Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stage 1 tune comparison

Did you say that's not what you bought the car for? LOL, in this thread?

Depending on the tune it can matter quite a bit, especially with the Cobb. They went more aggressive with quite a bit bigger torque punch and easy to monitor with OAR and knock, so literally no reason not to try it, I just always use Top Tier... This guy in Sherwood that went with a datalog tune says the tuner told him there was even more to be had after adjusting it more aggressively from a regular 93 tune. Not sure why our gas here is so underrated, but for volume and emissions purposes Cali gets actual crappy 91. Still waiting on my Strat tune, I'll keep you guys posted.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Lol, I just mean that the extra couple degrees of timing isn't worth the risk for me, but I have not tried any 93 octane files. My OAR is always at -1.00 and under WOT there are between 1.00 and 2.00 degrees of timing being added so I'm perfectly happy.

At some point after an intake and intercooler, I'm going to get an E30 tune from Dizzy, Stratified, or JST and probably do a pump gas tune as well with datalog reviews to see what the car will safely take.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Lol, I just mean that the extra couple degrees of timing isn't worth the risk for me, but I have not tried any 93 octane files. My OAR is always at -1.00 and under WOT there are between 1.00 and 2.00 degrees of timing being added so I'm perfectly happy.

At some point after an intake and intercooler, I'm going to get an E30 tune from Dizzy, Stratified, or JST and probably do a pump gas tune as well with datalog reviews to see what the car will safely take.
I have more to learn on this, I just know that it can make a difference of 15ft/lb or more and that especially on the Cobb OTS tune, REALLY gives it a nice torque spike... Anyway, I had asked around about the fuel and got some good feedback and decided to try the 93 tune after getting verified tuner info that our gas really is that good. Now, since it's staying so close to a full -1.00 OAR that means that it's definitely fine, if you are paying for the same "92" premium, you are leaving performance on the table with no risk, but to each their own, no worries if you don't care! :) But, if OAR was floating above 0 towards +1.0, THEN you know you have the wrong fuel for sure, I just thought you might be interested to know and to try it out since it doesn't hurt...

BUT, the big news is that my Strat tune just came! I need to run out to my car and grab my AP so I can load it on before I leave work! :)

Weird, after 2 months of pretty solid -1.00 with the odd drop to -.90 I've had 2 tanks of the OAR floating between -.78 and -.90. Funny thing is, 10 days ago for autox I was pegged at -1.00 the whole day. Maybe the change from winter to summer gas locally?

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Weird, after 2 months of pretty solid -1.00 with the odd drop to -.90 I've had 2 tanks of the OAR floating between -.78 and -.90. Funny thing is, 10 days ago for autox I was pegged at -1.00 the whole day. Maybe the change from winter to summer gas locally?
Yes, and with higher temps comes higher knock too... mine came off pegged at -1.00 all the way down to ONLY -0.96 (LOL)... But the email I just got from Strat mirrors what Cobb says too: As long as it stays in the negative (good) then it's fine... I only use Costco gas cuz price AND it's Top Tier at least, not sure if that affects octane consistency compared to off-brands or if Top Tier only matters as far as meeting the cleaner burning requirements set as originally intended, but Strat definitely mentioned to use only Top Tier also... Well, heading home in just a few minutes, I'll be reporting back tonight!

I have more to learn on this, I just know that it can make a difference of 15ft/lb or more and that especially on the Cobb OTS tune, REALLY gives it a nice torque spike... Anyway, I had asked around about the fuel and got some good feedback and decided to try the 93 tune after getting verified tuner info that our gas really is that good. Now, since it's staying so close to a full -1.00 OAR that means that it's definitely fine, if you are paying for the same "92" premium, you are leaving performance on the table with no risk, but to each their own, no worries if you don't care! :) But, if OAR was floating above 0 towards +1.0, THEN you know you have the wrong fuel for sure, I just thought you might be interested to know and to try it out since it doesn't hurt...

BUT, the big news is that my Strat tune just came! I need to run out to my car and grab my AP so I can load it on before I leave work! :)
I do pay for 92, gives better fuel economy and actually pays for itself compared to 89 for me at least. With a more custom tune and datalog revsions, I will have them go more agressive.

How long was the wait time from ordering your tune until now? Enjoy it, you're going to love the extra power!

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I do pay for 92, gives better fuel economy and actually pays for itself compared to 89 for me at least. With a more custom tune and datalog revsions, I will have them go more agressive.

How long was the wait time from ordering your tune until now? Enjoy it, you're going to love the extra power!
I ordered on Friday mid-day, came late today, so 3rd full business day, I did not order additional fine tuning and I'm kind of glad I didn't. I just got home from work, it was worth the 5 minutes or so to flash over before I left! OMG, the power comes on sooner, smoother and stronger compared to the Cobb OTS Stage 1 93 octane. The Cobb still has that bit of delay but gives a big torque wallop, the Strat just wants to go right away, I'm totally having to re-learn my driving style with this thing now, the power is just THERE right after shifting and taking off from a stop. I dare say the throttle response is almost too much, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. Unbelievable how it drives and I'm all stock other than cut out cold air hole in front of the stock snorkel with drop in Mountune/Green filter. I haven't gotten quite enough WOT pulls yet, the OAR started at -0.50 and has made it's way up to -0.93. it keeps adjusting upward each higher RPM pull on our "92" premium with the 93 tune, so I strongly feel we definitely actually 93 octane we get here... I have noticed a bit lower power if I keep the revs too low while cruising, I dare say the Cobb tune actually pulled out of cruising low RPM's better, but I'm sure it has still some adapting to do too. So far VERY happy for the money, I can always back down to the Cobb for different situations. BTW, the Strat traction control seems to work well too, it totally controls torques steer while still accelerating strong!

