Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Toyo Extensa HP II

Has anyone had any experience with these? Found them on the Firestone website as i was pricing some tire options. They will fit our factory wheel. It's kind of comical though - I clicked around online for about 30 minutes and couldn't find a single first hand review of these! I understand they are a newer tire from Toyo - looks like release was October 2017. I'm a believer you genrrally get what you pay for. So I'm fully expecting them to be totally average across the board. But coming from a reputable brand, I may spring for these as the price is right. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Zissou

Must be the new version of the regular Extensa. I've had my eye on a set of them on Amazon for $72; seems like your find is the new model and cheaper - win win.
I'll be looking into them as a winter set for the OEM wheels.

https://www.amazon.com/Toyo-Extensa-Performance-Radial-Tire/dp/B003SD3TWM

edit - did a little digging and they are indeed the new version. According to their claim they stop 31' shorter than the predecessor so that's nice.

Last edited:
OP
zucky22389
Thread Starter #3
Must be the new version of the regular Extensa. I've had my eye on a set of them on Amazon for $72; seems like your find is the new model and cheaper - win win.
I'll be looking into them as a winter set for the OEM wheels.

https://www.amazon.com/Toyo-Extensa-Performance-Radial-Tire/dp/B003SD3TWM

edit - did a little digging and they are indeed the new version. According to their claim they stop 31' shorter than the predecessor so that's nice.
As I was digging I also saw better light snow traction on the HP IIs. Reviews of the HP I show a pretty soft sidewall which may effectively dull the sharp turn-in and overall responsiveness of the car. Not sure about HP IIs though. Overall doesn't look like a bad AS option with a more comfortable and quiet ride over grip. Was really hoping someone here has had them on their fiesta!

Zissou

As I was digging I also saw better light snow traction on the HP IIs. Reviews of the HP I show a pretty soft sidewall which may effectively dull the sharp turn-in and overall responsiveness of the car. Not sure about HP IIs though. Overall doesn't look like a bad AS option with a more comfortable and quiet ride over grip. Was really hoping someone here has had them on their fiesta!

If I can find them for $63 per tire like the OP I'll be getting them. Assuming I keep this car, I'll have another set of wheels for summer so I'm in it for cold weather use & light snow traction.
OP - where'd you find that price?

My local tire shop preferred by Toyo has them for $80 per tire, before any taxes or installation.

I work in development at Toyo NA in White, GA. I wasn't a part of the HP2 development but I can tell you the engineers in my office were very satisfied with the results of this tire in our testing facility. This HP2 is a much better performing tire than the original according to them. My opinion on the original HP is that you do sort of get what you pay for. A decent performing all season high performance tire with a rather soft sidewall that hinders cornering performance a little but helps with ride quality. I have ran the HP on other vehicles that I've had like Civic hatchbacks and they were fine for daily driver tires on a vehicle that isn't as performance oriented as the my ST. I think these HP2's would make a great set of tires for the ST if you have another set of wheels and tires that are performance/summer oriented or if you're just on a tighter budget. I might be putting a set of these on the wife's Genesis sedan when the time comes.

BTW, I'm not here to advertise or promote. I was just browsing the forum and saw this so I figured I would share what little info I have on this tire. Just bought my 2017 white platinum ST last month.

OP
zucky22389
Thread Starter #6
If I can find them for $63 per tire like the OP I'll be getting them. Assuming I keep this car, I'll have another set of wheels for summer so I'm in it for cold weather use & light snow traction.
OP - where'd you find that price?

My local tire shop preferred by Toyo has them for $80 per tire, before any taxes or installation.
I stumbled across them on Firestones website yesterday. Here's a link:

https://www.firestonecompleteautocare.com/tires/search-results/

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I work in development at Toyo NA in White, GA. I wasn't a part of the HP2 development but I can tell you the engineers in my office were very satisfied with the results of this tire in our testing facility. This HP2 is a much better performing tire than the original according to them. My opinion on the original HP is that you do sort of get what you pay for. A decent performing all season high performance tire with a rather soft sidewall that hinders cornering performance a little but helps with ride quality. I have ran the HP on other vehicles that I've had like Civic hatchbacks and they were fine for daily driver tires on a vehicle that isn't as performance oriented as the my ST. I think these HP2's would make a great set of tires for the ST if you have another set of wheels and tires that are performance/summer oriented or if you're just on a tighter budget. I might be putting a set of these on the wife's Genesis sedan when the time comes.

