Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Capri- Who Else Had One?

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
When I was 17, and had already been a car fanatic since I was 10, I talked my dad into buying a '72 Capri. Car & Driver had raved about it, and my dad had never had a fun car, being one of those stoic old-school guys that were in World War II, in New Guinea and the Phillipines in his case. It was a fun joint adventure. It was a 2-liter, and was pretty quick. The best thing about it, though, was the feeling of bending it through a corner. That started a love of good-handling cars that continues to this day, and that led me to the FiST. Getting another European-designed performance Ford felt like coming full circle.
I loved driving it, and thought I was a great driver,avoiding any major wrecks even after almost losing it a few times going into a corner too fast. Looking back, it was more like a combination of luck and fast reflexes. I did have a few little fender-benders in it, which my dad was very patient about.
A few times I got to drive it to high school, and I thought I was cool. If you wanted to insult someone's car then, you called it a milkwagon, as in slow. We had a beautiful Turkish exchange student that we were all too scared and dorky to ask out. Some of the guys got her to come up to me and say "your car is milkwagon." A teacher saw me cut through a gas station in it to pass a bus near school, and ran up to me and said he was making a citizen's arrest. It reminded me of when Gomer tried to citizen's arrest Barney Fife on Andy Griffith. The car also helped me become friends with some of the muscle car guys, showing me back then how an interest in cars can help bridge gaps.
My dad had the car a few years then, but kindly gave it back to me during law school, and for a couple years after while I got my law practice going. Then, I bought my first car on my own, and was proud to give it back to him. He drove until he passed away.
That car remains very special to me, because it started me on a lifetime of liking cars and being fascinated by them. It also helped a shy kid make friends. Most importantly, it provided an extra bond and connection between my dad and me through the years.

Attached is a picture of my friend and I washing it. I haven't met any of you in person, but in the interest of full disclosure will state that I had slightly more hair back then. I'm the one on the right. The guy on the left is still a good friend all these years later.

DAME & I WASHING CAPRI.jpg

This was a fantastic read. Well done... It really resonated with me because as a single father of 2 (7 & 8 years old), after saving for a long time, I finally got my dream dad car, this brand new '17 FiST with recaros, nav, sunroof... and they were super excited about it and they love the sounds it makes and driving too fast around a corner. They even help me when I'm installing parts on it. My plan is to keep this until they graduate and I'm sure by then we will have many memories with the car. But I just wanted you to know that there is a next generation of gear heads I'm developing (my daughter is a Lexus fan and my son is a Lambo and S-class fan?? lol)

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
This was a fantastic read. Well done... It really resonated with me because as a single father of 2 (7 & 8 years old), after saving for a long time, I finally got my dream dad car, this brand new '17 FiST with recaros, nav, sunroof... and they were super excited about it and they love the sounds it makes and driving too fast around a corner. But I just wanted you to know that there is a next generation of gear heads I'm developing (my daughter is a Lexus fan and my son is a Lambo and S-class fan?? lol)
Thank you. I hope when your kids are grown up they look back fondly on their time with you and the family FiST.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
My very FIRST new car was a 1976 'Black Cat' Capri II V-6 manual with a sunroof as the ONLY option (besides the black and gold trim of the Black Cat package).

It was ~ $4500.00 OTD, and I paid it off fairly quickly despite being in college, with decent paying part time jobs, and a low credit union rate loan.
This car got me back and forth across the country a few times as I was attending the University Of Arizona (Tucson) at the time.

