Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Clarification for ATP Downpipe

Finally after 2 days of having the car on jack stands and soaking this last dang bolt holiding the OEM downpipe to turbo I finally took it off tonight and removed the stock downpipe. Now I ordered my ATP downpipe from stratified to also get that $50 tune credit. What I received was the box, bubble wrap, and the catless downpipe with a baggie of hardware taped to it. No instructions. I dont need instructions on the install but what about the hardware? I wanted clarification on what to do before installing the ATP. I will be buying a new gasket tomorrow and installing after work. Hopefully someeone has pitched in by then.
P.S I snapped one of the 2 15mm bolts that hook up the downpipe to catback. Do I need to get another on or is that what the 2 double sided slightly wider threaded black pieces are for?
Thanks just havent seen much for ATP.
Disposing off the header and downpipe heat shield as it was nearly imposing to take out so not going through that again to reinstall.

If I remember correct from way back when I did my atp downpipe, I believe it came with new turbo to downpipe studs and nuts as well as downpipe to catback hardware (the larger black studs you mentioned). Make sure you swap the fire ring (turbo to downpipe gasket) from the oem downpipe. Also, this reminds me I have to get around to getting some of my old parts up for sale.

OP
A
Thread Starter #3
If I remember correct from way back when I did my atp downpipe, I believe it came with new turbo to downpipe studs and nuts as well as downpipe to catback hardware (the larger black studs you mentioned). Make sure you swap the fire ring (turbo to downpipe gasket) from the oem downpipe. Also, this reminds me I have to get around to getting some of my old parts up for sale.
Okay so I took off the fire ring and it was flaky so I was going to stop by the dealer to get a new one but for the 2 bigger black studs and 3 thinner black studs. How do i go about tightening them? Since theyre not a tight fit in the holes in the ends of the downpipe. Ive never used studs before just bolts or nuts. Their is also 4 washers and 4 copper nuts and 3 copper nuts with a outer ring lip on one end.
I tried to post a picture but it said file was too big for the forum.

Basically if you choose to use the new turbo to downpipe studs, you will thread those into the turbine housing without the downpipe on (easier access). They should have a center section that is not threaded, so once they reach a point, they will no longer thread in. Probably wouldn't hurt to use some copper never seize on the threads, just a dab though as it will smoke when you first heat cycle the turbo. I recall I was able to thread them all the way in by hand, however, if you can't do this, you could just use the double nut method and put them in one at a time. The three smaller nuts will be used here. As for the other two larger studs and associated washers and nuts, you can simply thread a nut on one side of the stud until the nut is flush with the end (basically creating a bolt) and slide a washer on and push it through the flange connection of the downpipe and catback. The reason they are not snug in the flange holes is to give you some flexibility as to how the flanges are oriented to eachother. Once you are happy with the position you simply snug up and tighten them as you would a bolt and nut.
Hope this helps.

Okay so I took off the fire ring and it was flaky so I was going to stop by the dealer to get a new one but for the 2 bigger black studs and 3 thinner black studs. How do i go about tightening them? Since theyre not a tight fit in the holes in the ends of the downpipe. Ive never used studs before just bolts or nuts. Their is also 4 washers and 4 copper nuts and 3 copper nuts with a outer ring lip on one end.
I tried to post a picture but it said file was too big for the forum.

Last edited:
OP
A
Thread Starter #5
It seems like this downpipe install just isn’t for me.. snapped the downpipe to catback bolt, lost 1 of the bolts that went from the downpipe to turbo. And now only 1 bolt turns smoothly for the new downpipe to turbo. The other 2 wont turn smoothly from the very beginning. And last but not least the angle of the downpipe sits really high to where the catback bolts up to. It makes the catback have to be pushed up to be bolted in instead of sitting on the hangers and just sliding in.
I’m stuck by myself working on this. And my last option would be having my geico tow assistance to send it to my local exhaust shop but I really didn’t want to have to come to that

If you don't need the car back on the road right way, I would suggest just making sure you take your time, chances are it's going to fight you, but it you should be able to get it all hooked up. Unless something is out of position the downpipe should be fairly close to mating up with the catback. I do recall having to push the downpipe flange up a little, but nothing crazy.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
What catback are you running?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk