Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Wind noise around doors?

I'm trying to get a feel for how much wind noise I should be hearing around the doors, right by my ear. It starts around 40 mph and gets pretty loud at highway speeds, say a solid 3 on a scale from 1 (car not moving) to 5 (window down 40 mph). I realize the FiST is based on an economy car and built to a cost, so I don't expect luxury car sound levels. But I wonder if the noise is a design issue or a part / build issue? What have you all experienced?

LaserWhisperer

I've not experienced much wind noise with mine, unless of course one of the windows isn't fully sealed closed.
In fact, I'm actually very impressed with how Ford managed to deaden so much road and wind noise with this little car.
Even at 70mph, the only wind noise I can hear now, is from my recently installed roof rack.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
My best guess is that what you are hearing is tire noise. I agree with laser though. The noise levels I've experienced otherwise are relatively low for an economy car. Don't know what tires you are using right now but I can say that the stock tires on my FiST (2015) were pretty noisy. But I didn't notice it was such a big part of the problem until the first time I changed my tires and...now I'm never willfully going back to the oem tires again.

That said, maybe your door seals aren't properly seated or a window is cracked? Just a couple of other things that you can check in the meantime.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

You can try to take some spray silicone and lightly spray it over the door opening where the weatherstripping sits, then shut the door and open it a few times. Open back up the door and start to look for any gaps in the silicone on the door weatherstripping.
If that doesn’t work start putting masking tape over different seams one by one untill the noise is gone and theat may also help.

I'm trying to get a feel for how much wind noise I should be hearing around the doors, right by my ear. It starts around 40 mph and gets pretty loud at highway speeds, say a solid 3 on a scale from 1 (car not moving) to 5 (window down 40 mph). I realize the FiST is based on an economy car and built to a cost, so I don't expect luxury car sound levels. But I wonder if the noise is a design issue or a part / build issue? What have you all experienced?
Know exactly what you're talking about, especially when you describe wind noise by your ear. I can hear it too, usually when I'm driving in the left lane and there's a solid median or wall to my left. I did some inspecting and found that the weather stripping which seals the seam between the upper window frames between the front and back doors had come off. It's a thin piece of rubber mounted to the frame of the rear door and is held by very thin adhesive. I just glued it back into place and the noise has reduced greatly. Not totally gone, but as you said, economy car roots.

OP
M
Thread Starter #6
Thanks guys, good suggestions on the tape and silicone spray. Will report back if I find anything.

Thanks guys, good suggestions on the tape and silicone spray. Will report back if I find anything.
Both of these are great suggestions. If you look closely there will be two weather strips - one on the door, the other on the body side. Verify that both are seated right. If that still doesn't solve your issue you'll need to check for loss of contact. That's where the silicon or other creative method comes in to play. If you don't want the hassle, take it to the dealer. They'll diagnose it for you. Worst thing is you'll need a door adjustment. Oh and you shouldn't need a new seal unless of course there's obvious damage

OP
M
Thread Starter #8
Just started poking around...odd that this section of seal just sits loosely in a channel. Same on the pass. side. No idea if it is the cause yet.
0201181416.jpg

As a 17 owner i also hear wind throughout the cabin, but this replaced my old daily, a 2000 toyota echo, which sounded like a tornado within the cabin at any speed over 20. Not to mention the damn thing blew in the wind like a kite, enhancing the tornado effect

Just started poking around...odd that this section of seal just sits loosely in a channel. Same on the pass. side. No idea if it is the cause yet.
View attachment 16880
Nice catch. That seal needs to be tucked into the little flange that runs vertically through that area of the door. This will place the seal in its intended position and may or may not solve your issue. Check the other side door to make sure it's seated too. Be careful with the little attachment clips below belt. They can be removed with a pick if you need to move the seal out of the way.

As a 17 owner i also hear wind throughout the cabin, but this replaced my old daily, a 2000 toyota echo, which sounded like a tornado within the cabin at any speed over 20. Not to mention the damn thing blew in the wind like a kite, enhancing the tornado effect
There will be some wind noise in my experience but you shouldn't be hearing wind ENTER the cabin either. Unless there's extremely heavy wind on the highway or something.

OP
M
Thread Starter #12
My picture is a little misleading...it isn't in that position normally. I was trying to show that the seal is held in the channel very loosely. It's firmly attached at the top corner and below the window sill.

What I'm suggesting is the seal lip should be tucked into the flange and the rest of the seal seated into the channel so that it's supported on three sides and has zero movement. In other words it should be firmy attached inside the channel as well. Otherwie it may rock and lose contact when you close the door. The plant may have forgotten to seat it all the way

Ever since my car was repaired by the body shop, I've noticed a wind noise coming through the driver's door around 45-50 mph. I didn't notice the wind noise prior to the accident. I guess that's what diminished value claims are for.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Folks, make sure you lubricate those door seals with silicon spray *before* you get hit with a freezing rain.

When you have to force the door open because it was frozen shut, you're also placing a LOT of stress on those door seals. This may pull them loose from their seats. Cheaper quality door seals may tear.

I've found wind noise comes from the mirror itself - wind goes through where the mirror mounts to the arm from the body (the folding mechanism split)

My car has a ton of wind noise - I thought it was just symptoms of economy car. I'll check the aforementioned spots. My car was sold to me as new off the lot, but I swear the wind noise is so loud I've often thought perhaps something was repaired on it and they just never said anything...