Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Help with Loss of Power

About two months ago I felt my 2015 Fiesta ST have a sudden loss of power. More specifically in 3rd gear and up. It feels like i hardly hit boost and less acceleration. Also, the BOV whoosh noise is noticeably lower. There is no check engine light. I have checked and tightened all pipes and there is no leaks. The car has has Cobb Intercooler, Cobb intake, Cobb RMM, Turbosmart BOV, Boomba symposer delete, FS werks exhaust. I purchased the car with most of these part and i suspect it had an acessport at one point. Im not sure if this could be the problem. I replaced the Boost solenoid as i suspected it might have failed but no luck. I have a odb2 blutooth transmitter that i use with Odb fusion app. Im not sure if the boost reading i am getting from it is accurate but the boost wont go past 5psi.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

felopr

About two months ago I felt my 2015 Fiesta ST have a sudden loss of power. More specifically in 3rd gear and up. It feels like i hardly hit boost and less acceleration. Also, the BOV whoosh noise is noticeably lower. There is no check engine light. I have checked and tightened all pipes and there is no leaks. The car has has Cobb Intercooler, Cobb intake, Cobb RMM, Turbosmart BOV, Boomba symposer delete, FS werks exhaust. I purchased the car with most of these part and i suspect it had an acessport at one point. Im not sure if this could be the problem. I replaced the Boost solenoid as i suspected it might have failed but no luck. I have a odb2 blutooth transmitter that i use with Odb fusion app. Im not sure if the boost reading i am getting from it is accurate but the boost wont go past 5psi.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
So, umm
let me get this straight, you bought the car with all the mods already in the car?
5 psi and no check engine light?
Doesn't make sense imo
Even on stock tune if you dont reach boost/load min target it should throw a cel
If it had a bad boost solenoid the car would had throw a cel
this cars have a very smart tuning logic, if one of the parameters dont look right it will throw a cel
how dependable/reliable is that "fusion App" you are using that you are measuring boost with?

unless you get a real reading of boost from a AP or a real boost gauge, diagnostic this is like throwing rocks at the wind

OP
C
Thread Starter #3
Yea i bought the car used at 20K miles. Im at 35K rn. I have a boost gauge coming in on Saturday so ill be able to check the actual boost.

felopr

Is it possible you're in valet slot ?
More like low boost mode, valet limits mph to 35
Also he said is recent that is happening, not since he bought it

Last edited:
he could have put it in valet/low boost mode by accident if the car came tuned. that mode limits boost to 5psi and wouldn't throw a code so it sounds like that could be the issue. try hitting the cruse control button when the car is on. If the RPM gauge goes immediately to 2k RPMs its likely you unintentionally turned it to low boost/valet mode. to change it back, hit the cruse control button and then hit the lower speed button and the RPM gauge should drop to 1k RMPs. That would change it back to the regular boost mode.

Here's how to do it per Cobb: https://cobbtuning.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/236400867-Cobb-Custom-Features-How-To-Map-Switching-on-Ford-Vehicles
Steps to Use:
Flash a map with 5-way map switching enabled
Click cancel/resume button on your cruise control in order to activate the switching.
Use "Set -" and "Set +" to change between available maps.
Map position will be marked on the tachometer by the needle sweeping to 1,2,3,4, or 5. Or you are able to add a gauge on the Accessport to monitor map position. (Most OTS maps only go to slot 1 or 2, however up to five can be utilised with custom tuning)

This sounds like an eco map issue to me, especially if you've checked all your boost line connections and don't have a CEL.

If you use CC often, I've noticed that I accidentally put it in eco mode once and was confused why I was only building 15 psi max. Surely enough, I had somehow changed the map slot.

This sounds like an eco map issue to me, especially if you've checked all your boost line connections and don't have a CEL.

If you use CC often, I've noticed that I accidentally put it in eco mode once and was confused why I was only building 15 psi max. Surely enough, I had somehow changed the map slot.
I did the same thing shortly after installing my Cobb tune. I was super confused why my car could barely sustain 80mph on the highway. I though I broke something, but it just turned out I switch the map to Eco and was only building 5lbs of boost.

OP
C
Thread Starter #10

I’m such an idiot lol. I didn’t know the car could still be tuned without the accessport. I checked and it was in low boost mode. Thank you guys sooo much!

I’m such an idiot lol. I didn’t know the car could still be tuned without the accessport. I checked and it was in low boost mode. Thank you guys sooo much!
No problem man, only reason I knew to suggest this is because I went through it myself. It's nice to have the piece of mind knowing that it's mechanically okay though. Typically, you unmarry the accessport before you trade in/ sell a car, so the original owner likely has a useless accessport now.

Glad you got it worked out!

You have another issue now that may, or may not, be a problem. The person who sold you the car didn't unmarry the AP and kept the unit.

OP
C
Thread Starter #14
You have another issue now that may, or may not, be a problem. The person who sold you the car didn't unmarry the AP and kept the unit.
I’m the third owner of the car and the guy I bought it from had no idea the car had all these mods. I didn’t either , I barley found out it had a COBB intercooler last month. So I’m guessing the 1st owner is who had the accessport. The car is salvage though and I was able to buy it at a price that if something actually does break, it won’t be that bad to replace.

I’m the third owner of the car and the guy I bought it from had no idea the car had all these mods. I didn’t either , I barley found out it had a COBB intercooler last month. So I’m guessing the 1st owner is who had the accessport. The car is salvage though and I was able to buy it at a price that if something actually does break, it won’t be that bad to replace.
Dess' point was that you won't be able to reflash the ECU unless you use the accessport the original owner had. If you ever want to go back to a stock tune, you'd have to take it to a dealer and have them reflash before you could hook up your own accessport.

codestp202

I would start looking into an AP and taking a log. You really have no clue if there is some super shitty tune on your car right now.

felopr

It makes sense now, i forgot people can sometimes be idiots and sell the AP married

Dess' point was that you won't be able to reflash the ECU unless you use the accessport the original owner had. If you ever want to go back to a stock tune, you'd have to take it to a dealer and have them reflash before you could hook up your own accessport.
I'm not sure the dealer has to flash it...another AP can probably overwrite it. The bigger issue is that chestermcfester doesn't and can't know what tune is currently on there and may be running the wrong fuel. He can always ask a friend who does have an AP to marry it and then unmarry so he'll be back to stock.

DEss

felopr

I would talk to cobb directly and talk to them

I'm not sure the dealer has to flash it...another AP can probably overwrite it. The bigger issue is that chestermcfester doesn't and can't know what tune is currently on there and may be running the wrong fuel. He can always ask a friend who does have an AP to marry it and then unmarry so he'll be back to stock.

DEss
Good to know, didn't know that was possible.

Ford Community Posts