Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Why Ford is killing the Fiesta and Focus.

OP
jmrtsus

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #43
Before you go Mazda, Hyundai, Honda, Mitsubishi, check out Chevrolet.

By then, the Sonic RS might be a little bit better than current. In terms of peak temporary output, GM doesn't offer a comparable vehicle.

http://www.chevrolet.com/byo-vc/cli...on=Mechanical&styleOne=393292&styleTwo=393298
In addition to loosing 61hp**, you also loose:
* Heated driver and front passenger seats
* Keyless Open
* Keyless Start

...but at least it has a partial digital gauge, projector headlamps and daytime running lights.

Keyless is one of those things I didn't miss until I had it though. Wouldn't want to go backwards on that option. Absent of Ford and GM offering a reliable, stylish, "true" performance vehicle that ain't the size of a woolly mammoth on a diet, Mazda would be next area of focus though. (no pun intended)

**Keep in mind that Ford's high hp numbers are due to "overboost" a.k.a. peak temporary output

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...Ts-on-the-road?p=242733&viewfull=1#post242733
http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...troduce-New-ST?p=280829&viewfull=1#post280829
The temporary overboost stays on for 15 seconds and resets between shifts, so on a performance run the power in available through all the gears. When else would you need it? So that is a moot point in the performance discussion. If over 140 mph is too slow and you need the few additional hp at top speed you are driving the wrong car. The ST's were the only ones of their type in the US. The rest of the world they had competition but never here. I don't think GM has announced the cars they are dropping yet, just that they are dropping the slow sellers.If I were a rich man I would buy an '18 ST and put it in storage for a spare!

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
The temporary overboost stays on for 15 seconds and resets between shifts, so on a performance run the power in available through all the gears. When else would you need it? So that is a moot point in the performance discussion. If over 140 mph is too slow and you need the few additional hp at top speed you are driving the wrong car. The ST's were the only ones of their type in the US. The rest of the world they had competition but never here. I don't think GM has announced the cars they are dropping yet, just that they are dropping the slow sellers.If I were a rich man I would buy an '18 ST and put it in storage for a spare!
I’m contemplating trading in my 16 for an 18 this year.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I've never seen an ad for the FiST.
Exactly. Seen more ads than I can count for their trucks. Still doesn't make me want one, but at least I know it exists. On the flip-side, I've seen plenty of ads from the Velocitors, the Kia rodents, Scions (from back then), etc, etc. Are they have'n a hard time selling here?

Didn't know the Fiesta existed until I went directly to the Ford website and shopped their line-up.

Dealer wasn't much help either. They kept trying to push me into something they already had on the lot... a Focus ST with flat-spotted tire(s) and a rough loping idle. They had one Fiesta ST on the lot and it was THE loudest orange you've ever seen; great but not my personality. They were stringing me along claiming "we're looking for you vehicle" but they actually weren't. It's been like two years and I still haven't heard back from them LoL.

None of the other dealers had a Fiesta ST at all... and they weren't even interested in fetching one. (there was one dealership I forgot about - they might've been non-dickish) I had to travel way out of town to find one that was at least close to what I wanted, and they STILL had to fetch one from 400 miles away to get the options.

Bottom line, Ford can't sell what people don't know about and have harder time getting. Meanwhile if I wanted a stripped down Mustang, loaded cross-over SUV, big honk'n F150 or Focus ST.......

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I was thinking similar. If you're racing it becomes a factor (and you'll never get to 140 on temporary boost) but for the streets and under most situations the time length for the temporary boost is adequate. But you must keep in mind, the fact that it is temporary at all, points toward a deficiency or deficiencies. (likely the cooling system)

I'm not confident about part availability for the long-term future but yeah, we both chose the FiST over the other currently available selections for the same reasons.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
My sister-in-law drives a Honda Odyssey, because they have 2 kids. Overkill much?

Also, I let my brother borrow my 16 FiST for a week (he was daily driving a 2001 GMC Sonoma 5-speed manual). A week later he traded his Sonoma for a 2015 Camry; even though the FiST was a major upgrade in cargo room compared to his miniature, bench seat truck- he said it was too small. He said he would’ve gotten a FiST if he didn’t have kids.

Meanwhile my wife and I are rocking 2 FiSTs with 2 kids, and have had ZERO problems with lack of cargo/luggage space.

People are being spoon fed that they need big vehicles, the sales-pitch is working.
NEVER EVER understood this 'logic'!! [nono]

We have a baby, so now we MUST go out and purchase purchase not just one, but TWO 8 MPG TANKS to drive around in, and dump even a spacious hatch/sedan. [???:)]

I was shlepping TWO kids to hockey practice and games at the same time, with all of their gear (sometimes even one of their team members as well), and one son was a goalie, in a 4th gen Z28!!
How, oh how the F**K did I EVER survive, and accomplish that?!? (I must be some kind of a miracle worker or something! LOL [rolleyes])

Another indication of Ford's direction.