It was also fun on the (in some places) switch backed roads to the top of Mt. Lemmon.
Also on the extended road trip my room mate and I took north to the Grand Canyon, and then west to Vegas, and through Needles, and points out thar, before heading back to Tucson.
IF I would have realized I was within 80 miles or so of Joshua Tree National Park at one point, I would have gone there as a sort of 'pilgrimage' (I was, and still AM a big Gram Parsons/Flying Burrito Brothers fan). ;)

I kept that car for almost 8 years (and 140K miles) before selling it to my younger brother, and buying a white '83 A1 GTI (the first ever offered here), again with a sunroof as the only option.
In that time I added Bilstein dampers, a Kamei front air dam, a Raid 320 mm diameter aftermarket steering wheel, an Ansa exhaust system, and a set of Minilite replica wheels to the Euro Mercury (forgot who made them, but they were not Panasports) with Goodyear 'Wingfoot' radials on them.

Last edited:
Just gazed with great fondness, a few Mk1 Capris on my recent trip to the Autosport show. And I recall building a Monogram model of the Black Cat edition of the Capri when I was a kid. The best Capri I ever saw, however was a Fox body model. A friend took a Fox Capri, which had slightly bulged fenders compared to the Mustang. However he stripped the trim and added Mustang GT facia, rear bumper and lights and side skirts, got rid of the Fox Capri bubble back window and the result was really pretty.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
My fave ones were the road racing RS2600s with the injected Weslake built 12V engines , and the latter gen RS3100s with the Cossie 24V headed engines.

Those cars look GREAT with the box flares and huge wheel/tire setups, but still resemble a Capri, unlike the later 'silhouette' Group 5 Zakspeed Capri tube/'space' framed, 1.4L turbo engined cars where you can barely tell it's supposed to be a Capri.

Last edited:

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
My neighbor had one with the V6 when I was a kid. He was a real straight-laced sort of guy. I asked him if it was fast, and he said, "Yes, it is pretty peppy." Pretty sure he never really got on it.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I too owned (bought new) a 1976 Capri II Le-Cat Black.
I remember trading my purple Pinto for it.
It was my last year in the Navy when the Kitty Hawk was in the yards at Bremerton, WA.
I also taught my wife to drive in this car.

Dave

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
Our 2-liter '72 Capri cost $2700 new, no air conditioning. I used to drive it to court when I first started practicing law. When I got there on a hot summer day,I'd go in the bathroom,take my shirt off and take a sort of a sink bath to get semi-presentable.
It had about 100 hp, but would rev out nicely to redline. I took it to a hot rod shop to get a Sun tach on it, it had no tach from the factory. They looked at me a bit funny at first, a young kid with a foreign car, but once we started talking about cars all was good.
When it turned 100,00 miles, my dad and I had a little celebration in it. That was a big deal back then.

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
My neighbor had one with the V6 when I was a kid. He was a real straight-laced sort of guy. I asked him if it was fast, and he said, "Yes, it is pretty peppy." Pretty sure he never really got on it.

I got my MK2 V6 up to an indicated 120 MPH once, out in the desolate desert foothill roads outside of Tucson.

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12

Great find- I thought I remembered that slogan

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
I dont know much about these things but they sure are appealing.

Last edited:
Okay.. not actually a capri.. but in my old 1990 festiva, which greatly inspired my FiST purchase, I have been and still am considering a Capri XR2 1.6T motor swap for that chassis.

But really I'm just jealous of the awesome styling of the older Capris. Looking back, I'm sure they were a killer car to own when they were first released.

I had a yellow 1972 Capri when I was in high school. I loved that car. I had it until I went to college in 1975 when I bought a Chevy Blazer. I went to school at Syracuse and needed the 4 wheel drive. So many fond memories of that car.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
While a stock boy back in 79 . A co worker informed me the new guy has a V6 Capri that he claims will beat your 429 CJ Torino. We lined up after work and he hangs right with me. Turns out he had the Dobi turbo kit . He later swapped a 302 small block , car caught a lot of people by surprise.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I remember the Rokstock Capris/kits out of the Oregon back when I had mine.

I LUSTED after one of their full RSR conversions for my 2.8S, but it was almost TWICE the price of the cost of the car when NEW for said conversion, and only a little less for the DIY kit, so i had to pass.