Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

It's about Time....Modern GDI OIL for Turbos

Got an oil change coming up [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Once GF-6 becomes the 'law' of the API/SAE/etc., ALL top spec oils will be made for TDI engine LSPI prevention. [wink]

(But it's cool that some manufacturers are not even waiting for that spec to arrive! [thumb])

KKaWing

I'd love to know the "how" for those claims. Should make for some interesting advertising / youtube clip.

Following. I can’t seem to find ANY information on this stuff. I don’t even see it listed on Valvoline’s sight. I’ll have to check Walmart tomorrow.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Looks like a fancy high tech bottle there. That alone merits testing this out. Definitely well worth paying three times the price even.

Take a drop of this new fangled marketing stuff, put it on a piece of iron.
Place another drop of the synthetic stuff under the standard marketing lingo.
Place iron in high-temp oven for a long time. Any difference? No? Gimmick.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The 'spec' when it comes online, will REQUIRE that these companies find another way to get an effective detergent/dispersant package which does NOT use a lot of calcium compounds, as has been the method in the past to get a high starting TBN (Total Base Number) to fight/neutralize acid formation, and fuel dilution.

So just by R&Ding, and employing other compounds to use (magnesium, manganese, boron, and possibly titanium compounds) in place of sky high amounts of calcium, (as well as maybe use better base stocks and viscosity index improvers/pour point depressants which do not volatilize as easily) they can help lessen LSPI events greatly.
This can be done right NOW if the oil companies want, no need to wait for the GF-6 spec to become a requirement, hence, as long as this is what they actually DID to their formulations, there is no 'marketing gimmickry' involved. ;)

Intuit

3000 Post Club
[MENTION=4438]M-Sport fan[/MENTION] - Perhaps they need to put at least a little bit of that science on the bottle for example, "<Ca = Reduced calcium content helps reduce build-up". I'd be far more inclined to believe that versus "helps reduce build-up". Some of us actually do read labels. Ads make all kinds of claims all day long and if I believed even ten percent of them....

Congrats on the court redistricting decision by the way. [woot] Unfortunately it was split right down tribe affiliation. [thumbdown]

This subject touches my area of work...

The ILSAC GF-6 standards will be split into two groups.
The spec GF-6A will be back serviceable to prior years .the second spec GF-6B will be directed to serve new viscosities below 0W20 grade. The 6B is probably going to be found primarily in Japanese brands first. We also wont likley see any 6B spec viscosity above 0W20 because these formulations will be shouldering the task of being the "super fuel economy" oils of modern times.
Some delays have occurred because several new testing regimes and ASTM standards have had to be developed concurrent with these new products. Im most excited about the stated improvement to reduce atomization. This should result in less oil in the pcv, and intake valve crud buildup.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
[MENTION=4438]M-Sport fan[/MENTION] - Perhaps they need to put at least a little bit of that science on the bottle for example, "<Ca = Reduced calcium content helps reduce build-up". I'd be far more inclined to believe that versus "helps reduce build-up". Some of us actually do read labels. Ads make all kinds of claims all day long and if I believed even ten percent of them....

Congrats on the court redistricting decision by the way. [woot] Unfortunately it was split right down tribe affiliation. [thumbdown]

Yes, I also wish that ALL oil companies (including the supposedly technically and performance oriented superior 'boutique' oils) put much more info on their labels, but most of the populace, including most DIYers, would only be confused by that info, and not understand it's implications anyway, no matter HOW simplistically, and in "laymans' terms" it was explained. [:(]
I will admit that once things are down into the chemical engineering molecular interaction level, I too am 'lost'.

Yes, I NEEDED that news today, and was still fired-up from our local (VERY well attended) anti-fascist rally yesterday.
It was that much more satisfying to me personally since I am directly involved with political groups who were pushing the ANTI-gerrymandering issue within the state. ;)
Maybe NOW we can finally vote these NAZI peckerwoods out of office, and turn this state BRIGHT BLUE once again!! [cheers] [twothumb]

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #17
Yes, I also wish that ALL oil companies (including the supposedly technically and performance oriented superior 'boutique' oils) put much more info on their labels, but most of the populace, including most DIYers, would only be confused by that info, and not understand it's implications anyway, no matter HOW simplistically, and in "laymans' terms" it was explained. [:(]
I will admit that once things are down into the chemical engineering molecular interaction level, I too am 'lost'.

Yes, I NEEDED that news today, and was still fired-up from our local (VERY well attended) anti-fascist rally yesterday.
It was that much more satisfying to me personally since I am directly involved with political groups who were pushing the ANTI-gerrymandering issue within the state. ;)
Maybe NOW we can finally vote these NAZI peckerwoods out of office, and turn this state BRIGHT BLUE once again!! [cheers] [twothumb]
Just remember that ....Those who can get you to believe absurdities....can get you to commit atrocities!

-Voltaire

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Just remember that ....Those who can get you to believe absurdities....can get you to commit atrocities!

-Voltaire

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
Yes, and THAT particular quote was MUCH MORE aimed at, AND applicable to as per history, rightwingnutter extremist ideologies/despots/and genocidal autocracies than it EVER was at the ones on the left (besides of course [gunfire] Stalin and the Khmer Rouge and such). [wink]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The ILSAC GF-6 standards will be split into two groups.
The spec GF-6A will be back serviceable to prior years .the second spec GF-6B will be directed to serve new viscosities below 0W20 grade. The 6B is probably going to be found primarily in Japanese brands first. We also wont likley see any 6B spec viscosity above 0W20 because these formulations will be shouldering the task of being the "super fuel economy" oils of modern times.
Some delays have occurred because several new testing regimes and ASTM standards have had to be developed concurrent with these new products. Im most excited about the stated improvement to reduce atomization. This should result in less oil in the pcv, and intake valve crud buildup.
Yes, I forgot about that 'split spec' feature, and YES it is going to be an EXTREME base stock/additive challenge to get the proposed GF-6B 'fuel saving' 0W-5/7 and 0W-10 weight oils to meet those specs and not be excessively volatile, and carbon deposit forming in DI engine scenarios (besides all of the oil film boundary challenges!).

The GF-6A will be the one which meets/exceeds the various Dexos/Honda/etc. LSPI reducing needs/specs for the 0/5W-20/30/etc. viscosities, correct?

This valve deposit issue with GDI engines triggered industry wide engineering efforts. That this problem occurred was an indication that changes to both the process and materials had to be made.