Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Love Induction Noise? Forget the Boomba BOV

Bluedrank

So my first reply was mostly poking fun at the post because it sounded like a marketing pitch by Injen. But you seem to think we're somehow complimenting you.

Let's be honest here, at best the stuff you wrote is bro-science. Intake does very little, and a short ram intake is in almost all circumstances making things worse unless you only drive in very northern climates during the winter and for short distances. Otherwise you're getting hotter air, even if you get an intercooler.

You want an intake to maybe do something over the stock setup? Your options are the st200 or mountune airbox, the maxogen intake, or the 2jr intake, or a velossa big mouth snorkel.

I get this is the internet and everyone is entitled to their wrong opinion. But don't be surprised if everyone else disagrees with you, even if you think you typed it up well.

I like others who posted (assuming here) were mostly poking fun because of the way it came off. When you spend a hefty bit of time in car forums, or fb groups like FiST of Fury, you have to seriously question sometimes if people are pitching you or trolling.

By saying it was all over the place, I was not getting into the layout (organizationally, it was great and not a giant run on sentence that you have to follow with your finger so you don't get lost, so thank you for that)... there is just soo much going on when the TL;DR version breaks down to: SRI is affordable and provides a solid amount of turbo suction noise.

Turbo induction sound (created by intakes, charge pipes or opening up the airflow in general) is a far different noise then the audible psshh, or chirps or the flutters of a BOV that only makes noise briefly on pedal lift (the boomba spacer is a whole different mess of a situation). I get that some people want all the noises, all of them, but they are definitely 2 completely different sounds. A BOV offers absolutely no induction sound so I'm not sure why they're even being compared to an intake if SUCTION sound is the goal.

Opinion based comparison to why induction is better than exhaust noise, that's fair. But again if the end goal is induction noise, the other modifications listed in relation to that aspect are relevant. I think a comparison of a SRI to other intakes, charge pipes, induction hoses, crossover pipes, etc. would have easily made sense for the best bang for buck (with some performance gain... arbitrary or not) would make more sense.

OP
SirThomas88
Thread Starter #23
I like others who posted (assuming here) were mostly poking fun because of the way it came off. When you spend a hefty bit of time in car forums, or fb groups like FiST of Fury, you have to seriously question sometimes if people are pitching you or trolling.
Truth. I guess I should have expected that.

By saying it was all over the place, I was not getting into the layout (organizationally, it was great and not a giant run on sentence that you have to follow with your finger so you don't get lost, so thank you for that)... there is just soo much going on when the TL;DR version breaks down to: SRI is affordable and provides a solid amount of turbo suction noise.

Turbo induction sound (created by intakes, charge pipes or opening up the airflow in general) is a far different noise then the audible psshh, or chirps or the flutters of a BOV that only makes noise briefly on pedal lift (the boomba spacer is a whole different mess of a situation). I get that some people want all the noises, all of them, but they are definitely 2 completely different sounds. A BOV offers absolutely no induction sound so I'm not sure why they're even being compared to an intake if SUCTION sound is the goal.

Opinion based comparison to why induction is better than exhaust noise, that's fair. But again if the end goal is induction noise, the other modifications listed in relation to that aspect are relevant. I think a comparison of a SRI to other intakes, charge pipes, induction hoses, crossover pipes, etc. would have easily made sense for the best bang for buck (with some performance gain... arbitrary or not) would make more sense.
I guess what I was getting down to is it seems people mostly get a Boomba BOV for the sound without realizing that they're only getting the blow off sound but they're missing out on the other wonderful sounds the engine makes.

But if you're saying that the Vent-to-air BOV sound may actually provide sounds that an SRI doesn't, or be better or preferable for some drivers to the sound an SRI makes, or at least preferable to the negatives of an SRI I'll have to take your word for it and I guess thats just personal preference. Thats fair and I can't argue against that since I've only heard the Boomba BOV on videos online and what people who eventually take them back off have to say.

