Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

BOV vs BPV. Models, Issues, Recommendations

Hey everyone, this is my first post so I'm gonna try to include everything without being too overbearing in newbie-ness... And hopefully this is in the right section please move this thread if so. Thanks!

Also I apologize in advance if I misuse terms or wrongly identify components. I'm not too savvy with turbo terminology and the sorts. Also I apologize for the excessive questioning, trying to soak up as much information as I can. I love this community and am trying to get as emerged into the knowledge base many of you have on the Fiesta ST.

For a reference - I have a 17 FiST, Stage one with Cobb RMM, drop in filter, with AP and Mountune custom tuning.

I originally started looking at the BOV spacer, and loved the extra umph and sharpness of the psshhhh coming from the stock valve. But it got me thinking; would it be worth it to get an aftermarket BOV. Stock is mostly plastic anyway but would like y'alls take on it. I do plan on keeping this car and eventually take it to Stage 3 and probably E85 with big turbo - as it also seems to be the path everyone takes lol. For a more immediate goal, Catless DP maybe, think I am leaning toward the Injen exhaust, and FMIC or at least piping for now. ( I know this isn't the right thread for this information, I will make a new thread under the builds section for input after I get a better understanding from this topic, just wanted to include to reduce questions in comments)

Currently I am looking at the TurboSmart Kompact Shortie BOV. Some issues / grievances I've seen is that people don't like the atmospheric / elemental exposure and go with the Plumb one instead. Why is this?
The BPV option (the plumb TurboSmart option. Again.. don't know all the terminology, sorry for any cringing I am causing) doesn't really have the iconic psshh. I'm assuming because essentially it is recirculating the air and reducing the lag more considerably than the BOV would. The BOV is 50/50 so you can adjust this (right?) So why is the BPV more preferred?

Retracing back up to why I liked the spacer: yes mainly because I love BOV noise. But, do they have any performance impact wether it be positive or negative?

I've seen that with the TurboSmart, and others, that it allows the turbo to spool and stay spooled in between gears, thus reducing the lag and allowing you to build and maintain higher pressure. However, I've also read and gotten feedback that it can reduce your max pressure. Currently I am sitting at a max of 24.84 pounds (according to my Access Port. And it refuses to get to 25..), perhaps a pound wouldn't be too noticeable if an aftermarket BOV allows for the boost cap to be maintained for longer, but I would prefer some input on this as well.
TurboSmart replied with this when someone inquired about it : it is not a problem and being purposefully done by the ECU to keep the turbo spooled even though it has commanded the TB to back off.You dont hear it with the stock valve because it does not have a VTA . (Copied from another partially similar thread that has since died).
Another issue multiple users have stated is that they experienced flutter, but I believe that also ties into TurboSmart's reply above.

Hopefully I've covered a good bit of my concerns, and quirks.

What are y'alls preferences in regards to BOV vs BPV and why?
What brands / models tend to perform better? (sounds and preformance wise)
Would it be a bad decision to upgrade now since I'm only at Stage One, or would it be smart for later on down the road, or is it just a preference thing?

For my decision, performance tops aesthetics. However, I would love to hear that snail make noise. Originally I liked the layered blow off valves that change in pitch, but really do like the TurboSmart Shortie and kind of reminds me of the Supra high pitched. Which I also like.. But then again straight pipe gets spooling noise, crackling, and I've even seen flames, so that could be enough of a trade off for me, but would like to at least have an option between with and without BOV noise, and significant (if any) performance difference.

Sorry for the long read!

Thank y'all in advance for your input and help!

- Hunter

OP
K
Thread Starter #3
That's pretty neat actually. Besides being more responsive, what's some more performance buffs that comes with this?

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
If you are going to go big turbo then get one that goes in the symposer location. If you go with the gfb dv+ witch I have. It will be money down the drain unless it's a hybrid turbo you are planning on witch the gfb dv+ will fit.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

felopr

IF you are staying stock or even ots maps, stay with the stock BPV.
Some people have says that holds boost to 25psi on the stock snail just fine
Is plastic, so it will probably leak with the years.
If you want to stay the BPV course (stock turbo and hybrid turbo options), you can upgrade the stock BPV with a GFB DV+ kit
https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...ve-dv-ford-fiesta-ecoboost-direct-replacement
A word on caution on the DV+, is kinda hard taking apart the plastic part on the stock BPV that the DV+ replaces it with and most people broke it when taking it apart, so if you want to go back from DV+ to stock (for whatever reason) you cant and have to buy a new BPV (usually $50)

If you want more Pshhhh you have a couple of options:
Go with a spacer between the turbo and the BPV, like the boomba spacer for example:
http://www.boombaracing.com/fiesta-st-blow-off-valve-bov-adapter/

OR go with a true BOV, but if you go with this option, opt for the ones that it is install in the symposer hose , not on the turbo
like the one from whoosh:
https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...2017-s-port-blow-off-valve-kit-no-tune-needed

I said if you go with a BOV opt for one on the symposer hose, since most, if not all the BOV required adjustment to dial them in, and since if you put BOV on the turbo, is going to be a pain to adjustment and dial it in (since you have to jack up the car since the turbo is in the back on the engine) over the symposer hose that is in front on the engine

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
I took my stock bpv apart at 60k and just took my time with needle nose pliers and worked my way in a circle and it came apart no problem. Still got the parts just in case.

felopr

I took my stock bpv apart at 60k and just took my time with needle nose pliers and worked my way in a circle and it came apart no problem. Still got the parts just in case.

i know it can be done without breaking it, like i said, most people tend on breaking it.
You just got to take your time on doing it