Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Is an exhaust upgrade necessary?

So far I'm stuck. I can't find real flow data of the stock exhaust versus a bolt on Cobb, for example. I'm trying to figure out if I run a depo ic with the tune, and gain much from a Cobb car back versus stock. I really like the low rumble and how mellow and no drone stock has.

Do they flow that much more than stock, and is it a necessary upgrade to get power out of these? Downpipe stays as I want to retain warranty and undo mods if something breaks

From what I've gathered.... no... downpipe makes a difference and unless you go big turbo, the stock exhaust actually flows very well. Weight benefit maybe? but these cars sound pretty gnarly with the right exhaust so there is that...

I have a Mountune catback as my only mod so far. No perceptible performance difference but it sounds better to me. Stock exhaust was too quiet for my tastes.

Save your money. grab a GFB DV, FMIC, a flash and a drop in filter. From what i've read the catbacks and intakes are mainly for sound on the stock turbo. I'd also do a downpipe but that is up to you. Buy your AP from a tuner and it should come with a free flash tune.

OP
S
Thread Starter #5
What's up with the divertor valve? Necessary or putting lipstick on a pig?

brbauer2

What's up with the divertor valve? Necessary or putting lipstick on a pig?
The stock one is plastic. Not an issue in the short term, but can lead to leaks down the road.

I felt quicker throttle response as well as better spool times between shifts after installing mine.

I am running a stage 3 Cobb ots tune without a CBE. It sounds great to me. I eventually want to do a hybrid turbo on 91 octane, stock exhaust with a res delete. It will be more mild than most on meth or E30 making 300-330hp. I imagine I will be in the 250-270 range but I think this setup will be easier on the engine in terms of longevity. The stock exhaust looks great to me and will be a little louder once I get my hybrid setup going. I agree that CBE is mainly for sound and fun, mild performance gains unless going big turbo.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
I didn't notice anything from the FSWerks exhaust, besides more noise and larger tips. It does weight a little less since it only has a single muffler. I bought mine for sound and different tips, so it did what I was looking for. The downside of an aftermarket exhaust is that it may rust more and not fit as good as the factory system. I have to do quite a bit of cleaning and polishing in the spring to clean up the corrosion from the winter.