A7xogg

Full metal intakes with an open filter make alot of induction noise, spool noise, dv opening noise, dv flutter at vacuum with the turbo somewhat spinning. It does add a new experience to the car without going wot everywhere or hitting even 10 psi or so. Now metal does absorb heat more than plastic so if you spend alot of time in traffic or just idling, yeah ur iat is gonna be higher than a stock air box. A dv or bov only changes the noise at blow off or recirculation, which is fun, but will only benefit if stock one has failed or you are past it's limit of sealing. The big mouth is popular because it address one of the issues with the stock box, the inlet is too small for the amount of air the motor can flow under boost(the other being the shape and actual filter). The intake and dv are different parts with different functions and they create different noises but also work together. If I had to pick one, full intake every time. I could get into the intake choices in alot more detail but I'm not. Everyone with a stock air box is really cheating themselves on all those turbo noises that the stock box doesn't produce.

OP
SirThomas88
Thread Starter #25
Intake does very little, and a short ram intake is in almost all circumstances making things worse unless you only drive in very northern climates during the winter and for short distances. Otherwise you're getting hotter air, even if you get an intercooler.
From what I read on another thread (I'd like to find it again) a forum member compared their ambient, intake air, and charge air temp readings with stock intake and intercooler and then again with injen intake and aftermarket intercooler and found that while driving and under load, the intercooler did a perfectly fine job bringing the Injen SRI intake air temps down to ambient air temp levels as with the stock intake, completely negating the hot air of the engine bay. Was it scientific data? No, it was limited conditions as well. but it was done in relatively hot weather (80-90 degrees iirc) and that is not "very northern climates during the winter". I'd like to find the thread again and get more data, maybe this summer I'll do my own testing and data gathering.

You want an intake to maybe do something over the stock setup? Your options are the st200 or mountune airbox, the maxogen intake, or the 2jr intake, or a velossa big mouth snorkel.
I wonder how each of those compare in terms of sound output and cost. If it's true that the Injen + Intercooler brings charge-air temps to ambient levels, then I'm not sure any reason why any of those others would perform better.

Let's be honest here, at best the stuff you wrote is bro-science...
...So my first reply was mostly poking fun at the post because it sounded like a marketing pitch by Injen. But you seem to think we're somehow complimenting you...
...I get this is the internet and everyone is entitled to their wrong opinion. But don't be surprised if everyone else disagrees with you, even if you think you typed it up well...
Pretty sure me saying "I noticed snappier throttle response and some power gain that might only be an illusion due to the throttle response" and "theres some debate on this" is pretty clear that i'm using my subjective experience and is not anywhere close to an attempt at passing it off as a scientific result. I already acknowledged that. I did say I wasn't sure if I should be offended, amused or take it as a compliment that people were saying that I was working for Injen, and I didn't want to take it too seriously, but thanks for clarifying that I should just be offended. Not sure why you think I'm offended if people disagree with my opinions. Saying my post sounds like a marketing post is not disagreeing with my opinion first of all, and disagreeing with whether an SRI or other intake is better for overall sound benefit is something different entirely. I have absolutely no problems with that. After all, thats the point of my post and I was looking forward to hearing peoples thoughts on the points mentioned. I don't look forward to your mildly offensive put-downs which are neither accurate nor advances the topic of the post.

Truth. I guess I should have expected that.

I guess what I was getting down to is it seems people mostly get a Boomba BOV for the sound without realizing that they're only getting the blow off sound but they're missing out on the other wonderful sounds the engine makes.

But if you're saying that the Vent-to-air BOV sound may actually provide sounds that an SRI doesn't, or be better or preferable for some drivers to the sound an SRI makes, or at least preferable to the negatives of an SRI I'll have to take your word for it and I guess thats just personal preference. Thats fair and I can't argue against that since I've only heard the Boomba BOV on videos online and what people who eventually take them back off have to say.
Yea if the only thing you've had exposure to is the Boomba BOV Spacer, then yea that thing is rubbish in my opinion and a huge waste of money. It actually is prone to its own type of failure in making the valve stick open which in essence makes the oem BPV worse. However, some people like that it and like that it's obnoxiously loud.

