Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Impossible Headlight Re-install

Hey everyone,

I just got through installing my Whoosh Motorsports intercooler and I’m having either a brain fart or just plain incompetence. I cannot get the headlights back in the car to save my life. I’ve spent almost the same time trying to work the headlights back in than I did actually removing the bumper, installing the intercooler, and re installing the bumper (including having to fight with the splash shield and making several cuts/trims).

Can someone give me some tips on reinstallation of the headlights? I’ve tried sliding them in, forcing them in, and even thrown up a few prayers. Nothing has worked. I can get the front part in but it never clicks in the white tab and the back part at the windshield gets stuck on the fender. The bumper looks lined up to me at the fender edges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flaco

2000 Post Club
The white clip under the headlight can be moved forward/backward and angled left/right a bit. You have to fiddle with it some but when you get it in the right position the headlight will click into the clip. At the back of the headlight you'll have to put a little force on it to tuck it behind the fender. Then you should be able to move the headlight a bit forward and backward and that little stud will drop in the hole at the rear. If that wont get it, start all over again remove bumper cover put the 6 bolts in at the fenders, leave them loose.Then all the screws at the front bottom of the cover put them in but leave them loose to. Tighten the six bolts at the fenders alternating from left/right then those bottom screws tighten those down and the cover should be good. Your bumper cover is slightly out of alignment. I had the same problem. That procedure worked for me. I have removed the bumper cover a couple of times on both of my ST's.

OP
P
Thread Starter #3
The white clip under the headlight can be moved forward/backward and angled left/right a bit. You have to fiddle with it some but when you get it in the right position the headlight will click into the clip. At the back of the headlight you'll have to put a little force on it to tuck it behind the fender. Then you should be able to move the headlight a bit forward and backward and that little stud will drop in the hole at the rear. If that wont get it, start all over again remove bumper cover put the 6 bolts in at the fenders, leave them loose.Then all the screws at the front bottom of the cover put them in but leave them loose to. Tighten the six bolts at the fenders alternating from left/right then those bottom screws tighten those down and the cover should be good. Your bumper cover is slightly out of alignment. I had the same problem. That procedure worked for me. I have removed the bumper cover a couple of times on both of my ST's.
Thanks so much! I used your method and they popped right in. There is still some uneven bumper gap near the headlights and fenders but that’ll be a battle for a different day.

jeff

2000 Post Club
Moving that white clip into the right position before reinstalling makes it super easy. I’ve done mine so many times and they go in and out in a few seconds now that I’ve learned that trick.

Seems like a lot of us have bumper fitment problems after installing intercoolers. I used some zip ties inside around the area where the hood latch lays and it pulled the bumper up nice and tight.

brbauer2

Moving that white clip into the right position before reinstalling makes it super easy. I’ve done mine so many times and they go in and out in a few seconds now that I’ve learned that trick.

Seems like a lot of us have bumper fitment problems after installing intercoolers. I used some zip ties inside around the area where the hood latch lays and it pulled the bumper up nice and tight.
Mind grabbing a picture to show where?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

OP
P
Thread Starter #6
I think the white clip was part of my problem. It kept moving on me when I went to insert the headlight. I had to forcefully push it in the right spot to get it to stay while I maneuvered the headlight in place

jeff

2000 Post Club
Mind grabbing a picture to show where?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
No problem, the first pic shows the two spots where I double zip-tied (I stuck a yellow one there just for the picture to show where they are, it's pointing to the 2 areas). The second pic shows how the bumper sits flush with the hood. Before I added the zip ties my car looked like it had a slight underbite. Not sure if it was the big mouth or FMIC, I installed them together and afterward it didn't fit quite perfect until the zip ties.

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

brbauer2

No problem, the first pic shows the two spots where I double zip-tied (I stuck a yellow one there just for the picture to show where they are, it's pointing to the 2 areas). The second pic shows how the bumper sits flush with the hood. Before I added the zip ties my car looked like it had a slight underbite. Not sure if it was the big mouth or FMIC, I installed them together and afterward it didn't fit quite perfect until the zip ties.
Thanks!

Yeah, mine has a little bit of an underbite. I did the FMIC, big mouth, and shaved the grill all in one go so I figured it had to be one of those that did it.

I'll try and take some before and after pictures when I get around to doing this...won't be for a while though, no garage space and too cold to be messing with plastic bits.

I have an MAP FMIC and that thing was a pain to fit the front bumper back on. I got it all back together but now the two bottom plastic tabs do not slip into the plastic housings under the bumper. I eventually got it all back together but this made everything harder to line up. My bumper too, has a slight underbite. I actually kind of enjoy the way it looks now.

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Did you zip tie the hood prop down??

jeff

2000 Post Club
Did you zip tie the hood prop down??
Yessir, I have installed hood struts so the prop rod isn't needed!!! Didn't zip it down on purpose, it was in the way of where I wanted the zip ties, but since I don't need my prop rod I just zip tied over it.

[video=youtube;pYS0BM0xhcM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYS0BM0xhcM[/video]