Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Love Induction Noise? Forget the Boomba BOV

**Edit** I'm referring to a BOV ADAPTER when comparing that option to the benefits of a SRI and brand makes no difference in my points mentioned below. **Edit**

Disclaimer To start off, let me say I've never owned or installed an aftermarket Blow Off Valve on my Fiesta. However, I do have installed an Injen Short Ram intake, and feel I know enough about BOV's, read enough reviews, and watched enough videos to say confidently that if you want to spend your money the right way, a vent-to-air BOV is not the best direction to take your car unless your mod budget is strictly under $100.

Induction Noise = Winning Induction noise trumps exhaust noise any day. Regardless of whether you've got a naturally aspirated v6, or a turbocharger or supercharger, increasing induction noise has got to be the sweetest sound a car can make, and each of those variants offers a different and complex sound.

Exhaust noise = bleehhh Now don't get me wrong, the right exhaust can be wonderful. But often, loud(er) aftermarket exhaust sounds are overrated and can also be very tricky to get quite right. You have to worry about highway drone, pissing off your neighbors (and wifey?), and overall trying to find the right exhaust that meets your budget while giving that tone that best matches what YOUR ears want to hear. On the other hand, increasing induction noise is easy to control since when the throttle is closed or mostly closed, you won't notice much difference until you open that throttle up wide, and the options are usually more affordable and easier to get right.

Since aftermarket exhausts have a bad stigma about them due to the many obnoxious tasteless cars out on the road, are generally expensive to buy, because the gains are relatively modest on our stock turbo, and since the Fiesta ST exhaust has a decently nice tone and performance as-is for a stock setup, it's not worth it to me to replace it for my build. I'd rather spend that money elsewhere.

Aftermarket BOV's With that said, most people turn to an aftermarket vent-to-air Blow Off Valve such as the Boomba BOV to get more induction sound. It's cheap and easy, but not very effective. With a BOV, you're only hearing a fraction of the beautiful induction noises your Fiesta ST has to offer, and not even the best part of it.

Here are several reasons to choose a Short Ram Intake over a BOV:

1. Blow-Off Vale Sound: The blow off valve noise of a SRI is still very audible like with a BOV, but slightly muted as the sound still has to travel a couple feet of pipe and escapes further away from the cabin than the BOV. Whereas it seems people often get tired of the loud in-cabin PSSHH of the BOV, the Short Ram intake muffles the sound just enough to still be aggressive and obvious inside and outside the car, without becoming obnoxious to hear on every shift.

2. Induction Noise Sound: In addition to hearing the beautiful BOV sound, with an SRI you can also clearly hear not only a quite agressive turbo spooling sound throughout most of the throttle range, but also some occasional turbo flutter and other sounds if you hit the throttle just right. You can also get good sound from cold-air intakes, but they will be somewhat quieter depending on each brand's design. Modulating the throttle input and the distinct change in turbo sound that results is quite addicting, fascinating and damn near magical.

3. Still Affordable: Short Ram Intakes are some of the cheaper and simpler intakes on the market, and still quite affordable compared to a BOV, as well as fairly easy to install. I got my Injen used on this forum for $120 and spent another $45 adding a Woosh Motorsports adapter for 2016+ cars.

4. Power gains: While theres some debate on this and it does vary, Short Ram Intakes have the opportunity to net you some modest gains, whereas a BOV will definitely not. On installation, I immediately noticed a much more snappy throttle response and what I believe to be a slight but definitely noticeable gain in power, perhaps around the 5hp mark that some SRI's claim. It's true that SRI's draw heat from the engine bay, but I believe this only a concern on very hot summer days and sitting in traffic, but not much if you're moving and in sub 90 deg weather. Add an aftermarket intercooler is a great idea here and negates any loss of power from heat soak. Driving in moderately hot 85 degree weather and without my intercooler I still felt a gain during my daily highway/city driving.

5. Dignity: Blow Off Valves don't do anything for your performance. Aftermarket intakes however do. BOV's just simply aren't interesting from a performance standpoint and anyone who knows that is going to look at it as just a cheap way of showing off rather than improving your car. With a SRI, you can still be a show-off without coming across as simply trying to be cool.

The above comments are based on a bunch of forum reading I did on the pros/cons of Short Ram Intakes versus other intakes, the reviews I read and videos I watched on the Boomba BOV, understanding the principles behind these things, my own opinions and build-plan, and my own personal experience with my Short Ram Intake which has exceeded all my expectations. I hope this helps encourage people to choose induction noise with an aftermarket intake such as a Short Ram over the other options as the induction noise these turbocharged cars make is quite spectacular and should not be overlooked!

