Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Strange clunk over bumps and sometimes on turns

For the last few months I've been hearing a slight clunk in my engine Bay Area when hitting bumps and taking turns. I figured it was my Cobb RMM and the cold. Here recently in the last week or two it's been getting much worse. I have acces to a full service garage so I lifted the car to tighten the mount and everything was tight. So, I figured maybe it's the rack and pinion because I read in a thread someone had that issue on their car. But agin the rack was tight. Now I'm confused, I've been working on cars for years and can't seem to figure out where it's coming from. The only mod I I've is the Cobb RMM. If anyone has ran into this issue and resolved the problem please let me know what I need to do. ITS DRIVING ME CRAZY! Thank you for any suggestions!

Factory exhaust hangers? If so wiggle it and see what happens. Stock are super sloppy.

OP
ascruggs
Thread Starter #3
Factory exhaust hangers? If so wiggle it and see what happens. Stock are super sloppy.
Thank you! I forgot about that! Might have to order some stiffer hangers tonight!

OP
ascruggs
Thread Starter #5
Front sway bar / ARB bushes tend to go on these and make a clunk on bumps also
Sorry, not sure what the ARB bushings are. Also I check the sway bar and rack when the car was lifted the other day so don't think its the sway bar. but i could be wrong, I have been wrong before a few times.

Sorry, not sure what the ARB bushings are. Also I check the sway bar and rack when the car was lifted the other day so don't think its the sway bar. but i could be wrong, I have been wrong before a few times.
ARB - anti-roll bar. Another term for sway bar.

Suspension top hat / bearings are also a source of “clunks” according to a UK site

OP
ascruggs
Thread Starter #7
ARB - anti-roll bar. Another term for sway bar.

Suspension top hat / bearings are also a source of “clunks” according to a UK site
My car has just over 20k on it, wouldn't think it would be the top hat / bearing but I'm not sure. Driving into work today it didn't make a peep, other days it sounds like the RMM is falling off.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I take for granted that you already thoroughly checked the other engine/transaxle mounts besides the RMM, correct?

Check the passenger side motor mount. The bolt is known to sheer, mine did even though I baby my car around town. A simple jaunt onto the freeway has been known to break the main bolt.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
ascruggs
Thread Starter #11
Check the passenger side motor mount. The bolt is known to sheer, mine did even though I baby my car around town. A simple jaunt onto the freeway has been known to break the main bolt.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
I only check the RMM because the noise sounds like its under the car, but i will check the passenger side mount tonight. Thanks for the input!