Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New guy from Ontario ready to pull the trigger on a new FiST

Hey everyone! I'm from southern, Ontario (Canada).

Full disclosure: I currently drive a 2007 Mazda3 Hatchback GT 5 speed with the larger 2.3L
-I've got 225,000 kms on it, I've never had to do much driving for work/personal but I live in St. Catharines
and work in Hamiton so know I'm doing about 50,000 kms per year.
-The car has lost its magic for me. Still works great, I've put a lot of $$ into in for repairs in the last year but its till not at 10% and I need something more exciting since I spend so much time in the car on a daily basis, anywhere from 2 to 3 hours

Reason's I'm about to pull th trigger on a 2017 FiST:
1. Soon they're won't be any new ones left to buy! (since they've discontinued in Canada for 2018) if anyone knows of anything different please let me know!)
2. It has everything I'm looking for
-Hatchback
-Turbo motor
-6 speed
-Widely available aftermarket support
-Reliability
3. 1% financing available with long term amortizations are available which is great for cash flow

I'm a car guy (I spend 90% of my internet surfing time looking at cars and I've been looking into my next ride for quite long time)

Other cars I considered (and why I think I've made my mid up on a new FiST):

Focus RS - too expensive, harsh ride even in "comfort mode"

Focus ST - this would be a second choice to the GTI , they're the basically the same price, the GTI IMHO has better looks, weighs much less, can be tuned easier (just go to APRs website to check it out), but the base one is approx $30k CAD but the one you want is high $30s without favorable interest rates. And why is its 500 pounds heavier than the FiST??

VW GTI - This would be very very high on my list, but I love shifting and the GTI has HUGE gear ratios (130kms/hr in second gear?). Otherwise I'd probably go for it

VW Golf R - also high on my list (has the shorter gear ratios I would want compared to the GTI) but I've read that everything is very "light" and doesn't feel that much faster that the GTI, plus the GTI IMHO looks better. Looking for something more "raw"

WRX STI (hatchback) - all are going to be used, somewhat expensive with an unknown history, most have been modded and likely not to me taste, I could be taking over someone's half completed project car or "ticking timebomb"
-A little too "boy racer" for me and I've read the fuel economy isn't great either
-This is going to be my daily driver so I need something reliable and/or something with problems that are easy to diagnose

Hyundai i30 N - I would buy this car tomorrow IF it were available in Canada (if you haven't heard about it I suggest doing a youtube/google search!!)

Hyundai Veloster N - this IS coming to Canada from what I understand, but I'm really not a fan of the styling

Civic Type R - I'm sure its a wicked car but the styling is ridiculous (IMHO) but I think the BMWs produced in the late 90s are so of the best looking cars ever (e46 M3 for example)

and BMW hot hatchbacks are not available in Canada (such as the M140)

So, some questions for you guys:
Reliability:
Whats the reliability like ? I've been through the forums and haven't read anything specific. My opinion after reading virtually every article, every you tube video and FiSt forum thread is its a very reliable vehicle and not a lot of cabin rattles.
(for example, my mz3 is prone to rust wheel wells, stock shocks only last 150kms, top motor mount usually needs to be replaced within the first year, break dust etc)

Tuning (I will tune this care, and its my first time tuning anything)
I'm thinking I would go for the mountune MP215 kit for starters and then IC and custom tune from Randy@mountune, plus springs

-Exhaust portion I would probably research a ton before making a move - I'm the kind of guy who wants every thing without compromises when it comes to sound so I'd want the car to be virtually silent at highway speed and backing out of driveway and sound like a Formula 1 V10 when I'm having fun.

So my question is where can buy mountune packages and tuning in Niagara/Hamilton area? Who does installs? Do I have to buy parts and then bring them to a dealer or shop? Does the work need to been done by a dealership or just anyone (I've seen conflicting answers)

Warrantee

I see A LOT of pople talk about going with mountune because of the warrantee. I'm really only considering cobb and mountune because they're both well known, widely used and documented, quality parts. I would go with Mountune due to the wide variety of parts and packages available, MT is is only focused on Ford products and quality seems to be great.

But the warrantee on a new FiST doesn't seem to be anything great. I'm not even sure what it is ....3 years or 100,000kms? Something like that
I'm assuming most people that could only afford a Fist int their budget don't have extra funds in case anything does go wrong, but for me the warantee would be up in two an a bit years anyways.
I even though a tune from Randy@mountune might even been better than the standard MP215 as Randy would be able to tell if there's anything up with my vehicle, gas quality etc, I see it as great value for a couple hundred bucks.

Downsides of the FiSt that concern me (but I think I can get around it)
-Its small...proably much smaller than my Maz3 but I think as long as I can through two hockey bags in the back (I don't mind driving with the rear seats down at all the way I should be fine)
-The exterior styling - not as aggressive as I would like but new wheels springs, IC, might change that.
-BUT these are small sacrifices for what is the type of affordable little pocket rocket that only comes around once every decade (The guys from Top Gear, The Smoking Tire, and Chris Harris can't be wrong!!!)

