Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Anyone seen this bearing fail before?

So i've posted before complaining of an oscillating whir, among other noises. Since then I've replaced a wheel bearing and just one noise remains. The bearing I replaced just so happened to be the side that also has the one new lower control arm... The side that looks like it got hit. Keep in mind Ive only had this car about a month. Im already invested and Ford wants nothing to do with it because of the aftermarket stuff (that was already installed...). So no, no warranty for me. Really, Im just curious if this bearing, 3k093 here (https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/shaft-front-axle-6469255-1) has failed for anyone, or if a minor accident could cause damage to it? I figured the "free play" in the axle would absorb the impact, then again, if the lower control arm was replaced... I plan to see if I can jack up the car and listen with a stethoscope tomorrow.

I should probably describe the noise, and why I dont think its another wheel bearing. The noise is loudest on acceleration, between 20-40mph. It does NOT change with braking and/or turning. Nor does it change with temperature, only with engine load. At first I was thinking a diff noise, but since it doesn't change with temperature or gear position Im leaning more toward this bearing. The cv doesn't click, but I do hear a slight rumble at full lock in either direction, that may well be the snow tires though.

I know Im gonna get a ton of "could be anything" or "Im not there" replies so I'll keep it simple.

Do the symptoms and diagnosis sound about right?

Thanks.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
So i've posted before complaining of an oscillating whir, among other noises. Since then I've replaced a wheel bearing and just one noise remains. The bearing I replaced just so happened to be the side that also has the one new lower control arm... The side that looks like it got hit. Keep in mind Ive only had this car about a month. Im already invested and Ford wants nothing to do with it because of the aftermarket stuff (that was already installed...). So no, no warranty for me. Really, Im just curious if this bearing, 3k093 here (https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/shaft-front-axle-6469255-1) has failed for anyone, or if a minor accident could cause damage to it? I figured the "free play" in the axle would absorb the impact, then again, if the lower control arm was replaced... I plan to see if I can jack up the car and listen with a stethoscope tomorrow.

I should probably describe the noise, and why I dont think its another wheel bearing. The noise is loudest on acceleration, between 20-40mph. It does NOT change with braking and/or turning. Nor does it change with temperature, only with engine load. At first I was thinking a diff noise, but since it doesn't change with temperature or gear position Im leaning more toward this bearing. The cv doesn't click, but I do hear a slight rumble at full lock in either direction, that may well be the snow tires though.

I know Im gonna get a ton of "could be anything" or "Im not there" replies so I'll keep it simple.

Do the symptoms and diagnosis sound about right?

Thanks.
What gear? If its 4th gear...I do believe I had the same bearing noise you describe....whole trans needed replacement as ford deemed it cheaper to replace it than rebuild it. Lmk i f there's anymore thing I can do to help.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

What gear? If its 4th gear...I do believe I had the same bearing noise you describe....whole trans needed replacement as ford deemed it cheaper to replace it than rebuild it. Lmk i f there's anymore thing I can do to help.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
If its the same deal as with the Focus ST, Ford can't really do anything other than send the trans back to the manufacturer, so if anything goes wrong with it, regardless of how minor, it means you're getting a new transmission.