Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

First engine mod ideas?

Hello all, finally looking to start with the power mods. Just going to keep it mild at first so here is what I have put together.

Damond OCC
Whoosh FMIC
ST 200 intake w/Whoosh intake pipe and Ram air filter
Stratifed Accessport or Tune + tuned for the above.

Any other suggestions for this would be appreciated. Not really looking to do a DP at this time simply because I have read where the exhaust on this car is fine until we upgrade our turbo. I am really just going for the most bang for my buck power mods first, as the car is plenty fun as is.

Only "power mod" to date is I have deleted the resonator on the exhaust lol.

I have read the beginning power mod guide as well, just thought there may be some other ideas out there floating around outside of that.

Thanks for looking.

I would just stick with intercooler and tune and the catch can to possibly prevent intake valve carbon buildup, that is where 97 percent of the gain will come from, save the rest of the money for suspension or wheels ect....

Zissou

That's a good place to start. Catch can is a good idea to prevent build up and you'll get the most bang for your buck with an accessport. Stock box is pretty good as far as intakes go. The injen I have pretty much is only for sound.

I'd add a rear motor mount to that list.

OP
spdkills83
Thread Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. As far as the RMM goes I have the CPE currently. After doing a bit more research looks like I will go with Tune + on the tuning part of things when I proceed with power mods.

Any other thoughts or comments are welcome.

Thank you [thumb]

It sounds like you're going for the same goals I am, which is a stock turbo build in which you get the best bang for your buck for performance gains and overall fun.

Based off those parts you mentioned and since you're planning to get an aftermarket intercooler, I would recommend you consider a used Short Ram Intake such as Injen or another brand. They're probably much cheaper than every other intake option and should still net you some gains. Best part of all is the wonderful induction noise you'll gain from it, which is absolutely beautiful.

Most people will say that with a Short Ram Intake sucking it hot air from the engine bay will actually be worse performance, but from my research an efficient aftermarket intercooler effectively brings the intake air temps back to ambient levels anyways. No intake can bring your temps below ambient temp level, so the price savings and beautiful sound an SRI makes becomes a real benefit here over the other options.

That's what I currently have installed on my car, I got it for $120 but I had to purchase a Woosh motorsports adapter for it not to throw any CEL codes since I have a 2016+ model. The sound is great and the throttle response is improved, and butt-dyno says theres a few HP gained in there. Compared to the other intake options, besides the improvement in induction noise, the best part is I didn't have to spend much money for it.

felopr

IF you have a little more budget i add a RMM and a crossover pipe to that list. But the main ones are there already, the AP and the FMIC ;)

I'm not sure you gain enough with the ST200 to justify its cost over just putting a Cobb or Mountune (K&N style) flat panel filter. I have not seen anything definitive, as in back to back dyno runs with the same car on the same day. I would be interested to know if that data is available.

Zissou

I have an Injen intake with a snorkle and can confirm it does nothing but make noise.

Your best bang for buck first mods are going to be Cobb AP, RM, drop in filter, followed by an intercooler. You can often find those first 3 as a kit and save a few bucks that way.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
I'm not sure you gain enough with the ST200 to justify its cost over just putting a Cobb or Mountune (K&N style) flat panel filter. I have not seen anything definitive, as in back to back dyno runs with the same car on the same day. I would be interested to know if that data is available.
I'm wondering why Ford would waste development money if it didn't.

For one, Ford wouldn't sell a car with a gauze style filter like the drop in panel filters. They don't filter well enough, the oil may contaminate the MAF sensor over time, and they are louder than the stock paper element.

You're comparing apples to oranges. He said "maybe not enough gain to justify its cost" he didn't say that the intake doesn't provide any gain at all. The cost/benefit for a car owner to upgrade to ST200 v another intake and Ford's cost to develop the ST200 intake are two different things.

