engine with oil first, before cranking it over?

Nice to know our fuel pump is really quick to boot!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Well I guess you can't 'prime' the oil if the oil pump is timing chain driven. I thought it was electro-mechanically driven like the fuel pump, but from what you guys are saying that is not the case. Thanks for catching that.

So say car XYZ has been sitting in a lot for a while or its really really cold outside. Is there a method you can use to generate oil pressure, to purge the engine with oil first, before cranking it over?

Pull the fuel pump (or ignition) relay and crank it for a few seconds, but not sure IF this would set a DTC code/cluster light or not. [dunno]

felopr

IF the car has been seating for alot, lets say a month, in the old cars you could just pull the fuse that powers the fuel pump, and the car wont start but it would crank, that is what i did when i build a honda engine way back in the day, just to prime the oil gallery and bearings. if i am not mistaken, this fiesta, you could put the gas pedal all the way down, leave it there, and try to start the car, the car wont start, but it would crank, i think is for that.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
After an oil change or a lengthy sit, I always prime the lubrication system. This avoids the brief lifter clatter on startup.

Whether it has an ignition key or push button, doing this is the same. Simply floor the accelerator pedal before beginning, and during the crank. That's it. Flooring the accelerator turns off the fuel injectors. This feature is actually meant to help clear/prevent flooding an engine with fuel after a failure to start. Do not stress the starter by cranking it for stupidly long periods. Empty filter after an oil change, cranking it for two, seven to ten second periods, is probably way more than enough. (that's cranking it for seven to ten seconds, two times, for a total of fourteen to twenty seconds)

I warm mine everyday, when I start the engine the rpm hangs at 1200 for about 2-3 minutes before settling to 900ish. Then go. Oh, it’s minus 13-16C here lately..

Sent from my iPhone using Glue and macaroni

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
After an oil change or a lengthy sit, I always prime the lubrication system. This avoids the brief lifter clatter on startup.

Whether it has an ignition key or push button, doing this is the same. Simply floor the accelerator pedal before beginning, and during the crank. That's it. Flooring the accelerator turns off the fuel injectors. This feature is actually meant to help clear/prevent flooding an engine with fuel after a failure to start. Do not stress the starter by cranking it for stupidly long periods. Empty filter after an oil change, cranking it for two, seven to ten second periods, is probably way more than enough. (that's cranking it for seven to ten seconds, two times, for a total of fourteen to twenty seconds)
Yeah, this.^^^ [thumb]
(I forgot that our drive-by-wire accelerator system functions like this.)

I usually warm it up, it’s not enjoyable to drive a freezing cold car to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club
As far as the poll, how long counts as "warming up"? I think the best practice is just let it do it's high idle thing, like 30 secs max, then drive it easy for 5 minutes and you're good.

Don't forget water temp rises way more quickly than oil temp! So drive gently a bit longer than stock temp gauge says normal temp reached.
I too agree idling is not needed with advanced fuel injection, and computerized engine adjustments.