BTW, I'm not here to advertise or promote. I was just browsing the forum and saw this so I figured I would share what little info I have on this tire. Just bought my 2017 white platinum ST last month.
What do those same said engineers claim about it's light snow traction/capabilities, both compared to the HP1s AND the other HP all seasons out on the market, i.e.; PS AS/3+s, the various Generals, Coopers, and Contis, etc.??

I'm not in the office right now, but I'll try to let you know tomorrow. Snow traction isn't something we test at the GA plant. I know which engineer led this development project and I will ask her tomorrow about the snow performance results and possible comparisons for you though.

OP
zucky22389
Thread Starter #9
I'm not in the office right now, but I'll try to let you know tomorrow. Snow traction isn't something we test at the GA plant. I know which engineer led this development project and I will ask her tomorrow about the snow performance results and possible comparisons for you though.
[MENTION=9295]Driver[/MENTION] - Thanks for all your feedback. It definitely helps! I'm currently on factory Michelin A/S 3's and need to make a decision of what to do next for rubber - If these HP II's are even close to the A/S 3's in terms of dry/wet grip, I'll spring for them very soon. Being half the price of the Michelin's lead me to believe I'm probably dreaming though. [sleeping] If you have any thoughts or comparisons on that, I'm all ears. Again, thanks for all your help!

I had a discussion with the engineers involved in the Extensa HP revision today. They all agreed that the HP2 will compete with more expensive tires in it's class, unlike the original HP. I was told that nearly every aspect of this tire was improved, especially the wet performance. Tread wear and high speed performance were also improved, with noise being the only exception. Road noise did not get worse but it wasn't any better than the original HP. I haven't personally tried the HP2, but I had the original HP on other cars and I currently have the Michelin's on my ST. I can say that I would not put the original HP on my ST (or my 91 Miata...it has Hankook RS4's on it). I do feel like the all season Michelin's are a good all season tire....but if the HP2 is the bargain that I think it will be and I was needing an all season high performance tire, the deal would be hard for me to pass on the HP2. I don't think the difference in performance between the Michelin and the HP2 would be worth double the price. This is only my opinion and if anyone tries the HP2's I'd love to hear their opinion good or bad.

OP
zucky22389
Thread Starter #11
[MENTION=9295]Driver[/MENTION] - Thanks for following up as this is great information! If I decide to spring for the HP II's soon, I'll surely follow up and let you all know what I think. Cheers!

Zissou

At that $63 per tire on the firestone site it ends up being $374 installed... they ream you on installation.

Local Ford dealership said $20 per tire to mount with TPMS, but they have flat out lied to me on most of my trips there.

"Yes this will be covered by warranty." Next week "uh yeah so that warranty didn't go through that'll be $270"
I hate Malloy Ford of Charlottesville with a burning passion.

OP
zucky22389
Thread Starter #13
@ Zissou - Yes, indeed. They get ya with install/disposal/environmentally friendly fees/we keep Pepsi in the waiting room fees, etc. I noticed that when I quoted the HP II's last week as I was clicking around on their site. $120+ for install seemed a bit of a stretch. I was hoping that install cost came with some extra fluff that I could negotiate the cost down a little more. Again, haven't decided to pull the trigger yet but if I do, I'll surely add my experiences!

Edit: My online OTD quote was $401.42. My local taxes may have caused our price discrepancy but still... Just silly amounts of install dollar$!!

Edit 2: I don't want to turn this into a WtfFirestone thread, but I just called my local Firestone and they don't have the HP IIs in stock (totally understandable) so they said they will have to charge me for shipping. At the end I was quoted over $440 for them installed on my car. That $250 turns into $446 real quick! Think I'll keep shopping.

Last edited: