Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Foam cannons let's discuss them

jeff

2000 Post Club
In the fight to keep a black car clean, deal with my type A personality, and escape the meaningless of life, I am now the proud owner of a FOAM CANNON. After a little research I decided what type was best for me and purchased one, which arrived today.

There are 2 basic types - the hose type and the pressure washer type. I chose the hose type so I wouldn't have to get my pressure washer out and deal with all those hoses every time I wash my car. The PW type produces much more foam though. But the hose type is way easier and foamy enough I think for my purposes. I read the reviews of various products and picked this one:

The Gilmour Foamaster II

Type II like the old Acuras, it's gotta be good.

Anyhow it arrived today and I'm excited to try this thing out in the next day or so. I'll post some pics and thoughts when I do.

Hosted on Fotki

I also have a black car and having a foam cannon has helped so much. I have used both variants, and while I do like the results of the PW version more, the hose attached one is more convenient.

On the subject of washing the FiST, I have been washing and "Mostly" drying the car, then letting it sit in my garage to drip dry. There are so many pockets that hold water, its really annoying. After its completely dry I use a quick detailer to clean it up!

I'm curious to see your opinion of the foam cannon after you've used it a few times. Enjoy it!

V_2

Best of luck. I have found hose-powered foam cannons to be rather pointless and the coupling between hose nozzle and tank start leaking profusely. But I do feel you on lugging out the pressure washer every time you wash the car. I have an electric one and it works well enough with a cannon, but I definitely only get it out now for special occasions.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
I also have a black car and having a foam cannon has helped so much. I have used both variants, and while I do like the results of the PW version more, the hose attached one is more convenient.

On the subject of washing the FiST, I have been washing and "Mostly" drying the car, then letting it sit in my garage to drip dry. There are so many pockets that hold water, its really annoying. After its completely dry I use a quick detailer to clean it up!

I'm curious to see your opinion of the foam cannon after you've used it a few times. Enjoy it!
Thanks man. I'll give it a go today or tomorrow.

Do you pour the soap straight in the reservoir or pre-mix? Or use a store-bought solution?

Another top tip while we're talking car washing, I use my leaf blower to dry my car after washing. It gets all the water out of the mirrors, wheels, tires, all the crevices, and those pockets on the front grill and rear honeycomb. It's pretty awesome and only takes a minute. Then I towel dry what little water remains and give the windows a good drying. Works really well.

I've used both types. While I prefer the PW, living in the city and cleaning my car on the street in front of my house is not very conducive to using a PW, so I've opted for the hose type. For mixing the foam, I will fill the canister of the cannon up with water FIRST and then add a healthy amount of the car wash soap I am using. If you do it the other way around you'll end up with a sudsy mess on your hands (ask me how I know...).

I think its a great tool in your detailing arsenal and should be used with every wash to break up the heavy layer of soil sitting on top of the paint.

Do you pour the soap straight in the reservoir or pre-mix? Or use a store-bought solution?

Another top tip while we're talking car washing, I use my leaf blower to dry my car after washing. It gets all the water out of the mirrors, wheels, tires, all the crevices, and those pockets on the front grill and rear honeycomb. It's pretty awesome and only takes a minute. Then I towel dry what little water remains and give the windows a good drying. Works really well.
I need to invest in a leaf blower but I suppose I could use my compressor to force the air out.

My foam cannon has a soap and water line. I fill to each line close the sucker up and shake. I've noticed that it foams up better that way.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
Heck I got so excited I put it together and tried it real quick on my beater. I'm impressed!

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

That's just an inch of dawn dish soap at the bottom of the tank.

PS for bonus points notice the LP frame...

Dish soap? I thought that's the worst you can use on your car because it strips the wax?

I have a PW foam cannon and love it, although I wonder how everyone gets their car completely scrubbed before the initial snow blanket dries on to the car.

Dish soap? I thought that's the worst you can use on your car because it strips the wax?

I have a PW foam cannon and love it, although I wonder how everyone gets their car completely scrubbed before the initial snow blanket dries on to the car.
You're correct on the dish soap, it'll strip wax. But if its a beater then.. Meh. I'd make sure to clean the foam cannon out thoroughly after using Dawn before using it on a car with paint you care about just to ensure no Dawn touches the paint.

The initial blanket of foam is only supposed to be sprayed on and then rinsed off, no scrubbing. Its purpose it to get large debris/heavy soil off the paint prior to you touching the car with any sort of wash medium.

I have a very convoluted method of washing my car when I'm not lazy. Wet car, spray foam, double bucket method wash, rinse, more foam, rinse, dry, then spray wax.

As far as the dish soap, you are correct its can remove wax. But he did say beater car... LOL

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #13
You're correct on the dish soap, it'll strip wax. But if its a beater then.. Meh. I'd make sure to clean the foam cannon out thoroughly after using Dawn before using it on a car with paint you care about just to ensure no Dawn touches the paint.

The initial blanket of foam is only supposed to be sprayed on and then rinsed off, no scrubbing. Its purpose it to get large debris/heavy soil off the paint prior to you touching the car with any sort of wash medium.
Yeah, the beater sits neglected in the elements....I had some Dawn, not gonna use my expensive stuff on it.

And yes on the initial blanket, I learned that on ChrisFix.

Oh ok, although seems like such a waste of soap I think I'll keep scrubbing some of my car after the blanket with a bucket of soapy water [hihi]. That damn Chemical Guys soap is expensive but I'm pretty impressed with how well it works.

Oh ok, although seems like such a waste of soap I think I'll keep scrubbing some of my car after the blanket with a bucket of soapy water [hihi]. That damn Chemical Guys soap is expensive but I'm pretty impressed with how well it works.
Yeah - its a good way to really run through soap. Some find it worth it, some not. I'm in the former camp, but its not for everyone! My girlfriend thinks I'm loco [screwy]

I have a PW foam cannon that I use with my gas-powered pressure washer. It is pretty quick to set up and lays down a layer of foam so thick you cannot tell what color the car is. Is it really necessary? I don't know. But it's part of my wash ritual, as are the 2 buckets and an electric (not gas powered which will throw oily 2-stroke exhaust at the car) leaf blower.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I wonder how everyone gets their car completely scrubbed before the initial snow blanket dries on to the car.
THIS^^^

I cannot use one of these since I will end up with MANY MORE water/soap spots and streaks than not using one.
I DO run the rinsing water over the car AS I am washing with the sudsy microfiber sponge though. ;)

Unlike everyone else, I CANNOT choose the exact perfect conditions in which to wash/dry/wax my car, as it must be done in a driveway with only one small tree for shade, at only very specific times of the day/small 'window' for said shade, regardless of season. [:(]
(Unless, of course, it is one of those rare cloudy days with a GUARANTEE of NO RAIN!)

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Looks like the same foam washer I have. I use mine only for the wheels and it does a great job, CT-18 truck wash at 50/50.

IMG_2650.JPG

Last edited:
OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #19
OK I gave it a go, meh, foam shmoam, this is nice but you still need a bucket of hot soapy water, the foam does help loosen the top layer of grit and dirt I'm sure, and really helped clean the wheels. My daughter had fun spraying foam everywhere too. Car is clean, that's no reflection on the cannon but thought I'd post.

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club

I do that - I heated up the end of one of my extensions for the blower and flattened it out, the greater airspeed pushes water out of crevices a little better, though you can hear that its a little harder on the motor.