Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stage 1 tune comparison

A7xogg

No kidding, I’m originally from pike county but went to school in Scranton and decided to just stay. Although I miss living back in the sticks, everything is a lot more convenient where I’m at now, minus the commute.
Yeah it's definitely a little rough but it is pretty in that area

OP
R

redmoe

Thread Starter #63
e30 vs 91.jpg

Here's the final result with e30 and the Whoosh fmic. Stratified e30 tune for the following mods: Modified airbox, 2.5 inch catback, whoosh hot side charge pipe and whoosh fmic.

The ic and pipe did not increase power (as expected) but the charge air temps only go up 9 degs vs 30 with the stock ic. If you have flex fuel available in your area it is best option. More power and safer (based on the knock and ignition correction).

I may update my dizzy tune to compare but after that looks like I am done until I upgrade the turbo.

OP
R

redmoe

Thread Starter #65
all tune comparison.jpg

Comparison: Stratified e30, Stratified 91, Cobb OTS S1 91, Cobb S0 (stock)

Please note the while the Cobb OTS S1 and Stratified are close the Stratified has significantly less knock and correction.

OP
R

redmoe

Thread Starter #67
Ordered a e30 tune from Jason at Dizzy to go along with the 91 tune that I had from him. First I have to say that his customer service is awesome. Ordered on a Saturday got the tune today (Sunday). Awesome results: dizzy vs stratified e30.jpg

Really good thread you put together with a ton of useful info. I'm surprised that the OTS Stage 1 and Stratified 91 tune are so close power wise. My V3.0 Stratified flash tune is much faster than the OTS Stage 1 v5.3. Also have a Mountune flash (never datalogged) that feels faster than Stratified but power comes on so abrupt that it just blows the tires off. Very happy with Stratified, but going to add some mods and debating on who to go with next. Dizzy is one I am considering, along with Stratified and JST.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
(photo not included for space reasons)

Comparison: Stratified e30, Stratified 91, Cobb OTS S1 91, Cobb S0 (stock)

Please note the while the Cobb OTS S1 and Stratified are close the Stratified has significantly less knock and correction.
Hmmm, I got my AP a week or so and am using Cobb OTS Stage 1, 93 octane (Got a deal on a used one with no other OTS tunes included) and I'm not getting any knock or corrections... According to Cobb's info, they say that their 93 tune is leaner and more aggressive, but again, no knock or corrections and I'm even using 92 labelled octane as apparently it is known to be underrated in my area but a full -1.00 OAR as well also proves it... Anyway, I wonder how possibly poor fuel quality is affecting OP's results... as someone who just paid $75 for the Strat tune (91,93 and their TC option) and waiting patiently for it, I'm now wondering if I should have waited until I got an IC upgrade to go stage 2 before buying another tune.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Really good thread you put together with a ton of useful info. I'm surprised that the OTS Stage 1 and Stratified 91 tune are so close power wise. My V3.0 Stratified flash tune is much faster than the OTS Stage 1 v5.3. Also have a Mountune flash (never datalogged) that feels faster than Stratified but power comes on so abrupt that it just blows the tires off. Very happy with Stratified, but going to add some mods and debating on who to go with next. Dizzy is one I am considering, along with Stratified and JST.
Interesting, I thought Cobb is on v5.04? But anyway, these results are also interesting to me too... I am running Cobb 93 OTS v5.04 and just paid $75 for the Strat tune and I hope that 93 octane will help make a difference as all I've been hearing is how much better it is than Cobb...

OP
R

redmoe

Thread Starter #71
Yes the fuel quality in my are is a huge contributor. CA, AZ and NV have a common fuel spec that appears to be inferior to the rest of the country. To add insult to injury AZ has reduced the flex fuel from E85 to E54. Since they usually mix 87 octane to the ethanol the quality is even further reduced.

On a side note you can download all of the Cobb OTS maps from their site for free.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Yes the fuel quality in my are is a huge contributor. CA, AZ and NV have a common fuel spec that appears to be inferior to the rest of the country. To add insult to injury AZ has reduced the flex fuel from E85 to E54. Since they usually mix 87 octane to the ethanol the quality is even further reduced.