**Edit** I'm referring to a BOV ADAPTER when comparing that option to the benefits of a SRI and brand makes no difference in my points mentioned above. **Edit**

Last edited:
It's a shame that Injen's system is really nothing more than a noise maker.
It doesn't really offer any gains as it's sucking in hot engine bay air, and is prone to heatsoaking.

I would have held out for a used Cobb, Mountune or CP-E system. The closed airbox is where it's at (unless you want gobs of power and obnoxious intake noises, then go with 2J)

You could have gotten the same noise benefit by simply cutting a few holes in the stock airbox and saved yourself $165

Just my $.02

felopr

why does this sound more like a marketing slogan than a review :/

OP
SirThomas88
Thread Starter #7
It's a shame that Injen's system is really nothing more than a noise maker.
It doesn't really offer any gains as it's sucking in hot engine bay air, and is prone to heatsoaking.

I would have held out for a used Cobb, Mountune or CP-E system. The closed airbox is where it's at (unless you want gobs of power and obnoxious intake noises, then go with 2J)

You could have gotten the same noise benefit by simply cutting a few holes in the stock airbox and saved yourself $165

Just my $.02
I disagree. from my experience I definitely *felt* a noticeable gain in throttle response AND power. Of course, the power feeling might just be an illusion thanks to the improved throttle response and pseudo effect of the butt-dyno. But I remain confident on the throttle response.

I mentioned the heat soak concern, but posts I've read and my research, the issue is negated with upgraded intercooler.

If all you are looking for is sound on a budget then yeah cutting holes is the way to go, that's true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
SirThomas88
Thread Starter #8
why does this sound more like a marketing slogan than a review :/
lol, I can't tell if this is an advertisement or a troll attempt.
Also.. check out the top 10 SUVs sold in India at this link!
Wow lol.. okay, at first I didn't know whether to just be offended, find it amusing, or take this as a complement. I'll settle on amusing and a compliment. I was about to say maybe I should change my job to sales and marketing but then I remembered I actually am in sales and marketing.. but for software, not car parts. Much less interesting.

Hey, if you guys took a sec and looked at my post history where you can clearly see I purchased my used Injen and my Woosh adapter, as well as other miscellaneous stuff it should be pretty obvious. Jokes on u guys but thanks for the amusement.

Writing decently well and having an opinion different from yours neither makes someone an advertiser nor a troll.

If you want to argue the actual points I posted, then by all means I look forward to discussing it... that's why I took the time an effort to write this all up. I considered my decision carefully before I choose an SRi over the other intake options and I wanted to give back to this forum by articulating my reasons for my decision for others to consider when making theirs.

A cold-air-intake system WILL give more gain, and SRI WILL give more heat, but I already acknowledged those in my original post and stated why I went with SRI anyways..

OP
SirThomas88
Thread Starter #11
+1 for the swiss cheese stock airbox. lots of sound at a fraction of the cost.
I also have my sym-poser deleted so I can hear those sounds better.
Yeah, nothing wrong with the Swiss-cheese option for cost-effectiveness for sure.

How does a symposer delete make you hear those sounds better? I'd think it'd just make the in-cabin sound quieter.

Edit: Oh, you probably mean you can hear your cheese box holes better lol. Makes sense.

Yeah, nothing wrong with the Swiss-cheese option for cost-effectiveness for sure.

How does a symposer delete make you hear those sounds better? I'd think it'd just make the in-cabin sound quieter.

That's just it, the interior is a lot quieter at all speeds. I can hear lots of noises coming from under the hood that were otherwise drowned out by the
symposer. Plus I can hear my radio and phone conversations better. I also don't have to worry about it leaking boost in the future. Lots of pluses and few negatives.

OP
SirThomas88
Thread Starter #13
That's just it, the interior is a lot quieter at all speeds. I can hear lots of noises coming from under the hood that were otherwise drowned out by the
symposer.
You know, I just figured that out and edited my post right as you were responding heh.

Plus I can hear my radio and phone conversations better. I also don't have to worry about it leaking boost in the future. Lots of pluses and few negatives.
All good reasons. I've been mulling over deleting mine as well. You just gave me even more encouragement to go ahead and do it.

There are lots of kits online if you want one with Bling Bling. Me I just grabbed some solid plastic round stock from work and a new hose clamp.
I should have done it sooner but better late than never.

I think the problem is, there is a lot of things in this post that may be misleading or are comparing apples to oranges. BOV and intakes serve 2 different functions, create 2 different types of sound and in different ways. I will 100% say that I think the Boomba BOV Adapter is ridiculous, but that's MY opinion. However, the stock plastic diverter valves on our cars are prone to failure at higher boost/power levels so saying an aftermarket BOV is just for showing off is completely inaccurate (no I don't have a vent to atmosphere one, I use the DV+ because it's quiet).