I run Mishimoto Charge pipes, ramair induction hose and panel filter (adding crossover pipe) and an ST200 box that was upgraded to a 3" hose. It makes some decent induction noise, but I'd be ok if it was quieter too. Again, just my opinion because to me the induction noise gets annoying after awhile.

As for VTA BOV's, look up sound videos on some like HKS SSQV, Greddy Type S, Blitz Dual Drive, Turbosmart Kompacts or RFL, Tial even some old school stuff like Prof Sheepdog or hybrids like Synapse. They all make different sounds and level of noise and most are adjustable. If you want to have fun with it... google Duck call BOV where people have taped a duck call to their after market units so it vocalizes that when boost pressure is relieved.

Your original post both says its money better spent on an SRI, then says the SRI needs a 5-700 dollar bandaid to fix the heat issue? no thanks!

OP
SirThomas88
Thread Starter #28
I run Mishimoto Charge pipes, ramair induction hose and panel filter (adding crossover pipe) and an ST200 box that was upgraded to a 3" hose. It makes some decent induction noise, but I'd be ok if it was quieter too. Again, just my opinion because to me the induction noise gets annoying after awhile.

As for VTA BOV's, look up sound videos on some like HKS SSQV, Greddy Type S, Blitz Dual Drive, Turbosmart Kompacts or RFL, Tial even some old school stuff like Prof Sheepdog or hybrids like Synapse. They all make different sounds and level of noise and most are adjustable. If you want to have fun with it... google Duck call BOV where people have taped a duck call to their after market units so it vocalizes that when boost pressure is relieved.
Sounds like you've got a nice setup there. I haven't really looked into the ST200 intakes yet. I should get on that. Yeah I've seen vids of those duck calls haha.

Your original post both says its money better spent on an SRI, then says the SRI needs a 5-700 dollar bandaid to fix the heat issue? no thanks!
I got my Airtek intercooler for $400, but yeah if you aren't already looking to get an intercooler then it does price it above another intake option. That was an essential reason why it made sense for me. The stock intercooler is insufficient and experiences heat soak even on the stock tune but with any sort of tune the intercooler is usually the first drivetrain part most worth to replace.

In my case, since I knew I would need an intercooler for my Cobb Stage 2 tune and eventual E30 tune, it wasn't a factor that raised the cost of my Injen intake. And still as my post describes, by my calculation that makes the Injen (or similar SRI) still the best overall bang for the buck in terms of joy of driving and performance. Only unfortunate aspect was that I have a 2016 model FiST and had to get the Woosh Motorsports adapter for it.

OP
SirThomas88
Thread Starter #29
Full metal intakes with an open filter make alot of induction noise, spool noise, dv opening noise, dv flutter at vacuum with the turbo somewhat spinning. It does add a new experience to the car without going wot everywhere or hitting even 10 psi or so. Now metal does absorb heat more than plastic so if you spend alot of time in traffic or just idling, yeah ur iat is gonna be higher than a stock air box. A dv or bov only changes the noise at blow off or recirculation, which is fun, but will only benefit if stock one has failed or you are past it's limit of sealing. The big mouth is popular because it address one of the issues with the stock box, the inlet is too small for the amount of air the motor can flow under boost(the other being the shape and actual filter). The intake and dv are different parts with different functions and they create different noises but also work together. If I had to pick one, full intake every time. I could get into the intake choices in alot more detail but I'm not. Everyone with a stock air box is really cheating themselves on all those turbo noises that the stock box doesn't produce.
All very good observations. I'd prefer a full intake too of course. If budget wasn't a major motivating factor, I would probably have chosen the Mishimoto intake. Though if I was going that route, I definitely would have taken another look at all the cold air systems out there before making my decision.

Everyone on a stock air box really is missing out, man! I used to have a supercharged car, that thing sounded beautiful, but these turbo noises with an open box are just magic.

