Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

PIAA Platinum H7 LED Bulb in Euro Headlamps

VirtualRonin

Active Military
I picked up a set of DEPO Euro Headlamps about 2 months ago. My first set of H7 low beam bulbs were Phillips Diamond Vision and I was very unimpressed with the output so I decided to take a chance and go with a good set of LEDs. I chose the PIAA Platinum LED H7 bulbs.

PIAA_LED.jpg

I ordered a set of 75mm rubber headlight housing caps from The Retrofit Source since I expected the bulbs would likely extend out past the housing a bit.

Taitian-2Pc-75mm-headlight-rubber-Dust-Cover-Cap-HID-Xenon-Foglights-H3-car-led-fog-light.jpg

I neglected to take pics when I installed them into the headlight but install is straight forward. I found it was easier to remove the heatsink from the bulb before installing it into the headlight then reinstall it after the bulb was clipped in. After the heatsink was installed back onto the bulb I connected the driver and tucked it inside the headlight assembly. The 75mm extended cap fit perfectly on the headlight housing and left plenty of space for the bulb and heatsink.

Here's a daytime pic

IMG_3162.jpg

And here's the cutoff

IMG_3136.jpg

I've been running these bulbs for a few weeks now and I'm very impressed with them. I was planning to retrofit in the future but now I'm having second thoughts about needing to.

Sorry for going slightly off topic, but did you paint those headlamps black or did they come that way? Thanks

OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #3
Sorry for going slightly off topic, but did you paint those headlamps black or did they come that way? Thanks
They came that way. I ordered them through an Italian website called Xino.it. They're made by DEPO Auto Lamp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They came that way. I ordered them through an Italian website called Xino.it. They're made by DEPO Auto Lamp

Thanks! I didn't realize they've started making them in black. I googled and found some on a more English friendly German site too.

Is the output improved over the halogen counterparts you originally had installed? How about it rain/ poor light situations?

OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #6
Is the output improved over the halogen counterparts you originally had installed? How about it rain/ poor light situations?
I would say it's a huge improvement in all driving conditions I've been in so far. It's winter here so I've used them in snow conditions but not in any hard rainfall conditions yet. PIAA just came out with a new LED in H7, the G3 LED. They cost about $100 over the Platinum line though.

I just tested last night the euro (tyc version) projectors with halogen h7 and hid h7. Halogen was 250lux, HID was 450lux. I didn't test an LED bulb as I didn't have an h7 handy but they are typically 30% less lux than a standard 35w hid with aftermarket bulbs.

I am in the process of a retrofit though, and with a 50w Philips xtreme vision or xtreme ultinon bulb in a 4tl-r projector we typically see 1100-1200lux. These tests are done using the same location, distance, and regulated power supply along with the same test bulbs and ballasts so there isn't too much variation.

I like that these housings are already blacked out! I am sending mine off to paint, still unsure whether to go with silver/grey or gloss/metallic black.

OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #8
I just tested last night the euro (tyc version) projectors with halogen h7 and hid h7. Halogen was 250lux, HID was 450lux. I didn't test an LED bulb as I didn't have an h7 handy but they are typically 30% less lux than a standard 35w hid with aftermarket bulbs.

I am in the process of a retrofit though, and with a 50w Philips xtreme vision or xtreme ultinon bulb in a 4tl-r projector we typically see 1100-1200lux. These tests are done using the same location, distance, and regulated power supply along with the same test bulbs and ballasts so there isn't too much variation.

I like that these housings are already blacked out! I am sending mine off to paint, still unsure whether to go with silver/grey or gloss/metallic black.
Cool, you'll have to post some pics when they are finished.

In offthewall's long euro light thread, he talked about having issues with his LEDs moving around in the housing and generally not being a snug fit. Did you have this problem at all?

OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #10
In offthewall's long euro light thread, he talked about having issues with his LEDs moving around in the housing and generally not being a snug fit. Did you have this problem at all?
Not at all. I believe he used Morimoto LEDs with a Morimoto H11 to H7 adapter. The PIAAs I have are made for an H7 fitting and the bulbs clip in place very solidly.

Not at all. I believe he used Morimoto LEDs with a Morimoto H11 to H7 adapter. The PIAAs I have are made for an H7 fitting and the bulbs clip in place very solidly.

Awesome thanks for the info. I'll probably jump on these. Did you have to cut a hole in the rubber boot for the led wire?

OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #12
Awesome thanks for the info. I'll probably jump on these. Did you have to cut a hole in the rubber boot for the led wire?
No, I tucked the LED driver inside the headlight housing so no wiring is running outside the headlight. Just get some 75mm extended headlight housing caps from The Retrofit Source and you'll be set.

Last edited:
Cool, you'll have to post some pics when they are finished.

Yeah, I'll post up a thread with some pics. Here's a teaser, using a Lexus gunmetal colour.

What a difference in lux:
Stock halogen - 240lux
Morimoto 50w hid kit in stock projector - 450lux
Morimoto 4tl-r projector with philips xtreme vision g2 at 50w - 2200lux!! (Tested at 35w - 1600lux)

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

I can't imagine how bright that is.. I drove last night in the pitch black with my TYC euro projectors and even with my passenger light aimed way too low I could tell there was a huge improvement over stock. I could actually see the road and the sides of the road so much better.

The stock headlights are just terrible. I put basic Philips crystal vision ultra H7's in my OEM euro headlights (will upgrade further after I finish the rest of my plans lol) and even that was a huge improvement. I added same bulbs in H11 in my fogs. I've been lurking in these threads waiting for a solid LED option for Euro projectors that didn't flop around. (the ones that came with my head lights had a terrible output and flopped all over the place.

Definitely following these threads!

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Yeah, I'll post up a thread with some pics. Here's a teaser, using a Lexus gunmetal colour.

What a difference in lux:
Stock halogen - 240lux
Morimoto 50w hid kit in stock projector - 450lux
Morimoto 4tl-r projector with philips xtreme vision g2 at 50w - 2200lux!! (Tested at 35w - 1600lux)

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
I'm digging the silver accenting on the corners

Thanks! I didn't realize they've started making them in black. I googled and found some on a more English friendly German site too.
Anyway you guys can post direct links or have a part number ? I am having a hard time locating these anywhere. Thanks.

Anyway you guys can post direct links or have a part number ? I am having a hard time locating these anywhere. Thanks.
These part numbers are for the TYC headlights (from the ebay listings), so if you want black bezels, dont get these since these are chrome.

20-14601-06-2 (right)
20-14602-06-2 (left)