Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Did anyone see the Veloster N coming?

Hyundai just debuted a new 3-door and 5-door hot hatch the Veloster N at the Detroit Auto Show. Not sure if it competes against the focus or the fiesta but it's interesting. 275 horsepower and I think it said 6-speed manual. Probably will be low production and pricey. But anything that keeps the segment alive is good news I think.

Yeah I heard we are getting something from there N division "Nurburgring " dope!!! Probably has there newly designed engine and LSD. There is a sick documentary on YouTube about Hyundai involvement/development at the Nurburgring. I'm a nerd about it but I think it's cool. I don't really care for the velosters looks but being attached to the RING is pretty rare in America. Hopefully they sell well and they develop more cars for the US.

OP
M
Thread Starter #3
I went and looked again and this car is actually three doors plus the hatch. One door on the driver side and two doors on the passenger side. At first I thought that's ridiculous. But I like the looks a lot better of the driver side and that's the side I would see getting in and out all the time. And I guess the rear door could come in handy at times.

Hopefully this is the same underneath as the I30 N (probably) because from what most reviews are saying from across the pond that thing is awesome. The former head engineering of BMW's M division, Albert Biermann, works for Kia now so I'm sure he had a big part of this car being made. I'm excited and glad it exists[thumb]

Limited slip, electronically adjustable suspension, active exhaust w/ crackles, big brake option, rear bracing, front end cooling... and robust power to boot make for a positive initial impression. A lot of that stuff is optional though so id wager a bet that fully loaded it will break 33k. At that point you're up against the likes of the type r. It does sound like personality will be available as standard.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OP
M
Thread Starter #14
I think the sticker price will be determined by how limited the N model is. I haven't heard any production numbers yet, but if they're going to build in fairly large numbers I think they have to keep the price lower than most people expect. They're trying to cut out a new slice of the market for themselves. They may be willing to almost break even on just that one model to get lots of them out there. I'm predicting fully optioned still under 30k. I'll even predict $27,995 or less fully optioned. By the way with the drivetrain being pretty much the same as the I30 N, does anyone know if it will feature the hideous start-stop contraption? That is a deal-breaker for me no matter what car it's on.

OP
M
Thread Starter #16
The regular veloster is so bad its going to be tough to make this one good.
We will have to wait and see of course. But I will say that this is a completely new car on an all-new independent rear suspension platform. And the head of the program used to run the BMW M program. A company the size of Hyundai can throw unlimited resources at something like this if they want to. And in this case it appears they want to. I mainly want to see this car succeed so the domestic manufacturers will see that this segment still has some life in it.

zanethan

The regular veloster is so bad its going to be tough to make this one good.
The turbo with the manual isn't bad. My dad has one and loves it.

I don't imagine this will be a "rare" car at least no rarer than the FiST. Pricing will have to be competitive the other options in this segment so likely $25k-$35k (and it better be one hellava car for $35k). At least some auto makers still get that there's a market for fun manuals.

I'll probably go take a look at it when they hit the dealer lots, but the FiST is one of the first daily drivers that I think I've committed to paying off fully and actually driving vice trading it in for a new platform. My R53 Mini was the only other car that felt the same, but my hand was forced and after maintaining a used one for awhile... I'm good lol.

Hopefully these auto manufacturers continue this way for a couple years so when I finally move to a start without yearly property taxes, I won't have to worry about an annual bill to own my vehicle.

Hopefully it's better than the Genesis. There was a lot of hype for that one but the handling and excitement was pretty shit. I do have a soft spot for Hyundai since I had a Tiburon and I loved it. The Veloster N is really really awesome, I wouldn't mind the hatchback though. I forgot where I saw a picture of it and had a side profile close to the Focus.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Apparently, both passenger doors open when you open the front. It's growing on me.