Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stage 1 tune comparison

OP
R

redmoe

Thread Starter #22
I'm confused... why did you stop tuning with Justin? Just because his tune was too aggressive?
Several reasons:

1. The first file was way too aggressive
2. Slow or no response to messages
3. Poor attitude when asked for information or help
4. General poor customer service

Dizzy on the flip side was very responsive and a pleasure to deal with. I pulled the trigger on Stratified since it was only $50 and am very impressed with the tune. I will most likely get updates from both Dizzy and Statified when I add a fmic.

interested to see those results. Thanks for doing all of this, it has been a huge help on who I'll be going to for tuning. It's a shame the Freektune turned out the way it did. He's local to me and all the local ST guys love him and his work.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Several reasons:

Dizzy on the flip side was very responsive and a pleasure to deal with. I pulled the trigger on Stratified since it was only $50 and am very impressed with the tune. I will most likely get updates from both Dizzy and Statified when I add a fmic.
The data and opinions you have posted thus far have been super helpful in comparing our options for tuners as owners of this car. I definitely appreciate this information and am glad we have folks in the community who dedicate their time/money to these sorts of experiments.

OP
R

redmoe

Thread Starter #25
interested to see those results. Thanks for doing all of this, it has been a huge help on who I'll be going to for tuning. It's a shame the Freektune turned out the way it did. He's local to me and all the local ST guys love him and his work.
I originally picked him as I am from NH and he had good reviews from the Mazda community. The whole SCT thing really made it go sour. He did send me a follow up for the Cobb tune so I can run it to be fair if folks are interested. Honestly if he had offered to refund the SCT or at least a credit when I first brought it up there would have been no issue. You shouldn’t have to drag a response out of folks.

felopr

Would love to see the datalog refinement vdyno from dizzy if you had done it already

OP
R

redmoe

Thread Starter #27
Would love to see the datalog refinement vdyno from dizzy if you had done it already
Dizzy reviewed the logs and felt it was good to go. He asked me to do another run with the stock air box (mine is modified with a open bottom and side port) but I haven’t have a chance to swap my spare one back in yet. He is not seeing any issues in the data but he thinks my vdyno power is lower than other cars he has tuned and the intake is my only mod other than the resonator delete. I think is more likely the variation in vdyno due to weight and atmospheric conditions. Also the fuel quality here in AZ is terrible. I monitored my iats for awhile after modding the box and didn’t see a marked increase.

Several reasons:

It is unfortunate you had such a bad experience. Justin is very popular with the MazdaSpeed community (some claim he's even the best) although even there plenty of people I know have had difficulties getting in touch with him.

I feel it's difficult for us small fries (few bolt-ons, no records being set, etc...) to get attention from some of the larger tuners sometimes.

OP
R

redmoe

Thread Starter #30
I loaded up the Freektune revision this morning and will post results to be fair in the quality of the tune vs personal experience.

I loaded up the Freektune revision this morning and will post results to be fair in the quality of the tune vs personal experience.
Sorry to hear about your experience but I find it hard to believe that you know enough about tuning to call the first revision too aggressive.
Did you get lots of knock? or were you leaning out? Boost coming on too early?

Post results with logs and it will give a better picture of what is happening for everyone, the V-dyno is nice to see the hp/tq but I like data :)

Honestly, you don't have to know too much about tuning to know if your tune is aggressive. Stratified and Cobb have excellent writeups on the basics of tuning that would give most people enough understanding to determine if their tune is comparatively aggressive.

OP
R

redmoe

Thread Starter #34
Sorry to hear about your experience but I find it hard to believe that you know enough about tuning to call the first revision too aggressive.
Did you get lots of knock? or were you leaning out? Boost coming on too early?

Post results with logs and it will give a better picture of what is happening for everyone, the V-dyno is nice to see the hp/tq but I like data :)
The data log is posted earlier in the thread. The ignition correction and knock counts are the first indicator I looked at. Also the learned octane value was another indicator. These especially became concerning when compared to Cobb and the Dizzy tune. I went into it realizing that I would probably try a couple of different tuners.

I do have some past self tuning experience with an Evo 8 that I had and am planning on eventually getting the Cobb Tuning software but this ECU will require a decent learning curve compared to my limited experience in the past.

OP
R

redmoe

Thread Starter #36
and the new vdyno plot: Red and Blue are stratified, Green and Yellow are Freektune. The outside conditions were nearly identical between the 4 runs. Weight was adjusted to account for fuel level. All and all they are very close in performance but the Stratified has lower to no corrections and lower knock counts. Also the throttle response on the Stratified is much sharper. Looks like Stratified adds more fuel to keep the higher boost levels while holding knock at bay. freek rev b vs strat.jpg

and the new vdyno plot: Red and Blue are stratified, Green and Yellow are Freektune. The outside conditions were nearly identical between the 4 runs. Weight was adjusted to account for fuel level. All and all they are very close in performance but the Stratified has lower to no corrections and lower knock counts. Also the throttle response on the Stratified is much sharper. Looks like Stratified adds more fuel to keep the higher boost levels while holding knock at bay. View attachment 16789
You're definitely getting KR from the leaner AFR Freektune which creates more heat, the stratified tunes are using the direct injection to cool down the chamber with a richer AFR.
I am would agree with stratified being the better option right now because they have spent more time on R&D at this time.

Freektune and Stratified are both qualified tuners but some have more time on this platform to tweak things.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
It's always funny and curious in a way on how so many peoples numbers will vary depending on altitude/ambient air temp/location when it comes to HP and TQ numbers. I know why they vary but its just funny to notice 10-20 mainly HP difference in stage tunes.

felopr

Dizzy reviewed the logs and felt it was good to go. He asked me to do another run with the stock air box (mine is modified with a open bottom and side port) but I haven’t have a chance to swap my spare one back in yet. He is not seeing any issues in the data but he thinks my vdyno power is lower than other cars he has tuned and the intake is my only mod other than the resonator delete. I think is more likely the variation in vdyno due to weight and atmospheric conditions. Also the fuel quality here in AZ is terrible. I monitored my iats for awhile after modding the box and didn’t see a marked increase.
i think is more of the 3rd gear pull, why dont you do a comparison same tune ( dizzy, 3rd gear vs 4th) if you have the space

This thread is awesome. Thanks for the logs and info. Trying to hold off on an AP because I'm not 100% sure who I want a tune from, so threads like this really help.