Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Help deciding coilover for autocross use.

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
I'm having a real hard time deciding on a coilover setup for this car. I autocross the thing a decent amount and will be running in sth class this year.I do rack up a lot of miles but ride quality isn't top on my list. I can handle a rough ride. All the coilovers I seem to see for our car have pretty low spring rates. The meisters are 5k front and 3k rear which to me seem little on soft side. I had swift springs on my car at one point and those were right around 4K rates so I just can't see going softer on coilovers. It seems many like meister built them for comfort........ I found ISC coilovers that have 6k and 4K springs but reviews are hit or miss. Also been looking into the fortune autos which are also 6k and 4K rates but not really anyone using them on a fist.And then there is the custom valved bc and swift spring option from 2j racing. I'm not sure if there are any other routes I should consider??? I would like to keep under $1500 and closer to $1000 the better. Any insight would be great.

codestp202

I'm in the same boat as you. Meister R's seem like the best choice at around 1k. Really nice to have the adjustable camber

OP
P

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
I'm in the same boat as you. Meister R's seem like the best choice at around 1k. Really nice to have the adjustable camber

They are just too soft I believe for track and autocross use. Wish they offered with higher spring rates and valving as an option....... 2 different versions. Track and autocross and daily driver non track used.

codestp202

The ST XTA do not appear to be performance minded at all. Progressive spring rates, no camber adjustment. They are cheaper KW v1's which are already not track focused coilovers.

The ST XTA do not appear to be performance minded at all. Progressive spring rates, no camber adjustment. They are cheaper KW v1's which are already not track focused coilovers.
I come from the miata community and MeisterR had two option of coilovers for us. The softer setup which is what he offers currently for the fist and a track focused setup. I run the track focused setup coilovers from MeisterR on my current car. I wouldn't use the softer ones on the track and that's the general consensus on the miata forums. So, with that being said, My advice would be to go with another coilover, and the only other one I see here would be the ST XTA(the cheaper KW V2's) Yes it's progressive, but it does allow for some adjustment and I believe may be stiffer when cranked up than the offered CRD setup for the Fist. Another similar Spring rate linear option to the CRD would be the K-Sport coilovers. But anyway, that was my thought process when I wrote the ST Xta comment. "Right Foot Down" on youtube has had both the MeisterR coilovers and the ST XTA's and autocrosses. If he's on here he may be able to give a better opinion.

codestp202

I come from the miata community and MeisterR had two option of coilovers for us. The softer setup which is what he offers currently for the fist and a track focused setup. I run the track focused setup coilovers from MeisterR on my current car. I wouldn't use the softer ones on the track and that's the general consensus on the miata forums. So, with that being said, My advice would be to go with another coilover, and the only other one I see here would be the ST XTA(the cheaper KW V2's) Yes it's progressive, but it does allow for some adjustment and I believe may be stiffer when cranked up than the offered CRD setup for the Fist. Another similar Spring rate linear option to the CRD would be the K-Sport coilovers. But anyway, that was my thought process when I wrote the ST Xta comment. "Right Foot Down" on youtube has had both the MeisterR coilovers and the ST XTA's and autocrosses. If he's on here he may be able to give a better opinion.
All good input. The search continues!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Springs can be changed (both rates AND from progressive to linear types) on coil over setups, that's one of the whole points of them.

But yes, the problem is going to a spring rate well outside of the range of the valving of the dampers, which would be worse than just using the low rate, progressive springs they came with. ;)

I am thinking about the Bilstein B14s, but I am having a hard time finding out just what range of replacement linear spring rate their valving can handle. [:(]

Springs can be changed (both rates AND from progressive to linear types) on coil over setups, that's one of the whole points of them.

But yes, the problem is going to a spring rate well outside of the range of the valving of the dampers, which would be worse than just using the low rate, progressive springs they came with. ;)

I am thinking about the Bilstein B14s, but I am having a hard time finding out just what range of replacement linear spring rate their valving can handle. [:(]
I also like the B14's and consider them as my next upgrade, as far as the OP's question goes a buddy of mine uses the BC racing custom valved to his liking for over 2 years for the same intent and purpose , good ride quality when turned down but a monster at autocross and/or small race course when you stiffen the settings up . Temperatures change very often up where he is at and he's been giving it hell . So durability is no question for him either. The only problem is i heard adjusting rear suspension is a pita on these cars , and that determines the ride quality more than the front , but also i don't feel FiST's should be made much more stiffer in the back with the suspension design that it has. Overall I'm pretty set on B14's for the unquestionable quality and experience combined with the simpleness and good ride quality ( or so i heard ) . I plan on very occasional track days though and I'm lazy to keep adjusting the suspension on a daily so that's why I think the BC's are good for the OP :)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^Yes, the B14s are looking like an option right now, but I am sure that I would want a higher rate LINEAR spring than what they come with, and I'm NOT sure that their 'off the shelf' valving can handle that, and I definitely do NOT want to have them opened and revalved. [nono]

The other options I am considering are the GC coil over conversion on Koni Sports, and either the same kit, or just a Swift Spec R spring on Bilstein B8s. ;)

OP
P

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
^^^Yes, the B14s are looking like an option right now, but I am sure that I would want a higher rate LINEAR spring than what they come with, and I'm NOT sure that their 'off the shelf' valving can handle that, and I definitely do NOT want to have them opened and revalved. [nono]

The other options I am considering are the GC coil over conversion on Koni Sports, and either the same kit, or just a Swift Spec R spring on Bilstein B8s. ;)

Contacted ground control guy last week. He said working on but no idea when will be ready. I heard same thing over year ago from them.

Last edited:
Contacted ground control guy last week. He said working on but no idea when will be ready. I heard same thing 2 years ago from them.
ive been working with GC for a bit, they are indeed working on something and were hoping to have a set ready for me before this autox season kicked off but were not able to complete it yet

OP
P

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #14
ive been working with GC for a bit, they are indeed working on something and were hoping to have a set ready for me before this autox season kicked off but were not able to complete it yet

I wouldn't hold your breath for anything soon. Like said I was in contact with them about two years ago and got pretty much same answer as now. But maybe since your working with them it will happen lol. Everyone will have to thank you when they make them......

Last edited:
OP
P

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #15
So I emailed 2j racing about the custom valved swift combo and they got back to
Me in under 2 hours. I think gonna go this route. Just not sure on what spring rates yet.

codestp202

Me in under 2 hours. I think gonna go this route. Just not sure on what spring rates yet.
Custom valving on what dampers? would like more info on pricing ect

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Do they give you the (extra cost, but with credit from their 'stock' setup springs) option of Swift coil over springs, or do you have to take whatever they use on everything else?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I wouldn't hold your breath for anything soon. Like said I was in contact with them about two years ago and got pretty much same answer as now. But maybe since your working with them it will happen lol. Everyone will have to thank you when they make them......
Yeah, I certainly hope that this does not turn into another Tomei titanium exhaust scenario. [:(]

codestp202

Do they give you the (extra cost, but with credit from their 'stock' setup springs) option of Swift coil over springs, or do you have to take whatever they use on everything else?
When you're building it, it costs $998 to choose your own springs, to add swift springs you have to add $175 for front, and $175 for rears. So it's an additional $350 to get swift springs. Doesn't look like you get any credit from them not using their stock springs. Kind of weak, you'd think it would be like $800 + $350