RMM, short shift plate and GFV DV or a BOV. Whoosh has a radium OCC on his site as an alternative to the Damond. Iā€™d check that out as well.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
For one, Ford wouldn't sell a car with a gauze style filter like the drop in panel filters. They don't filter well enough, the oil may contaminate the MAF sensor over time, and they are louder than the stock paper element.
I beg to differ, the Mountune MP215 uses the K&N and is sold and warranted by Ford. Only dummies that over oil a K&N filter have problems and nobody will have warranty problems with them properly used. I am pretty sure Ford did not develop the ST200 intake....I believe it was Mountune. As to filtering I have used K&N for 40 years on every car that they had a filter to fit. My BMW 320is had 300K and was still a dd when I donated it to a charity and never burned a drop of oil. Never had a car with any signs of wear from the air filter doing a poor job or an intake or air tube showing any dirt of dust internally. Since it is totally enclosed in an airbox with the Mountune MP215 there is no increase in intake noise with it on the ST. The short ram cones do indeed increase intake noise. The only real negative is that you must clean it and oil it rather than dropping one in. That is the main reason nobody offers them as factory stock. You can't get owners to check fluid levels much less deal with a K&N air filter. Besides Ford SELLS replaceable air filters by the hundreds of thousands a day. A K&N is a one time purchase.[wrenchin]

Personally we recommend CPE Intercooler, Cobb AP, Tune Plus tune, either modify your OEM air box and do a panel filter or buy the mountune box & then pickup the FSwerks shift plate & all of the boomba shift bushings! Youā€™ll love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quisp

1000 Post Club
I beg to differ, the Mountune MP215 uses the K&N and is sold and warranted by Ford. Only dummies that over oil a K&N filter have problems and nobody will have warranty problems with them properly used. I am pretty sure Ford did not develop the ST200 intake....I believe it was Mountune. As to filtering I have used K&N for 40 years on every car that they had a filter to fit. My BMW 320is had 300K and was still a dd when I donated it to a charity and never burned a drop of oil. Never had a car with any signs of wear from the air filter doing a poor job or an intake or air tube showing any dirt of dust internally. Since it is totally enclosed in an airbox with the Mountune MP215 there is no increase in intake noise with it on the ST. The short ram cones do indeed increase intake noise. The only real negative is that you must clean it and oil it rather than dropping one in. That is the main reason nobody offers them as factory stock. You can't get owners to check fluid levels much less deal with a K&N air filter. Besides Ford SELLS replaceable air filters by the hundreds of thousands a day. A K&N is a one time purchase.[wrenchin]
" Ford and Mountune worked very closely together when developing the original Mountune kit ā€“ to such an extent in fact that, according to the ST200ā€™s programme chief, the intellectual property rights remained with Ford. This allowed it to easily implement a similar strategy of intake mods... Mountune remains Fordā€™s officially endorsed partner, however, so donā€™t think thereā€™s been a falling out."

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/ford/ford-fiesta-st200-2016-review/

danbfree

3000 Post Club

That's what I currently have installed on my car, I got it for $120 but I had to purchase a Woosh motorsports adapter for it not to throw any CEL codes since I have a 2016+ model. The sound is great and the throttle response is improved, and butt-dyno says theres a few HP gained in there. Compared to the other intake options, besides the improvement in induction noise, the best part is I didn't have to spend much money for it.
Are you freaking serious? An INTAKE will throw a CEL on a 2016+? WTF.. Ya, just gonna stick with the Mountune package for $589 and you get AP w/way better than Cobb OTS tune, RMM and drop in, DONE... (*until I go turbo upgrade anyway...lol)

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Are you freaking serious? An INTAKE will throw a CEL on a 2016+? WTF.. Ya, just gonna stick with the Mountune package for $589 and you get AP w/way better than Cobb OTS tune, RMM and drop in, DONE... (*until I go turbo upgrade anyway...lol)
No code if you use a FORD hose to connect without bypassing emissions like the Woosh. So it comes down to warranty and legality. Do you feel lucky?

danbfree

3000 Post Club
No code if you use a FORD hose to connect without bypassing emissions like the Woosh. So it comes down to warranty and legality. Do you feel lucky?
Emissions as in the crank case and bypass return hose? So I think I read correctly before if you want to use a BOV or VTA you have to use an adapter? Also, catch cans are a great idea if you plan on keeping the car more than 60k miles, these DI engines get nasty carbon buildup...

Are you talking about the MP215? Where are you seeing it for $589, because on their site it's listed at $999..??