You state that exhaust noise can be loud, overwhelming and such and depending on the exhaust, I completely agree. But then you point out the minimal gains that it provide which make it not worth the money, which is essentially what MOST intakes for our platform also provide... minimal to no gains.

The post is just all over the place and sounded very much like a sales pitch for a product that performs at almost the same level as the free "swiss cheese" mod on the airbox w/ a drop in filter.

Also agree with installing Symposer deletes... I want to hear the real noise my engine is producing, not just the fake noise Ford wanted to make it sound sporty.

You know what's better than a BOV sound with a hot air intake? That sweet sound of a turbo spool makes when running a catless dp, now that is sweetness. With that being said you also want a badass sound with an intake that might actually do something better go for a 2JR. It's what I have and guarantee anybody who hears my car would agree. Don't accept anything less.

You know what's better than a BOV sound with a hot air intake? That sweet sound of a turbo spool makes when running a catless dp, now that is sweetness. With that being said you also want a badass sound with an intake that might actually do something better go for a 2JR. It's what I have and guarantee anybody who hears my car would agree. Don't accept anything less.
The ITG Maxogen is probably the next best performer/vocal intake available.

OP
SirThomas88
Thread Starter #20
I think the problem is, there is a lot of things in this post that may be misleading or are comparing apples to oranges. BOV and intakes serve 2 different functions, create 2 different types of sound and in different ways.
I think I made it pretty clear the topic is about comparing an SRI to a BOV in terms of what is a better choice for improving sound, hence the title "Love Induction Noise?" and the different types of sound they produce is the main reason why I suggest NOT purchasing a vent-to-air BOV. Comparing SRI sound to BOV sound is not apples to oranges. Comparing the other pros/cons is completely relevant as all factors should be taken into consideration when choosing between two different modifications.

... the stock plastic diverter valves on our cars are prone to failure at higher boost/power levels so saying an aftermarket BOV is just for showing off is completely inaccurate
I actually didn't think of that and it is a definitely a valid reason to replace a BOV. As I'm sure most people don't buy it with that reason in mind, rather than "completely innacurate" thats more like "not entirely accurate" that people only buy for showing off, but still a valid point for sure.

...You state that exhaust noise can be loud, overwhelming and such and depending on the exhaust, I completely agree. But then you point out the minimal gains that it provide which make it not worth the money, which is essentially what MOST intakes for our platform also provide... minimal to no gains.
The modest power gains (I didn't say minimal. Exhaust will probably net you more gain than an intake) of an exhaust was only one of five reasons I gave that an exhaust isn't worth it for improving sound on a stock turbo. Nowhere did I make the case that an intake is a better choice over an exhaust for power gains.

The post is just all over the place.
That's not fair, its just very thorough. I mean shit, I even broke it into sections and labeled them, starting with why induction noise is better than exhaust noise, and then clearly listed five valid reasons SRI trumps BOV for someone looking to improve their induction sound. I used paragraphs, lists, and titles. What more could you ask for!?! Lol.

Just admit it, you and the others obviously work for Boomba or a competing intake company... ;)

...and sounded very much like a sales pitch for a product that performs at almost the same level as the free "swiss cheese" mod on the airbox w/ a drop in filter
Both fair points. Okay, so I missed two valid reasons not to get a SRI, the swiss-cheese option and that BOV's replace the weak stock diverter valve.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So to update the pros/cons I'll restate them here more succinctly:

Pros of SRI over other sound enhancing mods (BOV, Exhausts, CAI):
  1. More reasonable BOV volume
  2. Audible Induction Noise
  3. Much more affordable than exhaust options and cheaper than other intake options (but not swiss-cheese box mod)
  4. Somewhat louder and more aggressive (generally) than CAI intakes
  5. Some throttle response and power gain (some debate on this) over a BOV option and swiss cheese option (but not Cold Air Intakes or Exhausts)

Cons of SRI:
  1. Prone to heat soak in extreme temperatures, or when sitting still, and needs an aftermarket intercooler to negate this. (Not a problem for people already planning to get an IC)
  2. More expensive than BOV
  3. Less power gain than a CAI or Exhaust system
  4. Doesn't solve a potentially weak diverter valve issue which only a replacement BOV will fix

Anything else I'm missing? Looking at that list, I still say those factors are considerably more favorable to the SRI option for people looking to improve sound on a budget. But that's why I created this thread. Each persons' build goals are different and these are the reasons that I took into consideration for my build which is a stock-turbo and budget-conscious build.