Anyways, this was probably way to many words for most and if mey questions and comments belong on other sections of the forum, my apologies. Cheers!

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Welcome very good analysis. If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask

Hey everyone! I'm from southern, Ontario (Canada).

Full disclosure: I currently drive a 2007 Mazda3 Hatchback GT 5 speed with the larger 2.3L
-I've got 225,000 kms on it, I've never had to do much driving for work/personal but I live in St. Catharines
and work in Hamiton so know I'm doing about 50,000 kms per year.
-The car has lost its magic for me. Still works great, I've put a lot of $$ into in for repairs in the last year but its till not at 10% and I need something more exciting since I spend so much time in the car on a daily basis, anywhere from 2 to 3 hours

Reason's I'm about to pull th trigger on a 2017 FiST:
1. Soon they're won't be any new ones left to buy! (since they've discontinued in Canada for 2018) if anyone knows of anything different please let me know!)
2. It has everything I'm looking for
-Hatchback
-Turbo motor
-6 speed
-Widely available aftermarket support
-Reliability
3. 1% financing available with long term amortizations are available which is great for cash flow

I'm a car guy (I spend 90% of my internet surfing time looking at cars and I've been looking into my next ride for quite long time)

Other cars I considered (and why I think I've made my mid up on a new FiST):

Focus RS - too expensive, harsh ride even in "comfort mode"

Focus ST - this would be a second choice to the GTI , they're the basically the same price, the GTI IMHO has better looks, weighs much less, can be tuned easier (just go to APRs website to check it out), but the base one is approx $30k CAD but the one you want is high $30s without favorable interest rates. And why is its 500 pounds heavier than the FiST??

VW GTI - This would be very very high on my list, but I love shifting and the GTI has HUGE gear ratios (130kms/hr in second gear?). Otherwise I'd probably go for it

VW Golf R - also high on my list (has the shorter gear ratios I would want compared to the GTI) but I've read that everything is very "light" and doesn't feel that much faster that the GTI, plus the GTI IMHO looks better. Looking for something more "raw"

WRX STI (hatchback) - all are going to be used, somewhat expensive with an unknown history, most have been modded and likely not to me taste, I could be taking over someone's half completed project car or "ticking timebomb"
-A little too "boy racer" for me and I've read the fuel economy isn't great either
-This is going to be my daily driver so I need something reliable and/or something with problems that are easy to diagnose

Hyundai i30 N - I would buy this car tomorrow IF it were available in Canada (if you haven't heard about it I suggest doing a youtube/google search!!)

Hyundai Veloster N - this IS coming to Canada from what I understand, but I'm really not a fan of the styling

Civic Type R - I'm sure its a wicked car but the styling is ridiculous (IMHO) but I think the BMWs produced in the late 90s are so of the best looking cars ever (e46 M3 for example)

and BMW hot hatchbacks are not available in Canada (such as the M140)

So, some questions for you guys:
Reliability:
Whats the reliability like ? I've been through the forums and haven't read anything specific. My opinion after reading virtually every article, every you tube video and FiSt forum thread is its a very reliable vehicle and not a lot of cabin rattles.
(for example, my mz3 is prone to rust wheel wells, stock shocks only last 150kms, top motor mount usually needs to be replaced within the first year, break dust etc)

Tuning (I will tune this care, and its my first time tuning anything)
I'm thinking I would go for the mountune MP215 kit for starters and then IC and custom tune from Randy@mountune, plus springs

-Exhaust portion I would probably research a ton before making a move - I'm the kind of guy who wants every thing without compromises when it comes to sound so I'd want the car to be virtually silent at highway speed and backing out of driveway and sound like a Formula 1 V10 when I'm having fun.

So my question is where can buy mountune packages and tuning in Niagara/Hamilton area? Who does installs? Do I have to buy parts and then bring them to a dealer or shop? Does the work need to been done by a dealership or just anyone (I've seen conflicting answers)

Warrantee

I see A LOT of pople talk about going with mountune because of the warrantee. I'm really only considering cobb and mountune because they're both well known, widely used and documented, quality parts. I would go with Mountune due to the wide variety of parts and packages available, MT is is only focused on Ford products and quality seems to be great.

But the warrantee on a new FiST doesn't seem to be anything great. I'm not even sure what it is ....3 years or 100,000kms? Something like that
I'm assuming most people that could only afford a Fist int their budget don't have extra funds in case anything does go wrong, but for me the warantee would be up in two an a bit years anyways.
I even though a tune from Randy@mountune might even been better than the standard MP215 as Randy would be able to tell if there's anything up with my vehicle, gas quality etc, I see it as great value for a couple hundred bucks.

