Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Why Ford is killing the Fiesta and Focus.

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
My sister-in-law drives a Honda Odyssey, because they have 2 kids. Overkill much?

Also, I let my brother borrow my 16 FiST for a week (he was daily driving a 2001 GMC Sonoma 5-speed manual). A week later he traded his Sonoma for a 2015 Camry; even though the FiST was a major upgrade in cargo room compared to his miniature, bench seat truck- he said it was too small. He said he would’ve gotten a FiST if he didn’t have kids.

Meanwhile my wife and I are rocking 2 FiSTs with 2 kids, and have had ZERO problems with lack of cargo/luggage space.

People are being spoon fed that they need big vehicles, the sales-pitch is working.

Meanwhile my wife and I are rocking 2 FiSTs with 2 kids, and have had ZERO problems with lack of cargo/luggage space.

People are being spoon fed that they need big vehicles, the sales-pitch is working.
This! People seem to need to carry their whole house in their cars. And it's exactly the same when they travel. When I tell people I travel for a month with only a carry on 30 liters bag, packing a full laptop, goppro stuff, 2 cans of gatorade powder (dehydration problems when I trek in hot climate), my clothes and gear and I still have spare space, they look at me like I'm an alien.

I’ll see what the future beholds. Nothing is set in stone just yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zanethan

The electric car is still too impractical to be a reliable source of transportation. Charging stations aren't installed at regular intervals and the charging times are to long. Driving an electric car to visit my mom would take at least a day in an EV instead of the 5 hours with an internal combustion engine due to charging times. High efficiency hybrids will become the norm far before solely EV.

Not to mention that the range of EVs in cold temps can drop significantly. In some cases by half.

It will be at least 2050 before the electric car is the norm. That is of course assuming the world is still in one piece by then.

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
I’ll see what the future beholds. Nothing is set in stone just yet.

Exactly. Ford is playing with their crystal ball; they should give it some time. It took Subaru a little time to make some noise with their WRX, and STi, but it ended up paying off. It seems like Ford didn’t get the response they wanted right away, and abandoned ship. Here’s a novel idea: keep making ST, RS, and advertise them. Hell, Fiat had Charlie Sheen doing burnouts in a mansion. Why not put Harrison Ford in a FiST doing burnouts on a tennis court. Duh Ford, get with the program.

Advertise their performance lineup, like they do the F150. “BUILT FORD TOUGH!”

Crash

Hi everyone! Millennial here and brand new to the forum!

While I personally disagree with what Ford is doing, from a business perspective it makes sense. The Fiestas aren't selling, it's time to change. Gas prices dropped and SUV and Truck sales went back up, smaller cars weren't as important.

My generation is the future that Ford is looking to. As mentioned by Dpro, my gen is the Uber generation, the generation of non-drivers. Those that do drive either drive what they can get their hands on (used cars), or more "useful" cars, such as SUVs. Millennials that can afford a new vehicle are probably on the older end, and are looking for something that can support a family in their mid 20's, and a small SUV (the EcoSport) is a perfect option for budding families.
Trucks and luxury SUV's seem to still be hitting the mark with Baby Boomers, and Gen Xers are probably looking for something more sporty in their 40s, and Mustangs are a great fit. Right now there just isn't room to support two small Hatchbacks anymore.

I wish Ford all the best, but until I can afford my dream Mustang, or until driving becomes illegal, I can't see the next time I'll be buying a Ford product. And that hurts since my dad and grandpa put their 30 years in there, and all I've driven are Fords in my short time driving.

I adore my FiST, and I'm sad to see sales end here in the states, but in a country where manuals are already increasingly becoming extinct, and slowly driving itself for that matter, I'm just glad I had the opportunity to buy this as my first brand new car.

[MENTION=8472]captainmorbid[/MENTION] I count 1 main stream commercial for the Fiesta, and it ain’t an ST.
The marketing was aimed entirely at the young social media savvy target, which Ford (rightly or wrongly) was thinking would be the main target for this car. Hence the Ken Block sponsorship, and the Fiesta Movement media blitz. Neither of which was overly successful, but the 11-13 Mk7 sold much better than the improved 14-present, but never enough to justify the retooling and reengineer of the EU market cars to meet the US standards. So, marketing was a dead fish from the beginning. It’s a pity that it doesn’t sell in the US in enough volume to make it profitable for Ford, because they sell really well in Canada. If standards would just be harmonized with Europe... We would be getting the 18s. As well as a whole bunch of other really wicked cars, buuut Americans need a plethora of cup holders and the ability to hold some wider ummm trousers... (ah stereotypes)

Sent from my iPhone using Glue and macaroni

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
If standards would just be harmonized with Europe... We would be getting the 18s. As well as a whole bunch of other really wicked cars, buuut Americans need a plethora of cup holders and the ability to hold some wider ummm trousers... (ah stereotypes)
It is NOT as if EVERY single Euro/Brit is totally svelte and 'fit', but yeah, I get your point. ;)

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
The marketing was aimed entirely at the young social media savvy target, which Ford (rightly or wrongly) was thinking would be the main target for this car. Hence the Ken Block sponsorship, and the Fiesta Movement media blitz. Neither of which was overly successful, but the 11-13 Mk7 sold much better than the improved 14-present, but never enough to justify the retooling and reengineer of the EU market cars to meet the US standards. So, marketing was a dead fish from the beginning. It’s a pity that it doesn’t sell in the US in enough volume to make it profitable for Ford, because they sell really well in Canada. If standards would just be harmonized with Europe... We would be getting the 18s. As well as a whole bunch of other really wicked cars, buuut Americans need a plethora of cup holders and the ability to hold some wider ummm trousers... (ah stereotypes)

I don't understand your logic on ken block advertising.......... this car isn't just aimed towards a bunch of wanna be rally drivers. Ford themselves needed to market it. Also if you haven't noticed it isn't just a bunch of young kids owning these things. That's another reason I love the fist. The car doesn't have a typical type of owner or group like
Many cars have. This car is loved by many different types of people.

I don't understand your logic on ken block advertising.......... this car isn't just aimed towards a bunch of wanna be rally drivers. Ford themselves needed to market it. Also if you haven't noticed it isn't just a bunch of young kids owning these things. That's another reason I love the fist. The car doesn't have a typical type of owner or group like
Many cars have. This car is loved by many different types of people.
Oh, it wasn’t my logic. But yes, a huge proportion of my fellow Fiesta drivers have silver hair... At least the ones I see. I’ve only seen about 6 FiSTs in the wild in Edmonton, but dozens of FoSTs and 2 FoRS.

The biggest failure of the performance marketing was the fact that there was no performance version of the car to capitalize on that leg of the “marketing”.