Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What's everyone's thought on the new Ford Ranger?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Is it just me or the small size trucks are just too big now? My father had the first gen Canyon and he bought a new one a year ago. It so much bigger it's ridiculous. They are now almost as big as last gen Silverado. The same thing is happening to the Ranger. I want my small truck to be small and light, not last gen full size/weight! Maybe it's just me.
NOPE, NOT just you!

'Size creep' is a disease which effects ALL vehicles currently (I know I'm in the overwhelming MINORITY here when I say this, but even OUR rides could be smaller/lighter as far as I'm concerned!! [wink]). [:(]

The manufacturers seem to think that EVERYTHING must get BIGGER and HEAVIER in order to sell (current gen Miata excepted).
A "small' truck SHOULD BE radically discernible in size and weight from a FULL SIZE truck, and NOT just an inch or two here and there. [nono]

I hope it sells well, but it is a little late to the party.
Welcome to Ford in the 2010's. Seriously, they are late on both the EcoSport and the Ranger, the competition has been there for a few years now and the EcoSport has to hurt them a lot with the non-stop growing number of CX-3, Qashqai(?fucked up name...), HR-V and C-HR.

felopr

Doesn't the ranger supose to be the cheap version of a f150, well this doesnt look like it.
if you remove the ranger name, anyone would say is a f150. I
If they ask for more than 30k,forget it

Great to see the ranger back. My first vehicle was a ‘97 single cab Ranger. Rolled over after being rear ended by drunk driver. Second vehicle was a ‘02 cab plus Ranger Edge. Miss the truck but Fiesta ST is so much more fun to drive

Which, to your point Florida, the Ranger left the market. Talking to some of my friends at Ford, with financing deals and rebates, a low end F150 was about what a nice Ranger was costing. So, they let the old Ranger languish until it died off.

NOPE, NOT just you!

'Size creep' is a disease which effects ALL vehicles currently (I know I'm in the overwhelming MINORITY here when I say this, but even OUR rides could be smaller/lighter as far as I'm concerned!! [wink]). [:(]

The manufacturers seem to think that EVERYTHING must get BIGGER and HEAVIER in order to sell (current gen Miata excepted).
A "small' truck SHOULD BE radically discernible in size and weight from a FULL SIZE truck, and NOT just an inch or two here and there. [nono]
I agree about the issue of size creep over time. I had several Rangers as shop trucks over the years. The big problem with Ranger, one that grew with time and factory updates, was they got very expensive as you optioned them out.
So expensive that price overlaps with six cylinder F150 became pretty common at several points. The 4 liter v6 powertrain was not very fuel efficient once you started to actually tow trailers or haul much weight. The four cylinder automatic combination was both slow and weak for much of anything like towing or load hauling. I still believe a 4 cylinder manual transmission 2wd shortbed Ranger is one of the most useful and tough little light duty pickups ever made.
But, a v6 or straight six F150 serves a work purpose much better than any v6 Ranger could

I agree about the issue of size creep over time. I had several Rangers as shop trucks over the years. The big problem with Ranger, one that grew with time and factory updates, was they got very expensive as you optioned them out.
So expensive that price overlaps with six cylinder F150 became pretty common at several points. The 4 liter v6 powertrain was not very fuel efficient once you started to actually tow trailers or haul much weight. The four cylinder automatic combination was both slow and weak for much of anything like towing or load hauling. I still believe a 4 cylinder manual transmission 2wd shortbed Ranger is one of the most useful and tough little light duty pickups ever made.
But, a v6 or straight six F150 serves a work purpose much better than any v6 Ranger could
In addition to my FiST, I have a 1994 Ranger 2wd 4 cyl shortbed with a 4 speed manual that I got new when I went to college; I still have it and after 197,000 miles it still runs great. I've used it for hauling my mountain bike around as well as for other various projects. I've had several recent offers to buy it, including my mechanic who used to work for Ford - it's a not too common plum color; would I trade it in for a new Ranger? I don't think so - maybe some day if I keep it long enough it will be a minor classic lol!,

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^I did not think that anyone still produced/offered a 4 speed manual gearbox in 1994?! [dunno]

Is it some form of New Venture trans? [???:)]

I'm sure the most basic 2wd new Ranger will sticker for around 20k. I just don't see the appeal of a pickup truck with less capability than a basic F150. I guess some parallel logic with Fiesta versus Focus appeal could be in play. But, most car people wont be confronted with the possibility of needing to tow a U-Haul trailer six hundred miles with an already loaded cargo area.