Downsides of the FiSt that concern me (but I think I can get around it)
-Its small...proably much smaller than my Maz3 but I think as long as I can through two hockey bags in the back (I don't mind driving with the rear seats down at all the way I should be fine)
-The exterior styling - not as aggressive as I would like but new wheels springs, IC, might change that.
-BUT these are small sacrifices for what is the type of affordable little pocket rocket that only comes around once every decade (The guys from Top Gear, The Smoking Tire, and Chris Harris can't be wrong!!!)

Anyways, this was probably way to many words for most and if mey questions and comments belong on other sections of the forum, my apologies. Cheers!
Welcome, I’m at 42xxx km car has been great only issue I’ve had is transmission went at just over 40,000 took it in and had it back in under a week. Other then that have quite enjoyed it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C
Thread Starter #4
How come your transmission only lasted 40kms? That sounds pretty unusual....I would imagine a transmission should last at least 200,000 even with hard abuse.

I'm also not the type to launch or flat foot shift much of the time - just fun to do every once in a while

How come your transmission only lasted 40kms? That sounds pretty unusual....I would imagine a transmission should last at least 200,000 even with hard abuse.

I'm also not the type to launch or flat foot shift much of the time - just fun to do every once in a while
2nd gear went, and I wasn’t even hard on it. Just happened to have a bad one, sucked to say the least

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
love the user name!

welcome to the forum....there won't be many here that will think the FiST is a poor choice.
I've owned 2 already and that's next to a 2015 Ecoboost Mustang and 2017 RS and think the Fiesta is still my #1 choice although the big turbo eco stang is a close (very close) 2nd
[lovest]

Welcome, i'm from Ajax, east of TO.
Have a 17 FiST.
I had an 05 Mazda 3 sedan GT in the past and when it comes to power and handling it does not come close to the FiST. You won't be disappointed in that department.
Look for the ST's of Ontario FB group, i think there's a lot of members there in your area.
You would want to speak to The Canadian Guy if you want a review of the Mountune stuff. I believe he is running the MP215 kit.

Basically
the fist is an economical, most moddable,
highest versatile 1.6 turbo

Or
if you want go big turbo
You've got many options to go for

2018 will supposedly be available. They are in USA, no reason they will not be here and there's someone from Ontario who showed is order slip. They don't advertise them because they want to get rid of all the 2017's on their lot.

You could check with you local dealer or ask Ford Canada directly.

Where are you getting your 1% financing? I'm curious. Ford is currently offering a 3K$ rebate for clearing out all 2017 Fiesta models in Canada but the lowest financing they offer is 3.49% when checking on the website.

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
^^^ good point.

It’s worth noting that the 2018 will have a back-up camera. Also, later on down the line the 2018 might be the most sought after since it’s the last year built, and the newest.

Last edited:
OP
C
Thread Starter #16
Welcome, i'm from Ajax, east of TO.
Have a 17 FiST.
I had an 05 Mazda 3 sedan GT in the past and when it comes to power and handling it does not come close to the FiST. You won't be disappointed in that department.
Look for the ST's of Ontario FB group, i think there's a lot of members there in your area.
You would want to speak to The Canadian Guy if you want a review of the Mountune stuff. I believe he is running the MP215 kit.
Thanks for the info! Greatly appreciated! What were your other impressions moving from the mz3 to the Fist - maybe in terms of interior, cabin/cargo space? etc. THanks

OP
C
Thread Starter #17

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
I was at my local Ford dealership recently to get a price quote and find out the offer on my trade in. The quote did say 2018 but it wa realy a 2017 model.

I got the info from a bunch of internet sources:

Ford Authority:
http://fordauthority.com/2017/09/the-all-new-ford-fiesta-st-definitely-wont-come-to-north-america/

Driving.ca
http://driving.ca/ford/fiesta/auto-...18-ford-fiesta-st-not-coming-to-north-america
They’re still making a 2018 FiST- just not the Euro version.

OP
C
Thread Starter #19
2018 will supposedly be available. They are in USA, no reason they will not be here and there's someone from Ontario who showed is order slip. They don't advertise them because they want to get rid of all the 2017's on their lot.

You could check with you local dealer or ask Ford Canada directly.

Where are you getting your 1% financing? I'm curious. Ford is currently offering a 3K$ rebate for clearing out all 2017 Fiesta models in Canada but the lowest financing they offer is 3.49% when checking on the website.
I just re-checked the website and you're definitely right....i think the last time I was checking the interest rate on 84 months was 1%.

The "new offer" with 3k rebate and 3.99% is much much worse - by my calculations the monthly payment would increase in this scenario by $40 and cost of borrowing would actually be approx $3400 more than the 1% scenario. -

I *guess *its not a deal breaker since I would likely pay the loan off sooner (I'm assuming they're open loans) or make lump sum payment to principal every so often.

*my numbers are based on 84 amortization period - some might not agreed with such a long amortization but I would prefer my cash flow to go towards investments instead*