On a side note you can download all of the Cobb OTS maps from their site for free.
Thanks for all this info, it's been fantastic! I'm still trying to figure out which places actually have e85, there is no clear single search tool that includes them all... I definitely am all up to date with Cobb, I took my used one that literally was installed once and uninstalled before selling to me and was way behind in both firmware and maps, so got it all updated... Anyway, for all you CA/AZ/NV guys, e30 is DEFINITELY the way to go, as it makes such a big difference compared to the sketchy 91 you have... Also easy to just put in 5 gallons and the rest 91 if your blend is e54... Since we have such good 92 that it's really 93 here, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be such a big difference, I think I could get to max torque with some bolt ons and a decent 93 tune.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
You had me going there for a minute, but when you say Cobb 5.3 it's actually 5.03... there is a 5.04 but it is the same as 5.03, just a name change to match others apparently... So anyway, my take away is that the Cobb tune, especially 93, REALLY surprised me with how much low end it gave me, it literally made it so I don't even have to shift down to pass on the freeway, it actually makes power at 2500 now, and that REALLY helps this car feel so much faster... Now, I'm just hoping the Strat tune can maybe spread some of that torque upward, as of now it hits hard as soon as that 1 second of lag is gone, then boom, serious torque... So that and a few ponies up top would be nice, and also if their traction control is better than Cobb's it will be nice, which I've heard it will be... Great thread with lots of good input from everyone!

OP
R

redmoe

Thread Starter #74
I believe folks in the east cost have pretty good quality 93 and Dizzy has still shown pretty good gains going from 93 to e30. I believe that e30 is somewhere about 95 octane? Plus I believe it hat the ethanol provides additional cooling?

I believe folks in the east cost have pretty good quality 93 and Dizzy has still shown pretty good gains going from 93 to e30. I believe that e30 is somewhere about 95 octane? Plus I believe it hat the ethanol provides additional cooling?
Correct on both about the ethanol blend.

Dan- I see you're kind of local, you're welcome to come up to Battle Ground and feel the difference between Stratified and Cobb OTS if you'd like!

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Correct on both about the ethanol blend.

Dan- I see you're kind of local, you're welcome to come up to Battle Ground and feel the difference between Stratified and Cobb OTS if you'd like!
That sounds good, but I'm literally waiting for my Strat tune to arrive in my email any moment, I submitted my tuning form last Friday, guess we'll have to see how busy they are... Now are you more of the east/I-205 or west/I-5 side of Vancouver? My mom lives out in Troutdale and my fellow turbo buddy is in E. PDX, just past NE 122nd so I do get out that way on the weekends, so it would indeed be nice to compare!

That sounds good, but I'm literally waiting for my Strat tune to arrive in my email any moment, I submitted my tuning form last Friday, guess we'll have to see how busy they are... Now are you more of the east/I-205 or west/I-5 side of Vancouver? My mom lives out in Troutdale and my fellow turbo buddy is in E. PDX, just past NE 122nd so I do get out that way on the weekends, so it would indeed be nice to compare!
I am a couple miles north of where 5 & 205 come together, on the east side.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I am a couple miles north of where 5 & 205 come together, on the east side.
Ah, OK, might have helped if I actually read "Battleground" in your first post, lol... But let me ask you this: Had you heard that out 92 octane is actually very good and 93 tunes run well with no problems? I had asked early on and got some good feedback from others in our area that tuners who had worked with previous NW customers that we indeed have good quality gas, more like 93... so I've been running the Cobb 93 tune, which is pretty aggressive and have had zero issues, my OAR stays at -1.0 (the best) almost ALL the time, very occasionally will hit -0.99 but it's been a long time concern for me now resolved: We simply pretty much have 93 here!

Ah, OK, might have helped if I actually read "Battleground" in your first post, lol... But let me ask you this: Had you heard that out 92 octane is actually very good and 93 tunes run well with no problems? I had asked early on and got some good feedback from others in our area that tuners who had worked with previous NW customers that we indeed have good quality gas, more like 93... so I've been running the Cobb 93 tune, which is pretty aggressive and have had zero issues, my OAR stays at -1.0 (the best) almost ALL the time, very occasionally will hit -0.99 but it's been a long time concern for me now resolved: We simply pretty much have 93 here!
I have not heard that, but something to look into I guess. I know on my Mustangs they both take a fair amount of timing. I am using the 91 octane version of everything on the Fiesta (Cobb OTS, Mountune, and Stratified). The small difference in power isn't worth it for me, not what I bought the car for.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I have not heard that, but something to look into I guess. I know on my Mustangs they both take a fair amount of timing. I am using the 91 octane version of everything on the Fiesta (Cobb OTS, Mountune, and Stratified). The small difference in power isn't worth it for me, not what I bought the car for.
Did you say that's not what you bought the car for? LOL, in this thread?

Depending on the tune it can matter quite a bit, especially with the Cobb. They went more aggressive with quite a bit bigger torque punch and easy to monitor with OAR and knock, so literally no reason not to try it, I just always use Top Tier... This guy in Sherwood that went with a datalog tune says the tuner told him there was even more to be had after adjusting it more aggressively from a regular 93 tune. Not sure why our gas here is so underrated, but for volume and emissions purposes Cali gets actual crappy 91. Still waiting on my Strat tune, I'll keep you guys posted.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk