Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Love Induction Noise? Forget the Boomba BOV

There is a difference with vent to atmosphere and recirculated, this is correct.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Yes, BOV refers to vent-to-atmosphere and DV (diverter or bypass" is recirc

I presume your reading into the name of a blow off valve too much. BOV are meant to be recirculated. In the car world, most people will vent it to atmosphere, majority of BOV are meant to be recirculated. Check out the DSM world and Mazda community, many people have a recirculated BOV.

I'm fairly certain that the term blowoff valve (BOV) explicitly refers to vent to atmosphere. Anyone using the term BOV when referencing a recirc valve is not correct.

And most manufacturers do not vent to atmosphere as with most applications (nearly all except certain motorsports) recirculation is better for reasons stated in my earlier post.

Don't take my word for it, check it out yourself:
Under the characteristics and operation section.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowoff_valve

Edit: another source: https://www.eurosporttuning.com/blog/diverter-vs-blow-off-valve/

The wiki page reiterates what I typed. Not here to argue just cleaning up the floor from a blanket statement.

OP
SirThomas88
Thread Starter #47
I do consider the BOV to be a vent-to-atmosphere unit when I used that term. Either way, my criticism in my post is strictly related to that type, such as the Boomba BOV, which offers primarily a sound-effect, and not to a recirculating valve which may offer other benefits. Since my post is mainly targeted in relation to getting a good induction noise, it wouldn't be relevant to discuss recirculating valves which probably wouldn't change the intake noise.

OP
SirThomas88
Thread Starter #49
How is this retarded thread still going on?
A lot of people are mistakenly going for the Boomba BOV to try to improve the sound of the Fiesta, a short ram intake has much more effective result for those doing a modest stock turbo build, in my opinion and for the reasons I laid out. Comparing what intake mods are most effective for improving intake sound and overall build quality/cost is not retarded.

Pointlessly trolling someone's thread is indeed retarded though. Besides you're just bumping it up again anyways.

Bluedrank

A lot of people are mistakenly going for the Boomba BOV to try to improve the sound of the Fiesta, a short ram intake has much more effective result for those doing a modest stock turbo build, in my opinion and for the reasons I laid out. Comparing what intake mods are most effective for improving intake sound and overall build quality/cost is not retarded.

Wasting time trolling someone's thread is indeed retarded though. Besides you're just bumping it up again anyways.
I actually like the Boomba Vent to Atmosphere BOV. Sure it's not comparable to my old SRT-4's HKS SSQ, but it's an easy install and doesn't bother me at all. As I and everyone else laid out earlier in the thread, a short ram intake is a stupid choice if you're trying to convince people that your choice is performance based. Considering the numerous better options we have available compared to a short ram, it's definitely not the best choice out there. It's your right to disagree, but no matter how many times you write it out you're not going to convince many people.

OP
SirThomas88
Thread Starter #51
I actually like the Boomba Vent to Atmosphere BOV. Sure it's not comparable to my old SRT-4's HKS SSQ, but it's an easy install and doesn't bother me at all. As I and everyone else laid out earlier in the thread, a short ram intake is a stupid choice if you're trying to convince people that your choice is performance based. Considering the numerous better options we have available compared to a short ram, it's definitely not the best choice out there. It's your right to disagree, but no matter how many times you write it out you're not going to convince many people.
If adding an efficient aftermarket intercooler effectively brings the air temps down to ambient level as others have found, how are the other options "definitely better" when taking into consideration price, performance, and intake sound improvement?

It's not a competition on how many people I convince, it's about laying out various perspectives for people to consider which might be overlooked otherwise. You're welcome to point out your reasoning for choosing one over the other, but not welcome to be a troll.

felopr

i dont know what the Op agenda is on this thread, maybe he had bad experiece with the boomba but all his point are so wrong picking on a part
Since he is talking on a budget of $100, i think he is talking about the BOV adapter, not to be confuse with the more expensive mechanical BOV ($200ish part)

First: The real point for a boomba bov adapter is for people that want that "pshhh" sound that a real vent to atmosphere BOV produces (example: turbosmart vee port) without expending a lot of money (again, comparing to a bov kit, for example the whoosh kit https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...2017-s-port-blow-off-valve-kit-no-tune-needed) that is all this part does, end of story

So, if you only want the "pshh" sound and dont want to spend alot of money, What would go with? a $65 bov adapter or $255 for a real BOV +$ for the cel defender if you dont have a tune? or even a SRI or even i think the choice is obvious

Second: how is a induction sound altered with a BOV? the BOV is shut while you are on the accelerator

this thread sounds more like a campain to talk bad about a company than an opinion

OP
SirThomas88
Thread Starter #53
i dont know what the Op agenda is on this thread, maybe he had bad experiece with the boomba but all his point are so wrong picking on a part
Since he is talking on a budget of $100, i think he is talking about the BOV adapter, not to be confuse with the more expensive mechanical BOV ($200ish part)

First: The real point for a boomba bov adapter is for people that want that "pshhh" sound that a real vent to atmosphere BOV produces (example: turbosmart vee port) without expending a lot of money (again, comparing to a bov kit, for example the whoosh kit https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...2017-s-port-blow-off-valve-kit-no-tune-needed) that is all this part does, end of story

So, if you only want the "pshh" sound and dont want to spend alot of money, What would go with? a $65 bov adapter or $255 for a real BOV +$ for the cel defender if you dont have a tune? or even a SRI or even i think the choice is obvious

Second: how is a induction sound altered with a BOV? the BOV is shut while you are on the accelerator

this thread sounds more like a campain to talk bad about a company than an opinion
I am referring to the Boomba BOV Adapter. I definitely should have been much more clear on that and that's my bad... With that said, I've literally not said anything that talks bad about Boomba or their products, but rather I'm addressing the choice of mods whether to go with a BOV Adapter or another option. What brand makes no difference. I only use Boomba as an example because their BOV Adapter is very popular. Saying a BOV adapter isn't the best choice is far from "talking bad" about any company, but if not being clear I was talking about a BOV Adapter makes it sound like I'm trying to talk bad about Boomba that then I hope it's clear now because thats definitely not my intention.

A SRI will be more expensive, thats true, but the point I'm laying out is that the SRI won't be much more cost and will get a more rewarding result, and yes I believe also some minor performance gain perhaps if the user's plan is to go with an aftermarket intercooler which is practically a necessity anyways.

Some people will prefer the sound of a vent-to-atmosphere BOV Adapter I'm sure, but my opinion is that it's not a better sound. Others intend that to literally be their only mod, thats fine too. My post isn't geared for those who are planning to stay stock.

OP
SirThomas88
Thread Starter #54
I just edited my original post to clarify that I am referring to the BOV Adapter specifically. That was a big mistake I wasn't more clear on that and should have mentioned it in the title as well. Oops!

I also should have been more clear that it's ANY BOV ADAPTER which I'm comparing to, not specifically Boomba's.

felopr

I am referring to the Boomba BOV Adapter. I definitely should have been much more clear on that. With that said, I'm not addressing anything in regards to the company, but rather the choice of the consumer whether to go with a BOV Adapter or another option. Saying a BOV adapter isn't the best choice is far from "talking bad" about any company, but if not being clear I was talking about a BOV Adapter makes it sound like that then I hope it's clear now.

A SRI will be more expensive, thats true, but the point I'm laying out is that the SRI won't be much more cost and will get a more rewarding result, and yes I believe also some minor performance gain perhaps if the user's plan is to go with an aftermarket intercooler which is practically a necessity anyways.

Some people will prefer a BOV or intend that to literally be their only mod, thats fine too. My post isn't geared for those people in mind.
I undestand all you said about the SRI and all but like i said on my post, we are talking about 2 items that do 2 things diferently
first:
The BOV adapter (boomba, forge, etc) is a mod for people that want a loud BOV "pshhhh" sound without expending alot of money or investing money on a real BOV, plain and simple. Is not a performance mod and it will never be a performance mod. Even a real BOV is not a perfomance mod. It has his audience and for the 1 job it does (doing loud whoosh sound) it does it well.
Now, the SRI is a real perfomance mod, is a full intake, atleast the injen is, or you can go with a MAP one(true SRI imo, by definition) it can net you gain, that is true

But this is not the point, at-least for me, the point for me is how can you compare this 2 items that do different things?
If one as me "hey, how can i make my fiesta st have a load BOV for cheap? i will point to a BOV adapter
now if someone ask me "Hey, i want a intake and i have $200 and i want it new, what should i buy"? SRI? go with a MAP. LEaving stock box? go with a ramair crossover pipe, induction hose and a ramair panel filter. Other than that, go used

See my point?

OP
SirThomas88
Thread Starter #56
I undestand all you said about the SRI and all but like i said on my post, we are talking about 2 items that do 2 things diferently
first:
The BOV adapter (boomba, forge, etc) is a mod for people that want a loud BOV "pshhhh" sound without expending alot of money or investing money on a real BOV, plain and simple. Is not a performance mod and it will never be a performance mod. Even a real BOV is not a perfomance mod. It has his audience and for the 1 job it does (doing loud whoosh sound) it does it well.
Now, the SRI is a real perfomance mod, is a full intake, atleast the injen is, or you can go with a MAP one(true SRI imo, by definition) it can net you gain, that is true

But this is not the point, at-least for me, the point for me is how can you compare this 2 items that do different things?
If one as me "hey, how can i make my fiesta st have a load BOV for cheap? i will point to a BOV adapter
now if someone ask me "Hey, i want a intake and i have $200 and i want it new, what should i buy"? SRI? go with a MAP. LEaving stock box? go with a ramair crossover pipe, induction hose and a ramair panel filter. Other than that, go used

See my point?
Well I think I do understand your points, and they are reasonable for sure.

Except that in my view the SRI and BOV Adapter definitely don't do two completely different things. The BOV Adapter goal is to produce an improvement in BOV sound. The SRI also does this quite well and better in my opinion which is what I'm arguing for.

Some just simply say "the louder pssshh the better" have a sub $100 budget for mods, or don't want any other mods, and those people are most certainly better off with a BOV Adapter. Thats not me, and I also think thats not a lot of people but they often don't figure it out until after they've purchased a BOV Adapter and tried living with it for awhile.

The SRI seems to meet a nice trifecta, better sound than a BOV Adapter, low cost, and some performance gain (when paired with an IC). Which is basically my main point of my original post however trivial of a topic it may seem or apparently misunderstood. That point being it's probably not more effective or beneficial for most people's goals to go with either the less expensive BOV Adapter option or a more expensive intake option.