Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Pick my suspension mods

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
THANKS!

I was asking about whether or not they used a FRONT, under hood cross bar type brace to tie and strengthen/reinforce those diagonal, through the dash/firewall, into the FRONT towers down bars.

This may appear to some as a "strut tower brace", and they may use it to justify the need for them, when in reality it may be there to only act as a reinforcement to those front diagonal cage tubes in a side impact against rocks or trees in an 'off'. [dunno]

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
the only justification needed for companies to make braces or anything else is somebody with a bag of money willing to give away for something they can make. If the market thinks they work and will buy them, then make them and sell them as fast as you can. Braces look race car-ish and race car-ish stuff sells. Heck, I have Martini race car-ish stripes on my car because I like them. They provide zero function, but I still threw money at them. I am no way above adding race car-ish stuff that isn't functional. My Mountune Splitter is for looks and that is it. I would be wrong to say that it actually did anything for performance. I won't try to sell anyone on that it does anything other than look good and limit the approach angle on driveways.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
the only justification needed for companies to make braces or anything else is somebody with a bag of money willing to give away for something they can make. If the market thinks they work and will buy them, then make them and sell them as fast as you can. Braces look race car-ish and race car-ish stuff sells. Heck, I have Martini race car-ish stripes on my car because I like them. They provide zero function, but I still threw money at them. I am no way above adding race car-ish stuff that isn't functional. My Mountune Splitter is for looks and that is it. I would be wrong to say that it actually did anything for performance. I won't try to sell anyone on that it does anything other than look good and limit the approach angle on driveways.
FULLY UNDERSTOOD, AND AGREED! [thumb]

I was just asking IF these fully prepped, actual rally cars have a welded-into their cage structure, FRONT cross brace tube between either the shock towers, or between the diagonal cage tubes which go into the front shock towers, that's all. ;)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
OK, so that appears to be tied into the firewall near the center for triangulation, correct?

The TON run/supported R2 cars use Reiger dampers as well as the R5s/WRCs? [cool]

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
OK, so that appears to be tied into the firewall near the center for triangulation, correct?

The TON run/supported R2 cars use Reiger dampers as well as the R5s/WRCs? [cool]
I think the tubes cross through the firewall and go into the a-pillar tubes. I have some pictures someplace of the bare frames being worked on and you can see how the tubes connect. The left side strut tube goes to the right side a-pillar tube and the right strut tower goes to the left a-pillar tube. They meet in the middle behind the firewall. I think MSport had the pictures posted of how the front of the roll cage works.

Trip to the Team O'Neil Rally School by Bryan Redeker, on Flickr

Here is how OlsbergMSE does it on the GRC cars
DSC_8861 by Bryan Redeker, on Flickr

Trip to the Team O'Neil Rally School by Bryan Redeker, on Flickr

Yes, they use Reiger dampers. You can see the purple remote reservoir on this R2 at TON.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
THANKS again! [thumb]

Yes, I have seen some diagrams where the front tower brace tubes cross like that to opposite sides of the interior side down sloping/dash cage tubes.
That makes even more sense yet since it is an extra point of triangulation of the cage. [:)]

Hmmm, I wonder just how many of my organs I would have to sell for a set of THOSE Reigers (IF they are a less costly version Reiger than what Mr. Wilson uses on his teams', and his customers' rides)?
Albeit, yes, I would want the tarmac travel/length versions, IF that level (the ones TON is using) damper/coil over is even made in asphalt trim. [dunno]