Agreed on all these. I was shocked at the power and torque. Traction is easy to lose. FYI Strat traction modifier is best at 4 or 5

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Agreed on all these. I was shocked at the power and torque. Traction is easy to lose. FYI Strat traction modifier is best at 4 or 5
They say that the TC default of 1 is actually about a 4.5: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-xXVY_0zrayNDc3TkpEaWdJN1FtY3YtRTBHR1lHLUlJODg4/view?usp=sharing

And still seems so weird how it just wants to take off but if cruising at low RPM's it doesn't seem to pick up as quick as Cobb when giving it like a third throttle for a little boost, interesting!

Strange. I was sure on the Stratified page they found 4 was the best modifier for overall accel

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Strange. I was sure on the Stratified page they found 4 was the best modifier for overall accel
If you look at that pic, "1" is "optimal" *setting*, NOT lowest level, that would be 2... Optimal setting of 1 would correspond to a manual setting of 4.5, so that's where you got that from... In fact, they could have refined/changed how they do those settings over time so it's nice to leave it on 1 by default and it's already exactly what you were saying, a manual setting of 4-5, so I'm happy!

danbfree

3000 Post Club
OK, so got a few more miles on it, made a trip to a further than necessary store last night and my commute this morning in cool weather, holy crap! The cruising speed bottom-end response is picking up, like at 2000RPM, definitely still in adaption phase... But also still getting used to the instant throttle response, it's hard to shift fast enough! LOL

One thing I noticed, and am curious and somewhat hesitant to mention. I noticed how dramatically the power drops off in the top end in comparison to the heaps of power and torque the car produces from 2k-5k. It's reasonable to see why it feels that way, and I certainly see how someone would do a hybrid turbo upgrade to get more power but I'd honestly rather do a LSD before the turbo.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
One thing I noticed, and am curious and somewhat hesitant to mention. I noticed how dramatically the power drops off in the top end in comparison to the heaps of power and torque the car produces from 2k-5k. It's reasonable to see why it feels that way, and I certainly see how someone would do a hybrid turbo upgrade to get more power but I'd honestly rather do a LSD before the turbo.
Well, that's exactly what a tiny turbo like ours does and exactly why so many go for the turbo upgrade... the tune has helped with that too so it's not as bad, but the little turbo runs out of torque to provide as it's already maxed out pretty quick... But with all that torque an LSD would definitely be nice, although I'm pretty happy with the new traction control too, very unobtrusive and knocks down torque steer significantly.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Nice, all kinds of braces are needed in the Hyundai/Kia community I came from, I traded in for a FiST because the wife literally would be mad if I spent too much on mods, so with my improving credit score I traded in for the FiST for the same payment as I knew it's suspension was at least far better, but I do miss the bigger turbo on my Forte5 SX, but they need all kinds of mods just to be sporty at all... Anyway, I'm happy to see that's VERY reasonably priced, essentially a 2 point front end brace, looks like it would be good to order the same time as a hotside pipe! That and a RMM and I should be good!

danbfree

3000 Post Club
OK, so after using the 93 tune for a couple of days and being a little surprised by it's flat-out almost race-like throttle response, I tried the 91 map slot this morning for my commute... Wow! WAY better driveability, it has the very low end grunt for slow rolling out of 2nd gear and more of the expected throttle response but also still excellent power too... it only spikes about 1 psi less when you go WOT but the driveability is vastly different for the better for daily driving... Did anyone else order both 91 and 93 from Strat and experience this? It's almost like you could call the 2 maps Daily and Race...

OK, so after using the 93 tune for a couple of days and being a little surprised by it's flat-out almost race-like throttle response, I tried the 91 map slot this morning for my commute... Wow! WAY better driveability, it has the very low end grunt for slow rolling out of 2nd gear and more of the expected throttle response but also still excellent power too... it only spikes about 1 psi less when you go WOT but the driveability is vastly different for the better for daily driving... Did anyone else order both 91 and 93 from Strat and experience this? It's almost like you could call the 2 maps Daily and Race...
i have both tunes but haven't tried the 93 flash yet. maybe ill try it now

danbfree

3000 Post Club
i have both tunes but haven't tried the 93 flash yet. maybe ill try it now
Yes, give it a try... it will use the fuel quality adaptions you've established already on 91 and I know you guys get good 93 out there so please give it a try and let me know... How long have you had yours?

I've had the tune for a bit over a month now but I haven't really been able to wail on it until recently because no traction. It's either been raining or too cold for traction.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I've had the tune for a bit over a month now but I haven't really been able to wail on it until recently because no traction. It's either been raining or too cold for traction.
So you got the 91 and 93 tunes? Any other options? It was $50 for base tune, $15 extra for the 2 fuels and $10 for their TC on by default, a great deal at $75 total!