My son is looking for a car (loves my FiST, would like to buy it); we went to our local dealer Airport Ford in Hamilton.

Told the Salesperson they had to send over, Britanny, we wanted to drive an '18 FiST and an Ecoboost Mustang.

We were told: they don't have any FiSTs, and (get this) IT'S NOT MUSTANG SEASON! Apparently no one drives Mustangs in the winter, they put them up on blocks 'til Spring.

I wonder why they aren't selling any cars.

She did offer that they have their first Ecosport in stock, though.

Exactly. Seen more ads than I can count for their trucks. Still doesn't make me want one, but at least I know it exists. On the flip-side, I've seen plenty of ads from the Velocitors, the Kia rodents, Scions (from back then), etc, etc. Are they have'n a hard time selling here?

Didn't know the Fiesta existed until I went directly to the Ford website and shopped their line-up.

Dealer wasn't much help either. They kept trying to push me into something they already had on the lot... a Focus ST with flat-spotted tire(s) and a rough loping idle. They had one Fiesta ST on the lot and it was THE loudest orange you've ever seen; great but not my personality. They were stringing me along claiming "we're looking for you vehicle" but they actually weren't. It's been like two years and I still haven't heard back from them LoL.

None of the other dealers had a Fiesta ST at all... and they weren't even interested in fetching one. (there was one dealership I forgot about - they might've been non-dickish) I had to travel way out of town to find one that was at least close to what I wanted, and they STILL had to fetch one from 400 miles away to get the options.

Bottom line, Ford can't sell what people don't know about and have harder time getting. Meanwhile if I wanted a stripped down Mustang, loaded cross-over SUV, big honk'n F150 or Focus ST.......
I once offered a salesman a steak dinner for two at a restaurant of his choice if he could locate a Certain RPO code i was seeking ! I didnt specify a color or option level. That seemed to motivate him.

Plainrt

1000 Post Club

My son is looking for a car (loves my FiST, would like to buy it); we went to our local dealer Airport Ford in Hamilton.

Told the Salesperson they had to send over, Britanny, we wanted to drive an '18 FiST and an Ecoboost Mustang.

We were told: they don't have any FiSTs, and (get this) IT'S NOT MUSTANG SEASON! Apparently no one drives Mustangs in the winter, they put them up on blocks 'til Spring.

I'd contact ford on that experience.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I think many salesmen are lazy. I arrange my own financing. Research exactly what i want and can actually get. When i contact a salesperson im good to go.
In my case, as far as financing goes, it would have been kind of hard to beat the zero down, zero percent interest, and a 6 year term which is what Ford themselves gave me, so it would have been a losing proposition if I had tried to get my own deal beforehand. ;)

On the other hand, if I would have been able to actually shop around at other dealers, especially the BIG discount ones in Baltimore, I would have done at least $2500.00 better on OTD price. [:(]

Hey M! Have you ever had a salesman accuse you of "being difficult"when all he had to do was fill out the order form and take your money? I'm not kidding.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Hey M! Have you ever had a salesman accuse you of "being difficult"when all he had to do was fill out the order form and take your money? I'm not kidding.
No, but the dealer I bought this car from found out, to their chagrin, just how 'difficult' I can be once they heard back from Ford C.S. about the horrific rating I gave them on their treatment of me during the ordering, and subsequent buying/picking up the car process.
THEN is when they got sooo concerned, NOT when they mistreated me during the rest of the ill-informed process! [mad]

No, but the dealer I bought this car from found out, to their chagrin, just how 'difficult' I can be once they heard back from Ford C.S. about the horrific rating I gave them on their treatment of me during the ordering, and subsequent buying/picking up the car process.
THEN is when they got sooo concerned, NOT when they mistreated me during the rest of the ill-informed process! [mad]
Gee! I wonder if any of these experiences might affect showroom traffic and, in turn, car sales. Just to steer this back to topic! My favorite blowoff was when i drove my yellow zx2 s/r onto the carlot of a nearby dealership to visit the parts counter. The salesman who three weeks earlier tossed the postit note with an RPO code on it back at me and said that he knew it didnt exist and that there was no point in looking! While we walked around the nonexistent car, i explained what an unpromoted sub-model was.

Gee! I wonder if any of these experiences might affect showroom traffic and, in turn, car sales. Just to steer this back to topic! My favorite blowoff was when i drove my yellow zx2 s/r onto the carlot of a nearby dealership to visit the parts counter. The salesman who three weeks earlier tossed the postit note with an RPO code on it back at me and said that he knew it didnt exist and that there was no point in looking! While we walked around the nonexistent car, i explained what an unpromoted sub-model was.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account

"'Murica! Cheap gas furever!" [wiggle] ST furever!

(Canada, too.)

The small CUV based on the Fiesta chassis might be a fun ST version, but it will never be a FiST.