Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stage 1 tune comparison

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I found a great deal on the MBRP secondhand, otherwise I would've gone the Whoosh route had I bought new. Getting rid of the Cobb because it's not quite as stiff as I'd like. There is pretty much ZERO nvh increase which I do like but just doesn't have that connected feeling I'm looking for. I'd like to go AWR or Revo next. I need to decide, order one, and install it before I officially list/sell the Cobb however in case I was wrong about what I wanted. Lol
I feel it has broken in a bit since installing, to the point where I forget it's there. I've put approximately 2k miles on it just cruising around.
Hmmm, would you say that it's still a big improvement over stock? And you have a '17 model car, right? I assume that the Torque Solutions one for sale on CL is too soft for you as it's only 75a? The thing is I know the '16 and newer does have a better stock one over the first 2 years and I'm not getting any engine bang, but being tuned I want to make sure I'm getting the power that I have down without extreme measures... so I figure a $200 investment in the RMM and Pierce bar would probbaly be the best bang for the buck...

I have a 2016 and never had any engine making the firewall, but I also never launched the car nor done a hard 1-2 shift. The biggest difference I noticed was the elimination of wheel hop. Yes the Cobb is still a big improvement over stock. I thought about that Torque solutions, but some quick online research revealed very poor results on it. I haven't looked into the Pierce bars much, but from what I've read on here the 2 point is a nice little upgrade.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I have a 2016 and never had any engine making the firewall, but I also never launched the car nor done a hard 1-2 shift. The biggest difference I noticed was the elimination of wheel hop. Yes the Cobb is still a big improvement over stock. I thought about that Torque solutions, but some quick online research revealed very poor results on it. I haven't looked into the Pierce bars much, but from what I've read on here the 2 point is a nice little upgrade.
This is excellent to hear... Well, we know we are local to each other, so let's stay in touch, I'm definitely interested in the RMM if it eliminates wheel hop with very little added vibration... So although I'm not looking to spend much more on the car right now, I'm sure we can work something out, sounds like money well spent to go along with all the torque from the tune!

OP
R

redmoe

Thread Starter #144
Ok guys I wanted to make an update to this thread comparing the last tune I posted (Dizzy e30) compared to the new Stratified high torque e30. These two end up being real close in power/torque. What I like about the Stratified is that the AFR is a little richer (more conservative). The Dizzy does make a bit more HP though. Both great tunes

Attachments

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Ok guys I wanted to make an update to this thread comparing the last tune I posted (Dizzy e30) compared to the new Stratified high torque e30. These two end up being real close in power/torque. What I like about the Stratified is that the AFR is a little richer (more conservative). The Dizzy does make a bit more HP though. Both great tunes
Hmmm, I like how the Dizzy comes on sooner and it's advantage is at the high end where we can take anything we can get... But if Strat has safer AFR's then that means a lot too.... So for those who don't know, Strat does have their whole tune updated to final version 4.0 now and the high torque option is essentially a second datalog option with a focus on e30 torque... I'm still bitter AF that e85 is not easy to find where I live, for you Cali guys with 91 premium but cheap e85 everywhere, you have to be a fool not to do this! Well, at least I have my $25 tune update order in for 93 octane, as I have both octane options, it definitely helps over 91 for sure at least... I believe e30 usually results in a 94-96 octane, so they aren't that far apart.

OP
R

redmoe

Thread Starter #148
The timing between the two tunes is pretty similar so the small bump in hp at the end is most likely due to the leaner afr on the dizzy tune. The difference between the two was consistent over several runs so I feel it is not due to single log variation. In the end it really comes down to which tune has the “feel” that works for you. Given how hot it is in Az and how poor our fuel quality is I am going to stick with the richer afr to help cool the compression cycle a bit.

Just loaded Stratified 93oct tune. All the temps and numbers look good. I got the custom tune so I still have to do some 3rd and 4th gear pulls and send those back to have the tune adjusted to the car. Defiently could tell a big difference over the Cobb tune.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Just loaded Stratified 93oct tune. All the temps and numbers look good. I got the custom tune so I still have to do some 3rd and 4th gear pulls and send those back to have the tune adjusted to the car. Defiently could tell a big difference over the Cobb tune.
You got the Stratified at a good time, the new 4.0 that came out on 5/12 is just worlds better than the previous one and that one was good to begin with. Pretty amazing how much torque we can get out of cars even without bolt on's!

Yeah so pumped with 4.0 and the progressive crackles. This tune is noticeably better and somehow I am hearing more induction sounds... I can't figure out if it's me punching it more, or it's just tweaks to tuning.[hihi]

OP
R

redmoe

Thread Starter #152
Well I started this thread as a S1 tune comparison but I still think it is good place to post comparisons of different tunes. Since the last plots I have upgraded my Dizzy tune to the V2 E30. Heres a comparison between the Stratified V4 E30 high torque and the Dizzy V2 E30. From what I have seen in the many tunes that I have tested from both suppliers is that Dizzy typically runs a little leaner, slightly more timing and a little less boost than Stratified (the V2 was the closest in boost to Stratified that I have seen thus far but the Peak boost is still ~.5 lower).

I do tend to get a very small amount of knock 1 to 2 counts intermittently with the Dizzy tunes out near 6200-6300 rpm. I have not seen this with the Stratified tunes. It is most likely due to the learner AFR and the slight increase in timing. That being said the ign correct is either very small or is not triggered during these events so I am not concerned.

Both tunes are very smooth (Dizzy may be a little smoother but it is hard to tell). THe Dizzy V2 seems to pull just a little harder and make just a little more torque (the difference is small enough to be in the noise with Vdyno).

So you really can't go wrong with either of these tuners!

Attachments

OP
R

redmoe

Thread Starter #153
Here's another comparison of the same tunes. Temps were still comparable you can see how the variation in conditions (even minor) can impact the run. Sorry I had the colors opposite on this one.

Attachments

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Here's another comparison of the same tunes. Temps were still comparable you can see how the variation in conditions (even minor) can impact the run. Sorry I had the colors opposite on this one.
Damn, just how hot was it when you ran these to get only 185whp on e30? LOL

But yeah, I feel how the tip in is just so much smoother with Dizzy that it really helps with take off and all shifts in avoiding jerkiness compared to Stratified, and along with just a tiny bit lower peak boost spike feels a little safer as well, car feels refined but powerful. Dizzy is definitely my new daily tune, but if I go out for a weekend rally ride or whatever, I'd probably switch over to Stratified for the more responsive throttle.

OP
R

redmoe

Thread Starter #155
It was around 105 out lol. Also since we only have 91 to mix in and we have E54 vs true E85 we are at ~95 octane with our E30 vs other states at ~97 octane. Also at 1100 ft altitude.

Glad to see everyone is loving Jason's new V2 tune, not surprised of course. Getting mine next week, can't wait.

OP
R

redmoe

Thread Starter #158
Here's a fun one (all corrected for temp and weight)
Red Dizzy V2 e30
Blue Stratified 91
Green COBB S1
Orange COBB S0 (stock)

Attachments

Ordered a e30 tune from Jason at Dizzy to go along with the 91 tune that I had from him. First I have to say that his customer service is awesome. Ordered on a Saturday got the tune today (Sunday). Awesome results: View attachment 17153
Same. Ordered at noon on Monday and I got it the next morning on Tuesday. He's been replying back quickly to any questions I had.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
R

redmoe

Thread Starter #160
Same. Ordered at noon on Monday and I got it the next morning on Tuesday. He's been replying back quickly to any questions I had.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
His customer service has always been top notch.