A7xogg

I'm only "missing out" IF I care about, or even want any induction noise at all (which I do not).

In fact, since I equate loud induction noise, BOV chirps and PSSSSHHHHH sounds with ricetards who put those LOUD electronic fake BOV sound makers on their NA PsOS (just as much as I equate them with weed wacker fart cannon exhausts with melon launcher tips!), I personally try to avoid those sounds like the plague, and am GLAD that my car (even with the GFB DV installed) is dead quiet there, as well as no noticeable boost/spool noises.

Yes, there are some deeper toned exhaust noises from the CP-E system, but it is NOT 'farty' at all, since I still have the factory down pipe and kept the system's resonator, which also keeps it from being ear-splitting loud.

I don't even want anyone to know that this thing has a hairdryer on it if they don't already know.
I don't 'get off' on spool noises/whistles/whines, so again. I'm GLAD that I cannot hear them.

In fact, even if I had a very high powered, exorbitantly priced, even modded to the gills boosted ride, if I could make it sound NA, with just exhaust noises prevalent, without actually hurting performance of course, I would.

Since we're offering opinions only on here. [wink]
Man sounds like you really hate any turbo noise at all, should have gotten a na fiesta( I kid kid it's a joke). All the noises from our open air boxes are noises the engine and turbo make naturally that get Hidden from the public because companies make cars to be as less nvh as possible. I get that you like your car quiet and I like to hear my turbo when I want to but I would not compare people who wlout fake noise makers on their car with people who just want to hear what noise the engine makes.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yeah, I realized how bad that post sounded once I read it through after I posted it, so I deleted it, but you caught it just before I could. [:(]

Yeah, must have some really shitty/ricer turbo builds in ur area of pa huh
Haha, we have more then our fair share here too!

I did all of these things loud parts of various nature at some point in my life, I just prefer a little quieter ride myself now a days for my daily. I have this Mongoose exhaust to install and part of me is scared itā€™s gonna be too loud for my daily tastes.

To each their own, but I still think the Boomba spacer is trash... not like product quality (Boomba makes great stuff) but the overall function.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yeah, must have some really shitty/ricer turbo builds in ur area of pa huh
Less around here (it's all rolling status symbol, NOT bought for their performance potential/use reasons, high zoot, richie-richmobiles around here) than where I used to live in north central Joyzee (Union County area), and any time I went to either the Englishtown Raceway Park, or Atco drag strips with my last car for time trial passes.

A7xogg

Less around here (it's all rolling status symbol, NOT bought for their performance potential/use reasons, high zoot, richie-richmobiles around here) than where I used to live in north central Joyzee (Union County area), and any time I went to either the Englishtown Raceway Park, or Atco drag strips with my last car for time trial passes.
Every time i would travel to jersey( i went to school in sussex county) someone would try to race me so i get it kind of

5. Dignity: Blow Off Valves don't do anything for your performance. Aftermarket intakes however do. BOV's just simply aren't interesting from a performance standpoint and anyone who knows that is going to look at it as just a cheap way of showing off rather than improving your car. With a SRI, you can still be a show-off without coming across as simply trying to be cool.
Some grade A rice-shaming right here (except said in a very nice way). I support this.

I don't really think the statement of bov are only for sound, is an accurate statement. Every aftermarket BOV serves a greater purpose than just for sound.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I don't really think the statement of bov are only for sound, is an accurate statement. Every aftermarket BOV serves a greater purpose than just for sound.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Maybe there's something I don't know. But based on what I know, on a stock turbo set-up I can't imagine any situation where a blow-off valve would be preferred to an upgraded DV besides the desire for more noise.

In fact, depending on how the ECU calculates fueling, using a BOV vs a DV on a car that is tuned for a DV could cause the car to run rich every time it blows off (as now you're dumping all the air the computer calculated fuel for), which hurts performance.

If there's something I'm missing, I'd be interested in learning!